RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Thanks lads

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:49 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Yeah, that's a smashin' photo Ian - well done mate.
It's one of them that I wish i'd taken myself.....

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Originally posted by keithmc
after seeing this bird yesterday i thought it could be a caspian gull. i went back today with the camera and put the photos on BF and surfbirds ID pages. the majority on both websites agree it is more than likely a caspian x herring gull hybrid.

Nicely picked out Keith - glad you got an positive I.D on it mate.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

was talking to someone today who told me that the ponds at cock crow inn are actually classed as gateshead, the boundry line goes through the car park. i've looked on the internet and have found a couple of maps. one shows the boundry on the eastern shore, the other shows the boundry runs quite a way west of the ponds, putting them in south tyneside. anyone have any thoughts on whether to include birds seen here as south tyneside sightings.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

aye dougie these younger birds are hard enough to id without the added confusion of hybrids.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:32 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

The joys of birds & birding, Keith - I think they only cross breed in order to keep us on our toes mate

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Aye a cracking photo Ian

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:46 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

On the subject of "mixed up/hybrids" this one was on Marine park a couple of days back. Pretty sure Ive not seen this one here before nor since. Smaller than the Mallards it was hanging out with, Tufty cross was the best I could come up with. But the "stiff tail" had me baffled.???

Attached pictures:
IMG_4273 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:50 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:57 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

female red breasted merganser off the big beach today, 2 lesser black backs in with the GBBs. 6 shag off the cannon plus 2 RT divers. eider seen pretty much all the way along to marsden. 1 lapland bunting at frenchmans. a young seal pup was beached at the black path just south of boaty's, i walked right up to it and it didnt move. i was a bit concerned that it may have been unwell, but after a while it became more active, and as the tide came closer it made its way back into the sea where an adult waited about 80 yards from the shore. on my way back 150 geese flew south west probably pinkies. i saw this pig yesterday at colliery woods rooting around, the kids thought it was great and chased it up the path

Attached pictures:
rbm-.jpg
seal pup_.jpg
pfg_.jpg
pig_.jpg

Last edited Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:00 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Keith

Will you stop finding things like pigs as I can see I am going to have to start a "Pig" section now along with "Birds", "Butterflies" etc.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:27 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Nice one Kid, Still waiting to find a seal thats hauled its self ashore. Canny couple of finds today

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:28 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

great shots Keith - that little piggie is class LOL

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:41 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by keithmc
female red breasted merganser off the big beach today, 2 lesser black backs in with the GBBs. 6 shag off the cannon plus 2 RT divers. eider seen pretty much all the way along to marsden. 1 lapland bunting at frenchmans. a young seal pup was beached at the black path just south of boaty's, i walked right up to it and it didnt move. i was a bit concerned that it may have been unwell, but after a while it became more active, and as the tide came closer it made its way back into the sea where an adult waited about 80 yards from the shore. on my way back 150 geese flew south west probably pinkies. i saw this pig yesterday at colliery woods rooting around, the kids thought it was great and chased it up the path

Excellent news about the young Seal Keith, its never a easy one to call around this time of year.

There used to be 2 black coloured pot bellied pigs grunting around the old mineral line at Newton Garth farm area for years...many a fright Ive had as they have rushed out of the undergrowth!

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:22 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,
Second-hand information here, but from a 100%, totally reliable source;
Message reads

“Female Peregrine took out a Feral Pigeon over South Shields Market Place mid morning today”.

It appears that the local Raptors are certainly getting bolder!
Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 am
by jarradug | 154 Posts

It's a strange boundary.

Did you know that the Lakeside pub is in Gateshead also.

I found out a while back.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: