RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm
by Michael_A | 74 Posts

Today a visit to Teesdale birds of note:-
Langdon Beck 15 Black Grouse 2 Hens
Rookhope 9 Black Grouse 2 Grey Partridge
Also large numbers of Lapwing returning to nesting grounds.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:04 am
by sless | 150 Posts

brilliant tug of war there ian,great photo

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:42 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Does anyone know the location of the local(ish) Ring Necked Parakeets?

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 am
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Rob,

Ward Jackson Park in Hartlepool holds a good population of RNP, and they're quite vocal at times - good luck mate!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&xhr=...ved=0CBoQnwIwAA

Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Myself and Dougie attended a workshop meeting at Rainton Meadows yesterday which will hopefully put us in good stead for the planned future events of the group. After this we climbed "Poll hill" here to view the feeders placed by the DBC. first visit for both of to this site for a canny while.
Redpolls aplenty on show and mostly Mealies! well to our untrained eyes they appeared to be. Best of British to anyone who can pick the bones out of the polls here, there's every colour and plumage change on show!
Anyway we did see a Artic (or so we were told....by more cluded up lads than us).....thro- branches,twigs etc.
Pier dinner time-ish today...our local Purple sands were on show 6 of them, a lot tamer than the North side birds that were here a few days back. Also 3 Rock pipts to speak of including the one with fishing line around its leg.

Attached pictures:
IMG_2155 (Medium).jpg
IMG_2186 (Medium).jpg
IMG_2201 (Medium).jpg

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Hi Rob,

Ward Jackson Park in Hartlepool holds a good population of RNP, and they're quite vocal at times - good luck mate!

Cheers Dougie, thats another place to add to the "half term holiday" list!!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:05 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Its a nice park Rob, sometimes the RNP's can be in the surrounding houses gardens..just listen for them! Also visit the Jacksons landing area as many a canny bird can sometimes show here. And don't forget to try the headland at Hartlepool especially around the higher tide mark.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Cheers Steve, I've built up quite a list of places in and around Hartlepool that I want to check out next week. It all started by trying to find the nearest place to see a Peregrine and someone suggested Hart Quarry?

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

The morning dog walk took place in bright sunshine again today probably only the second time this year but this time there were a half dozen Skylark some attempting to soar and sing but only for a few seconds but lovely to hear and sing again.
Now I know spring is coming.

c80 Oystercatcher and c20 Turnstone on the Leas next to the Bamburgh pub.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
The morning dog walk took place in bright sunshine again today probably only the second time this year but this time there were a half dozen Skylark some attempting to soar and sing but only for a few seconds but lovely to hear and sing again.
Now I know spring is coming.

c80 Oystercatcher and c20 Turnstone on the Leas next to the Bamburgh pub.

Regards
John

John

I noticed as I left for work today at 7.15 several birds singing it was quite noticible. It's one of my favorite days of the year when you know the world is coming back to life. When the Blackbirds start waking me up I'll know spring is really here.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Had a walk along the leas this afternoon myself John and counted 6 skylarks between the mound and hedge, great to see them back. Also saw the 20 turnstone just above the main bowl of trow, along with 50+ oysters, 10 common gulls and 20 black headed gulls. Couple redshank in the second bay, and little owl by the path. Usual pair of magpie in the main bowl, single blackbird, little owl flew from the tree to right of the knot weed into its hidy hole, and another 20 oyster catcher.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Ian
I thought I saw a couple yesterday morning down there but I was stopped by the usual dog walkers who distracted me while I was trying to get onto the birds that were flushed so I couldn't really say for sure yesterday that they were Skylark.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:01 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

While driving through Durham today I heard the first cuckoo of Spring.

A fantastic piece of music by Frederick Delius

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:04 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just glad to see something along that stretch at last, its felt dead for ages, might get a few med pips back and hopefully one or two others

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:52 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Had the dogs down at Trow at 10:30am this morning for an hour. As previous posts, Little Owl in tree flitted into its hidey hole, otherwise main bowl quiet. 2 Skylarks between mound and Frenchmans Bay, loads of gulls, Oystercatchers and Turnstones on the Leas (couldn't believe the amount of Common Gulls compared to normal). Lots of birds on the sea off Frenchmans, but too far for the bins to pick out.

Headed up to the cem at 4pm to top up the feeders and retrieve Johns misplaced nuts! Large tree at left of entrance was alive with Gold and Greenfinches, easily 30+ birds flitting from branch to branch. Fat balls and filled coconut shells seem to be taking a hammering again, the homemade concoctions seem to be more popular than the shop bought ones?

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: