RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

5 Snow buntings just south of Frenchmans bay late on this afternoon. Very flighty these ones but kept flying back to feed on the cliff edges.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:03 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Pete
those are some cracking shot's sid

Cheer's Pete,

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Little Grebe at P.N.R,this morning,Along Don road Wren Robin, L.T.T. G.S.W x2,Managed a couple of shot's,Popped to Marine Park this afternoon,just the usual apart from a rat which jumped out of litter bin as I walked passed.Could you Imagine a little bairn being told to put their rubbish In bin and rat jump's out.

Attached pictures:
DSCF0001-3.JPG
DSCF0015-3.JPG

Last edited Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 pm

[quote="Jarra Sid" Marine Park this afternoon,just the usual apart from a rat which jumped out of litter bin as I walked passed.Could you Imagine a little bairn being told to put their rubbish In bin and rat jump's out.[/quote]
Me and Jan seen a one here a few weeks back not far from the footpath near the wooded area, it did'nt seem too bothered by our presence or Maxes.(mind he was interested!). Its a common problem in many a public place where litter/feeding of birds,animals etc. takes place. The rodents get bolder and more confident the more used to humans they become.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:59 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk along Littlehaven and then through the Marine Park this morning. Nothing out of the ordinary bird wise but madarin showing well and tempted by the Mothers pride!!

Looks like work has started on the dunes behind the fair I wonder if this is what Matt Hawkins was talking about?

Found some photos from the last Holy Island trip on my camera hence some of our esteemed birders doing the business.

Brian

Attached pictures:
CCG1.jpg
CCG2.jpg
CCG3.jpg
CCG4.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:13 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

tried a bit raptor watching today, so i headed to west pastures, a quick look in at boldon flats on the way and at least 12 white fronted geese were showing well in the horse field just east of the flats with about the same number of greylag. speaking to a couple of lads here they had seen a corn bunting, 2 ruff and a gadwal of note. also a peregrine flew low after a wood pigeon. on to west pastures and hopes of seeing the hen harrier were quickly taken care of, only a few minutes in and it appeared over a hedge and flew across the field, nearly sh#t meself when a second harrier followed close behind it. they both flew across the road so i quickly followed. i relocated one of them but the other vanished. got some cracking views as it floated around the field hovering and diving what a site. headed back across the road and tried for a buzzard again i wasnt disappointed common and rough legged buzzard showing well.2 kestrels a sparrowhawk, dozens of partridge, 6 fieldfare, 3 heron,and heard a GS woodpecker all made it well worth freezing me nuts off. glad steve got to see the harrier, hope jan did as well. [pic 5 theres 2 harriers]

Attached pictures:
buzzard  3_.jpg
hen harrier 4_.jpg
hen harrier 5_.jpg
hen harrier 6_.jpg
hen harrier x2_.jpg

Last edited Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:20 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

I have had more reports of a large bird of prey on Cleadon Hills. It was seen after dark at around 800pm the description is that of an owl about two feet tall, ear tufts and a wing span of about 5 to 6 foot. The bird did not appear wary of humans and allowed close views with the aid of a torch. On take off swoopped down towards the person who saw it.

Another person gave a similar report on a different occasion.

Eagle owl? Be nice if we had one locally.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Originally posted by keithmc
tried a bit raptor watching today, so i headed to west pastures, a quick look in at boldon flats on the way and at least 12 white fronted geese were showing well in the horse field just east of the flats with about the same number of greylag. speaking to a couple of lads here they had seen a corn bunting, 2 ruff and a gadwal of note. also a peregrine flew low after a wood pigeon. on to west pastures and hopes of seeing the hen harrier were quickly taken care of, only a few minutes in and it appeared over a hedge and flew across the field, nearly sh#t meself when a second harrier followed close behind it. they both flew across the road so i quickly followed. i relocated one of them but the other vanished. got some cracking views as it floated around the field hovering and diving what a site. headed back across the road and tried for a buzzard again i wasnt disappointed common and rough legged buzzard showing well.2 kestrels a sparrowhawk, dozens of partridge, 6 fieldfare, 3 heron,and heard a GS woodpecker all made it well worth freezing me nuts off. glad steve got to see the harrier, hope jan did as well. [pic 5 theres 2 harriers]

Keith stick the shots of the bird on a id thread mate(bf) looks very orange coloured to me...!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Originally posted by Brian.G
I have had more reports of a large bird of prey on Cleadon Hills. It was seen after dark at around 800pm the description is that of an owl about two feet tall, ear tufts and a wing span of about 5 to 6 foot. The bird did not appear wary of humans and allowed close views with the aid of a torch. On take off swoopped down towards the person who saw it.

Another person gave a similar report on a different occasion.

Brian a Harris hawk has been on the "loose" for a week or so.....could fit the bill.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

got something in mind like steve?

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Originally posted by keithmc
got something in mind like steve?

Awaiting other folks views on this one Keith..

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Brian

Hi Brian

I know of someone in the area that has/had an Eagle Owl in his back garden shed and it escaped once before so it may be the same bird !

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

[quote
Brian a Harris hawk has been on the "loose" for a week or so.....could fit the bill.

Brian[/quote][/quote]

After dark though? I thought a Harris hawk would be well tucked up by then.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

heres a harris hawk i took a couple of years ago

Attached pictures:
Copy of Picture 1831.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

with what steve said about the "orange" harrier i put the photo on birdforum ID page. canny few different theories, hen, pallid, northern, even suggetions of a hybrid.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: