in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:15 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Fieldfare once again in the garden this afternoon until the Sparrowhawk

came and spoiled the proceedings.

Last edited Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:27 pm | Scroll up

RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:02 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Westoe cem. two visits today(in between viewing the beach and Marine park). 4 Brambling present this morning feeding on the ground beneath the centrel feeders. Also good numbers of Greenfinch again along with Golds and 15 or so Chaffs.
The 2 Robins here seem to have paired up now as the birds are tolerant of each other as other species have seemed to. Only one pair of Long tailed tits present and the Blues and Greats are pairing off also but still in loose groups.
About 30 Redwings in the centre of the Cem. later today also the Woody put in a brief appearance here.

Couple of record shots-

Attached pictures:
Bramblings.jpg
westoe redwing.jpg

Last edited Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:04 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

I put a load of fruit on the ground beneath the central feeders first thing this morning when I topped them up. The feeders are really getting hit hard again at the moment, this pairing up must be giving them an appetite!

No Bramblings first thing, but plenty of Greens, Golds and Chaffs plus all the usual tits (at least 6 LLT). The 2 Robins were kicking about on the ground in the bottom left hand corner and a single Wren put in an appearance. Solitary Fieldfare flew overhead heading North on the walk back home.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Must say Rob your doing a great job in the Cem. and I keep promsing myself that I will pop down there to have look at the feeding area one day.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Must really be getting hit Rob I topped them up at 3 today and three of them were almost empty!.. Trip to the Nook tomorrow for more seed.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:05 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Yeah, top job with the feeding station, Rob - Yours, Steve’s & Jan’s combined efforts have, without a doubt, made a huge difference down there.

Wouldn’t it be great if every public park, cemetery, open space etc, had similar (government funded) facilities, which would remain vandalism free of course – dream on Doug.......

Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Zitat von Dougie
vandalism free of course – dream on Doug.......

Cheers, Dougie.

Yeah dream on Doug it's never gonna happen, as much as we would like it to.

Regards

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:43 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

It's getting to the stage now that when people see me coming to top up the feeders they clip their dogs back up and quickly leave the feeding area, they must think I work for the council or something!

Unfortunately the litter is starting to build up again both here and in the bushes higher up where the kids congregate to drink and smoke, so it looks as though another litter pick will be needed sometime shortly.

As far as vandalism goes Dougie, the only problem we have had this year was when some of the feeders were stolen. We think that this was the work of an "adult" (I could hardly call them "grown up" could I?) as kids would have probably trashed all of the feeders and not just carefully removed a few of the filled ones?

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Has anyone noticed that there doesn't seem to be many blackcap around? The last two winters I have had a male and then a female feeding on fruit but none this year. Even when out and about I haven't seem any for a while.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:54 pm

"Has anyone noticed that there doesn't seem to be many blackcap around? The last two winters I have had a male and then a female feeding on fruit but none this year. Even when out and about I haven't seem any for a while". quote

Not seen any since the turn of the year Brian, whilst viewing the Jarra Waxwings site before Christmas a male and female were present around Saxon way area.

Last edited Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:56 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Topped the cem feeders up at 2:30pm today. GSW in the feeding area with the usual collection of tits, finches, robins, sparrows and blackbirds. 20+ magpies making a load of commotion in the trees bordering Ladysmith Street, I was hoping for a Tawny but nothing found to be making them so vocal. Had a walk around and all the birds seemed "spooked" and were taking off before you could get within 60-70 yards of them, which isn't usual? Spotted the Redwings on the way out so nipped back home for some apples which I speared onto the ends of the nearby branches.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Had a couple of hours around Colliery wood about mid day with the dog in tow. Still a large flock of finches in the younger plantations.. some 70+ Golds, 60+ Lesser polls with at least 3 Mearly polls and around 10 Siskin. This flock is mainly hanging around the area set aside for the Dingy skipper butterflies as a feeder or two has been placed near here now.(pretty sure who's put them up but will check it out). Also smaller flocks are flying around the area.
Five Bullfinches near the Cotswolds feeders and all the commoner stuff....no Willow tits today or Jays. But 23 Pinkies went over north.

Viewed the Flats twice but nowt really to shout about. And only the usual Marsden carpark Med.gull showing on the way back along the Leas area.

Pants for photo's today due to the light.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Excellent avatar Dougie! that takes me back some years...

Last edited Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:53 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Had a run out today up to Ross Sands , walking to Lindisfarne and back but managed only Scoter, Eider, Brent, Curlew, Redshank, Oyster Catcher.

The tide had gone out and the light was pretty rubbish so all in all it was just a 6-7 mile walk up the beach and back.

Regards

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:56 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Barn owl flew across A194 saturday morning just before Little Chef. Cheers for the invite onto the site everyone.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: