RE: Wildlife Starts Here

in Wildlife Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Quote: Ray-S wrote in post #283
A few shots of the Seal we saw today, along the pier, which had damage to Its back flipper.
Ray,That's a nice smile on pic 3 ,Also like pic 5, Seal Is never there when I go.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

The resident foxes in a customers garden in Harton House Rd have suffered a setback this year after 3 years of trouble free breeding. One of the cubs managed to squeeze through the decking and was promptly killed by 2 of the Chow Chows yesterday morning.

Myxy still showing in the resident Boldon Flats Rabbit population. 78 Brown Rats (as of this morning) have been trapped this weekend at a nearby stables which has got to be good news for the resident ground nesting birds.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk
http://www.robadairpetcare.mobi
Scroll up

in Wildlife Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Week of surprises with a fox in the garden on Sunday morning 10:30 am and this morning out on the bike and turned onto Grosvenor rd from Bamburgh ave and what I thought was a Song Thrush on the road in front of me turned out to be a Redwing !

Attached pictures:
003 copy.jpg

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Last edited Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:26 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Come across this a couple of day's ago....I don't know If It's Otter spraint or not,I couldn't get any closer..

Attached pictures:
DSCF1789-001.JPG

Last edited Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:31 pm
by Ray-S | 207 Posts

Seal makes the local fishermen jealous.

Taken today from the pier.

Attached pictures:
Seal with Fish_G9A7255.jpg

Ray

Last edited Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:31 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Grey seal on Little haven beach 5:30am this morning

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Weasel on trow point tonight

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:38 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

I come across an Otter this morning (10-15 a.m. River Don).(Can't give excact location for obvious reason's).It was only about 8ft away from me,It looked straight at me, As I lifted my camera up.The Otter jumped Into water....There was a lady standing with me,so we just stood and watched the air bubble's In the river as the otter swam away..What a beautiful creature....

Last edited Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:02 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a run out on the boat today from Sunderland marina and stopped around the 3 mile mark as loads on mackerel shoals were showing on the fish finder.

While the boat was stopped I heard a blowing noise and there at the side of the boat were two dolphins (didn't get a chance to identify them) followed by 3 minke wales.

All the animals submerged and went under my boat and surfaced again on the other side. Great sight to see. Slightly further out I saw another two single minke wales. I wonder if they are feeding on the remaining mackerel shoals.

Back at the marina a common seal pup has taken up residence and this was hanging around my boat for a while coming up to the surface to bask in the sun. Great day for wild life, bad day for fishing

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Interesting morning while making breakfast I saw a Sparrowhawk land on the lawn and watched as it investigated a movement at the side of the lawn by the undergrowth.

Turned out it was a weasel it was interested in but seemed reluctant to attack it.

Anyway the weasel ran up a piece of drainpipe at the side of the lawn and waited until the Sparrowhawk took off.

Attached pictures:
005.JPG
008.JPG

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Grey seal pup on Littlehaven beach just now - Mrs Mckie sent me a snap of it this afternoon as she was walking the dog (who was immediately put on the lead). It was swiming back onto shore as I watched and seemed very relaxed. Hope the little bugger will be ok.

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Wildlife Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:27 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Saw a sow hedgehog in Whitburn Country park last night which I was surprised at as I thought they would have all been tucked up for the winter by now. Does this hedgehog suffer from insomnia or is it still too early for winter sleep?

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Quote: Brian.G wrote in post #297
Saw a sow hedgehog in Whitburn Country park last night which I was surprised at as I thought they would have all been tucked up for the winter by now. Does this hedgehog suffer from insomnia or is it still too early for winter sleep?

The outside Hog we are fostering Brain is in a state of what I would think is semi -hibernation this late November. The in-doors one is still having a party most nights.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:43 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 pm

This is totally additive, and highly recommended.

E-mail-

Dear Otter Spotters

You are receiving this email either because you volunteered to take part in the 2013 DWT Otter Survey or you have indicated that you would like to take part in 2014.

The dates for the 2014 survey have now been set so please put the weekend of 26th/27th April 2014 in your diaries.

Please can you let me know (if you haven't already) whether or not you are available for the 2014 survey.

If you participated this year can you also let me know if you are happy with your patch/sites. If not we can discuss changing or refining to give you the best experience and chance of finding otter spraint/tracks. Once this has been agreed I can start allocating patches to new volunteers.

I will be running training/refresher courses in otter survey techniques in February, March and April next year. Can you let me know if you would like to attend so I can get an idea of numbers? I have pencilled in three dates for training at Low Barns, Witton le Wear on 1st March, 15th March and 5th April. If there is enough demand I will try and arrange to hold an additional session in February at WWT Washington for those of you in northern areas.

I hope you are all looking forward as much as I am to seeing how the results of next year's survey compare with those of 2013.

Best wishes and Happy Christmas to you all

Vivien

This covers our local stretch of the Don etc. to the Tyne.

Last edited Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:00 pm

If anyone fancies taking part get in touch with Vivien Kent, vkent@durhamwt.co.uk

What this involves is checking the area's that you have been allocated on both days at around the same time of day. (preferable early morning) Logging any old or new sign's of otter presence and reporting this via a survey sheet after this weekend. This info. gives a fantastic insight to how well the otter population is how doing within the Durham recording area...and wor stretch of the Don. You'll never look at a rock in the same way along Don again, I'll promise you that.

Last edited Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:03 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: