RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:18 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I think Steve that Blackcap belongs to me and I want it back.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

In my garden today,Greenfinch,Chaffinch,Robin,Collared Dove's,Coal Tit,Great Tit,Blue Tit's.lot's of Blackbird's.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
I think Steve that Blackcap belongs to me and I want it back. John

When the super glue wears off its free to go!

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Originally posted by jarradug
In my observations the tree creeper is more abundant than the House Sparrow.

Sounds like theres a lack of spuggies Sid in your area.? Since I moved home and placed seed and fatballs in the small garden here, spuggies are the main source of birdlife to use them. Brian also mentioned he has no spuggies visiting his garden near Cleadon hills.

Last edited Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

None in mine either Steve !

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

As a group, we keep a good count of House Sparrows fed at Westoe Cem! Massive female Sparrowhawk changed tactics today and instead of her usual "smash and grab" she decided to slowly circle the feeding area several times, even the woodies sat tight until she left!

I had my grandson there last Friday on top up duties when she smashed a Blue Tit out of a bush about 3ft above our heads. Later on he told his mam that "granda fattens the little birds up for the big ones to eat!" Scarred for life!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

late report from yesterday afternoon, great crested greb off trow 3 rt divers, guillemot, 4 shag, 7 cormorants, 6 fulmar, and a diver i thought might of been a black throated any thoughts.

Attached pictures:
diver_.jpg
diver 2_.jpg
diver 3-.jpg
diver 4_.jpg
great crested grebe_.jpg

Last edited Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:18 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

mile end road this morning 2 brambling on feeders in claypit court. 6chaffinch, 4 goldfinch and the best count of greenfinch i've had for a while with 25 in a treetop in the churchyard.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:01 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

first little owl of the year for me at trow (main bowl), 18 fulmar on the sea and about the same amount on the wing. nice views of this kestrel.

Attached pictures:
kestrel 2_.jpg
little owl 3_.jpg

Last edited Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Originally posted by jarradug
In my observations the tree creeper is more abundant than the House Sparrow.

Sounds like theres a lack of spuggies Sid in your area.? Since I moved home and placed seed and fatballs in the small garden here, spuggies are the main source of birdlife to use them. Brian also mentioned he has no spuggies visiting his garden near Cleadon hills.

I had them In my Garden a few week's ago (Spuggies) but for some reason they've disappeared, (Same food In feeder's)The only Sparrow now Is a Hedge Sparrow.Has anyone noticed Blackbird's with dodgy beak's.I've photographed 2 but I've seen other one's In my garden,

Attached pictures:
DSCF0032.JPG
DSCF0033.JPG

Last edited Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Is the West Pastures site still worth a look around? Got some time on my hands but it has been ages since I was there as it got a bit 'uncomfortable' due to some of the people who were frequenting it.
(And no, I don't mean anyone off here before you start..... ;) )

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Nice to the Golden Plover back on the Leas this morning which makes a change from the usual Gulls, Jackdaw, and Crows. Fulmars are colonising the cliffs at both Marsden and Frenchman Bay and are a welcome return as they are such gracefull flyers and if you had the time you could sit and watch them all day.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Boldon Flats: Large flock of Lapwing, plenty Wigeon and a few male and female mallard. Twenty to thirty Greylag on the flats near the car parking area and in the fields across the road, one or two (all I could see) Redshank on the far side of the pond. Curlew in sporadic groups around the whole area as well as Moorhen and Coot on the water. Tree sparrows, blue and great tits on the feeders as well as the usual crows and Magpies. Lots of people coming and going asking if the Eagle Owl was about. It wasn't.

Went up to the path behind Whitburn school - Lots of Golden Plover in the field behind the firing range as well as Curlew, Redshank and lots of Lapwing. Eider duck on the sea in twos and threes and possible Scoter on a fly past (bit far out to be totally positive). Plover moved down onto the shore as the light was failing and the tide was coming in - also saw Dunlin, two purple sandpipers, Redshank, oystercatcher and turnstone as well as the usual gulls. Rock pipit on the cliff edge behind Whitburn school.

Chris

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Couple of Short -eared owls showing at 3ish today at West Pastures. Also a large female Peregrine which buzzed one of the owls.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Usual Pochard, Tufties and various gulls in Marine Park this afternoon. Lots of Sanderling and Turnstone on the beach near the pier as well as Razorbill x2 and a single Red Throated diver off the south side of the pier about three quarters of the way up. Two Harbour Porpoise also seen as the rain came down.
Ringed plover flock (about twenty) higher up the beach near the Lifeguard hut on the way back home.

Last edited Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: