RE: Wildlife Starts Here

in Wildlife Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Weasel seen at nine o'clock tonight on cleadon hills near Old Mans Garden as i crossed the stile. Quite a few bats flying about too on my way back

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:06 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
Weasel seen at nine o'clock tonight on cleadon hills near Old Mans Garden as i crossed the stile. Quite a few bats flying about too on my way back

Ian

Since you mentioned that one I have seen a weasel the last two nights on the main road by the parking area.

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

I'll have to keep a eye out for it in future Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

There seems to be a couple of 'tame' Foxes hanging around Saltholme at the moment - they allow people to get exceptionally close - to within 12 feet..

Couple of pictures from a trip down there today;

Attached pictures:
16-07-11_0001.jpg
16-07-11-00169.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:59 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk along Marsden beach this morning despite the rain. Lots of the usual birds present but nice to see a couple of terns diving for fish. Also single redshank.

Found a dead fish washed up beside Camel's Island and despite years of sea fishing I have never seen one like this before. I have looked on the internet and think it was a lumpsucker. It was about 8 or 9 inches long and mainly grey in colour although the belly was a reddy orange colour. It had lumps/modified spines on the lateral line with a spotty head. It wasn't a long, round fish like a mackerel it was more squat and round.

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

It wouldn't have been a 'Ray's Bream' by any chance, would it Brian?
I know they get mysteriously washed up along the east coast in large numbers at certain times of the year - just a thought mate

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:48 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Dougie
It wouldn't have been a 'Ray's Bream' by any chance, would it Brian?
I know they get mysteriously washed up along the east coast in large numbers at certain times of the year - just a thought mate

Cheers,
Dougie.

I did think initially about bream but it was the orange/red belly and spotted head which made me think it was something else. As usual no camera with me when you need it

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:59 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Definitely a Lumpsucker from the description Brian, Rays Bream tend to be washed up in the winter when the cold water disorientates them and they are all silver, powerful, deep bodies fish with large eyes. Here's a few we picked up off Shields beach last winter (mobile phone photos).

Attached pictures:
rays1.jpg
rays2.jpg
rays3.jpg
rays4.jpg

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Last edited Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:10 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Here's a Lumpsucker, I think they get washed up at this time of year after spawning when they are caught out by the tides?

Attached pictures:
Lumpsucker.jpg

Last edited Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Here's a Lumpsucker, I think they get washed up at this time of year after spawning when they are caught out by the tides?

Thanks Rob, definitely the lumpsucker. Although the one that I saw was slightly worse condition as the eyes has gone missing.

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:13 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

imm. Fox seen at the bottom of Hyde street/ Westoe rd. at 1.40am last night ..as I arrived home after being at Whitburn. Dog I think ( slim built, but big tail mainly dark in colour) it just trotted pasted my car as I turned into the street... probably on its way to KFC.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:19 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Fox ran out in front of me last night at 00:15am on King George Road / Holmfield Avenue. Looked like it was chasing a cat?

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Fox ran out in front of me last night at 00:15am on King George Road / Holmfield Avenue. Looked like it was chasing a cat?

A friend on mine who lives in West Avenue has been woken a few times during the night by groups of foxes pulling cats to pieces.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:25 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

A few more shots from my recent week in Dumfries, didn't want to mix them up in the bird thread. Disappointing tally of mammals and reptiles/amphibians, but it was very busy in most areas being August. Dipped on "live" Badger, Fox, Hare and Red Squirrel and only managed a frog and a toad from a marshy area of the Mabie Forest, hopefully not a sign of the times. All these shots were from the bedroom window:

Attached pictures:
3651a.jpg
3801a.jpg
4588a.jpg

Last edited Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Took this photo the other day,This Squirrel has been visiting my garden nearly everyday since may.It come's any time of day.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1968.JPG

Last edited Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:37 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: