RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

The Juv. Iceland gull showed nicely on the little beach by the marina today, also the adult bird flying around the harbour at Sunderland.

Attached pictures:
IMG_5694 (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:41 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 pm
by miller08 | 8 Posts

been back up at tea time, cudnt see anythin, this owl is defanitly lookin after itself very well, theres pellets all over, the owl gets very close but cudnt get to glove, a wud need some help if any 1 can, i was thinkin maybe tryin to get a big net see if we cud get it that way

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:47 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Did 3hrs pruning and tidying at the westoe cem feeders this morning, starting from where Steve left off that's the east side just about done now! Usual mixture of finchs and tits and a male sparrowhawk who performed a "smash and grab" on a blue tit only yards away from where I was working.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

iceland gull from roker yesterday, got the juv on the beach cheers steve. also 2 kittiwakes flying around the harbour. couple of shots from todays travels around ST.

Attached pictures:
iceland gull_.jpg
buzzard 1_.jpg
fox_.jpg
hare_.jpg

Last edited Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

62 Tufties on Marine park this morning and 9 Pochard(1 female). Fulmars visiting nest ledges in Marsden bay and c.250 rafting off here.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Male Blackcap came back to the garden feeding on the fat feeders yesterday.

The feeders all got hammered with Starling, Blackbird, Dunnock, Blue,Great,Coal Tits, Woodpigeon, Collared Doves and the resident Grey Squirel which is getting confident enough now to come on the patio and right up to the back door.

Attached pictures:
020.JPG
011.JPG

Last edited Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:02 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:33 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

Zitat von Steve Egglestone
62 Tufties on Marine park this morning and 9 Pochard(1 female). Fulmars visiting nest ledges in Marsden bay and c.250 rafting off here.

20 or so fulmar around jack rock (souter lighthouse), 6 brent geese heading north, couple of razorbill on the sea and a drake goosander flying south. one of the pochards from the marine park.

Attached pictures:
pochard_.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

appologies female goosander

Last edited Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:17 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Had a walk with Red this morning along Don,Sparrowhawk taking a Blackbird,20+ Redwing In Don Valley........Goldcrest,Long Tailed Tit's.Great Tit's.Blue Tit's, (St Paul's Church)..Song Thrush,Goldfinch,Wren,Robin,Curlew,Pheasant,Redshank,Turnstone.120+ Teal,All along Don Road.On my way home popped In to Jarrow Cem..Tree Creeper & 10+ Redwing.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

boldon cattery 4 woodcock
colliery woods 2snipe, 1 peregrine(fly over), 1 willow tit, 1 redwing, 2 bullfinch, 1 reed buniting, 200 redpoll (2 flocks 120 + 80), 12 goldfinch, dozens of great and blue tit, 7 moorhen, 6 LT tit, 1 wren, 1 pied wagtail.

Last edited Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

an injured hen harrier was found in the boldon area today by a dog walker. the bird was recovered by Peter Collins with an injury to its left wing, possibly from an overhead cable. the wound looked a couple of days old, and the bird was quite underweight. it is now in the hands of the RSPCA who will keep Peter updated with its progress.

Attached pictures:
injured harrier_.jpg
injured harrier 2_.jpg
injured harrier3_.jpg
injured harrier 4_.jpg

Last edited Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

sad news folks, the hen harriers wing is beyond repair, so the bird will unfortunately be put to sleep. the injury was more than likely to be from overhead cables and not as was feared from a gunshot wound

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Really sad news Keith especially as we don't get many HH in this area.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 pm
by DCJ | 64 Posts

keithmc "sad news folks, the hen harriers wing is beyond repair, so the bird will unfortunately be put to sleep. the injury was more than likely to be from overhead cables and not as was feared from a gunshot wound"

Absolutely awful news regarding this cracking bird, I have been photographing her since the 25/26 October last year, always had my shotgun with me as well, sad that it was the first thought of someone though! (That it was a gunshot wound)
The last time I took a foto of her was last Thursday; she wasn’t hunting in her usual spots but did take day old chicks that we left on a post, especially when the snow came.
She has been attacked and robbed by the buzzard and Harris hawk many, many times, also peregrines and sparrow hawks, a fox was even robbing her larder every week, a shame she nicked her wing on something.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

What a shame - i'm glad i managed to get a sighting earlier in the year.

Dave - how about posting a couple of pics of her while she was still well enough to fly and hunt?

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: