Page 4 of 23 previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23 next Page

RE: What on earth is this??

in Wildlife Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by MrsMick
What's a Khaki Campbell??

Joanne

I've a feeling Mick is going to regret you asking that. Next stop the full Good Life back garden. Pigs and all.

Paul

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

What's a Khaki Campbell??

It's a duck Joanne. I used to have a dozen in the back garden a few years ago, along with Guinea pigs, rabbits and a dwarf angora goat called Katy.

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 pm
by MrsMick | 17 Posts

Ah, I see! Not sure Nellie & Sam would like a duck - love Katy the goat!

Joanne

www.northerndigifocus.co.uk

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Ah, I see! Not sure Nellie & Sam would like a duck - love Katy the goat!

She was a little cutey! We rescued her off a lad at Haswell auctions for £5 as a 6 week old kid and had to wean her on goats milk in a bottle. She always preferred to be fed that way and we would regularly give her a "comforter" after work as she obviously missed us and liked nothing better than to spend time in the house with us and the dogs! Once she reached full size (think Labrador size) she devasted our garden and then jumped the fence into next doors and destroyed his pride and joy as well! We rehomed her on a farm along the Military Road shortly after, but it broke our hearts to lose "the bairn" that we had probably rescued from certain death as she was too young to leave her mother.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Ya big softy!!!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Originally posted by jason
Ya big softy!!!

Excuse me Jason, but you'll find I'm a GEET BIG SOFTY!!!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Jan seen a pip.?( small) bat tonight at 7pm over Derby St.Shields.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:49 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Steve

Make sure Jason knows about it will you.

John

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Not seen any bats so far this year, but we normally get several "pips" every night in the summer as the street light in the back lane attracts loads of moths.

Two good places in Shields to see good numbers of bats are the footpath on the dragon which runs alongside with the caravan park and the footpath which runs between the back of Cotman Gardens in Whiteleas ans the Tilesheds LNR.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Another good place to see pips is the path that runs down from the White Horse pub to the Old Marsden Quarry, my mate lives in Beaconside and he saw them fly past his window last night!................Laurence.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Went out Into my garden just after 9 tonight,Hedgehog In garden.

Scroll up

Small mammal trapping

in Wildlife Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:02 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Under the guidance of Clare Rawcliffe from South Tyneside Council some of the CCG have been doing some small mammal trapping in Whitburn country park. We set 10 traps on Thursday evening, following our training course, but set them so they wouldn't trap to allow the mammals to get used to them.

Last night Clare went around all of the traps and set them to trap and early this morning we went along to recover them.

There were five traps which contained mammals; 2 male wood mice, two female woodmice and a male common shrew. All mammals returned to their natural habitats unharmed.

The purpose of the trapping was to get to know the traps, how to locate and set them and to identify the mammals. Good time had by all.

Brian

Attached pictures:
CCG1.jpg
CCG2.jpg

Scroll up

RE: Small mammal trapping

in Wildlife Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:05 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Your shots came out better than mine Brian from this morning and pleased you managed to get a excellent shot of the common shrew. When the rest of the lads post thiers we can decide which one's to pass onto Clare as she has expressed just a few be passed on because of work load etc...
I have to say this was a fully enjoyable experience, from the first talk/training by Clare about the traps and mammals we were likely to encounter, last nights setting the traps to catch and further baiting to this mornings opening them..A project we must look into further and include more people interested.
After you and John left we visited the moth trap at Souter ...Totally new experience for me again but it was interesting, I think 6 species of Moth were recorded 2 of which are not common up north...a good count apprently for this time of year. Jason has the full details on species names.
Massive thanks again to Clare and the ST countryside team for this event.

Attached pictures:
IMG_7232 (Small).JPG
IMG_7226 (Small).JPG
IMG_7238 (Small).JPG
IMG_7243 (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:38 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
Your shots came out better than mine Brian from this morning and pleased you managed to get a excellent shot of the common shrew. When the rest of the lads post thiers we can decide which one's to pass onto Clare as she has expressed just a few be passed on because of work load etc...
I have to say this was a fully enjoyable experience, from the first talk/training by Clare about the traps and mammals we were likely to encounter, last nights setting the traps to catch and further baiting to this mornings opening them..A project we must look into further and include more people interested.
After you and John left we visited the moth trap at Souter ...Totally new experience for me again but it was interesting, I think 6 species of Moth were recorded 2 of which are not common up north...a good count apprently for this time of year. Jason has the full details on species names.
Massive thanks again to Clare and the ST countryside team for this event.

Dougie's shots looked good on the camera screen so hopefully he will have some better than mine

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:11 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Final score CCG5 - Mammals 0. That has a familiar ring to it

Brian

Scroll up

Page 4 of 23 previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23 next Page

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: