RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by keithmc
photographed this woodcock in boldon today, it landed in the verge under a small patch of trees, so i quietly made my way over and there it was.

Still trying for a good shot like yours of this species!. Dispite last years influx a one in Marine park out foxed me for weeks.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:25 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Eagle owl seen on Cleadon Hills again tonight at the usual time 17.15. That is three times in a month now. This time it was sitting on the east wall about half way along. The dogs saw it first and chased it. It flew into the 'Old Man's Garden' where it sat on top of a tree for a while.

When I got home there was a screeching noise coming from the back of the old quarry which sounded like a barn owl.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:38 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk through Temple Park this morning and the first been seen was a GS woodpecker (again in flight). Then a flock of 7 bullfinches; 3m & 4F.

Plenty of magpies, woodpigeons, blackbirds, blue & grey tits, etc.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:31 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Few birds from yesterday in the garden were GSW, Blackbird x 4, Dunnock, Blue Tit x 4, Great Tit x2, Coal Tit x2, Collared Dove x2, Woodpigeon x4, Greenfinch x2.

John

Attached pictures:
014 copy.jpg
024 copy.jpg
029 copy.jpg
031 copy.jpg
035 copy.jpg
023 copy.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk along Marsden beach this morning nothing much out of the ordinary apart from the Police and RNLI removing a body from the beach just south of the grotto

A couple of record shots from my garden today.

Brian

Attached pictures:
CCG1.jpg
CCG2.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a trip to Prestwick Carr again this afternoon - Shorties put on another fantastic show for the many photographers / birders. I decided to try stacked converters today which got me to an effective focal length of 1785mm - was difficult to find the birds due to the exceptionally narrow field of view - but am really pleased with some of my shots considering the shutter speeds of the pics below range from 1/25th to 1/100th second ..

So if anyone ever tells you converters don't work especially if they are stacked - just ignore them

Couple of pics.....

Attached pictures:
01-08-12-2379-DSC_0001.jpg
01-08-12-2412-DSC_0033.jpg
01-08-12-2458-DSC_0079.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Derek, I dont understand a word you've just said. But your pictures are superb!

http://jthompblog.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

i know what your talking about,brilliant photos

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Had a trip to Prestwick Carr again this afternoon - Shorties put on another fantastic show for the many photographers / birders. I decided to try stacked converters today which got me to an effective focal length of 1785mm - was difficult to find the birds due to the exceptionally narrow field of view - but am really pleased with some of my shots considering the shutter speeds of the pics below range from 1/25th to 1/100th second ..

So if anyone ever tells you converters don't work especially if they are stacked - just ignore them

Couple of pics.....

I know what you mean....,I haven't got a clue,All I can say Is Great Photo's

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

LOL - thanks lads

Next time we bump into each other i'll try to explain Jason - and promise i'll try not send you to sleep

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:33 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
Eagle owl seen on Cleadon Hills again tonight at the usual time 17.15. That is three times in a month now. This time it was sitting on the east wall about half way along. The dogs saw it first and chased it. It flew into the 'Old Man's Garden' where it sat on top of a tree for a while.

When I got home there was a screeching noise coming from the back of the old quarry which sounded like a barn owl.

Brian

Brian a lad i went to school with has got a couple of photos of the eagle owl on a lampost in east boldon, just waiting for them to be emailed to me.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Brian

Brian a lad i went to school with has got a couple of photos of the eagle owl on a lampost in east boldon, just waiting for them to be emailed to me.

I have heard of a few people getting photos of the owl and it would be great to see some published. It seems that the owl chooses some strange places to roost and if you are lucky enough to be there at the time you can shoot away happily without disturbing it.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

I have heard of a few people getting photos of the owl and it would be great to see some published. It seems that the owl chooses some strange places to roost and if you are lucky enough to be there at the time you can shoot away happily without disturbing it.

Brian[/quote]

heres the photos my mate took a couple of days after christmas

Attached pictures:
eagle owl-.jpg
eagle owl 2_.jpg

Last edited Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

seen a short eared owl over boldon today

Attached pictures:
shorty 1_.jpg

Last edited Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:36 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Brian

heres the photos my mate took a couple of days after christmas[/quote]
Well done that lad getting a couple of shots of the bird. And thank him for sharing these.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: