RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Over 40 Waxwings around the Saxon way area of Jarrow this morning. Plus 30+ Mistle thrush.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

amazing views today of a female goosander at red barnes pond (behind cockcrow inn). my mate had a loaf of bread with him and the goosander came out of the water within a couple of foot from us, it was too close for my lense which has a minimum focal distance of 1.8m. he aslo had the canada geese feeding out of his hand. not much else seen over there but i did catch up with the waxwings over at saxon way.

Attached pictures:
goosander 2_.jpg
goosander 3_.jpg
goosander_.jpg
goosanser 1_.jpg

Last edited Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:05 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

That takes the ST bird gallery for 2011 to 103 Keith.

I must admit never having been to Red Barnes even though I pass the Cock Crow quite often.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Originally posted by keithmc
amazing views today of a female goosander at red barnes pond (behind cockcrow inn). my mate had a loaf of bread with him and the goosander came out of the water within a couple of foot from us, it was too close for my lense which has a minimum focal distance of 1.8m. he aslo had the canada geese feeding out of his hand. not much else seen over there but i did catch up with the waxwings over at saxon way.

Thats a canny one for ST... Its closer to home than going to Chester-le-street riverside for close encounters with Goosanders etc.

Last edited Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:36 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Few pics from the garden the past couple of days due to working at home

Regards

John

Attached pictures:
012.jpg
016.jpg
056.jpg
075.jpg
085.jpg

Last edited Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:38 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

john i make it 136 birds for ST marra. you should have a look in the cock crow inn if you get the chance, good selection of birds over there.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:11 pm

About 40 Lesser redpolls at Colliery wood also Bullfinch,Willow tit and Jay heard of note. Waxwings still at Saxon way lunch time.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

quick walk around WCP this morning, not much on show but i did see a harbour porpoise out at sea. red throated diver, guillemot, single gannet flew south, common scoter, and the lads in the obs had just had a flock of goldeneye pass when i looked in.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by keithmc
john i make it 136 birds for ST marra. you should have a look in the cock crow inn if you get the chance, good selection of birds over there.

Must be my counting Keith as I make it 104 but will check again when I get time.

Regards

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
Over 40 Waxwings around the Saxon way area of Jarrow this morning. Plus 30+ Mistle thrush.

Waxwing's & Mistle Thrush still showing this morning,Waxwing's a bit flighty with Mistle Thrush chasing them around.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Originally posted by Jarra Sid

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Waxwing's & Mistle Thrush still showing this morning,Waxwing's a bit flighty with Mistle Thrush chasing them around.

Cracking experience Sid! I was down about dinner time again today, better light conditions for photo's etc. One of the residents said he had a dead bird in his back garden so I went and had a look. One Waxwing will not be making the migration back to the breeding grounds, looked like it had flown onto something. Its in the boot of my car if anyone knows someone who would want it for mounting.?

Mandarin drake on Marine park, as tame as the pigeons etc. here how., Pier closed again!!!!

As well as all the thrushes and Waxwings in Saxon way a female Blackcap was eating berries.

Attached pictures:
IMG_4428 (Small).JPG
IMG_4336 (Small).JPG

Last edited Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:46 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:09 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Spent a couple of hours at Boldon today hoping for a couple of pictures of the star turn. Managed to see that bird 3 times but at real distance and no luck with pictures. Did however see a Kestrel sitting in a field and i assumed it had caught something so i took a couple of pictures of it - just as i was clicking away down came a Buzzard and bullied it away..

Sequence of shots as follows;

Attached pictures:
12-18-11-247-DSC_1259.jpg
12-18-11-251-DSC_1263.jpg
12-18-11-287-DSC_1299.jpg
12-18-11-338-DSC_1350.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:12 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Nice shot's Steve.When we seen them this morning they were In shadow's most of the time.I'll try again tomorrow after babysitting duty.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:16 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Spent a couple of hours at Boldon today hoping for a couple of pictures of the star turn. Managed to see that bird 3 times but at real distance and no luck with pictures. Did however see a Kestrel sitting in a field and i assumed it had caught something so i took a couple of pictures of it - just as i was clicking away down came a Buzzard and bullied it away..

Sequence of shots as follows;

Nice Shot's Derek,

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:05 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

after dropping the kids off at the wacky warehouse i had a quick trudge round colliery woods hoping of an owl sighting. no sign of any owls but i did see a large raptor fly low over the trees it looked like a buzzard. i headed to a clearing and it flew back across got a couple of photos but it was 4 oclock and the light was very poor. looking at the photos it appears to have very white rump. i waited for a bit longer hoping to get some better shots but it never returned, as i was waiting a jay flew and landed in a tree about a hundred yards away, first jay i've photoed in ST. nice buzzard shots derek nearly as good as mine.

Attached pictures:
raptor 1_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
raptor 3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
raptor 2_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
jay_.jpg

Last edited Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:11 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: