RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:51 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Popped out yesterday morning,as I was leaving house Sparrowhawk flying over my garden,long tailed tit's In valley view park,kingfisher along don again,lot's of redshank & curlew,seen this redshank on new pond(next to tyne tunnel),this bird Is a regular visitor to pond now,let's hope something else turn's up.

Attached pictures:
DSCF0003-2.JPG

Last edited Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:51 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a trip to Saltholme this afternoon in the hope i could catch up with the Pallid Harrier. No such luck, not a sniff of it

However managed to catch up with a few friendly faces which is always nice, bumped into Steve & Jason down here and had a bit of a natter before heading to the cafe for a cuppa and cake

Later bumped into Ian Forrest and Hilary Chambers - again nice to have a bit of a natter, but nowt at all to point the camera at

Finished the afternoon in the Phil Stead hide and managed to get a few clicks of the shutter - couple of pics attached...

Black Tailed Godwit & Pintail that both showed relatively close..

Attached pictures:
10-23-11-5463-DSC_7015.jpg
10-23-11-5535-DSC_7087.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:04 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Just had a Sparrowhawk with a bird in it's talons flying low over Cauldwell roundabout from the cemetery towards King George Road.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:03 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

"Mega" (for me anyway) 2 Long-tailed tits visited my back yard this morning. Puts the bird species list of "actually in here and not fly overs" at about 10.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

I managed to get this shot of Kingfisher on River Don this morning.(bad light for photo's),but It'll do for record shot..I've seen It over the last 3 day's.

Attached pictures:
DSCF0018-2.JPG

Last edited Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:09 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Sid

Not a bad record shot and will do nicely for the ST Gallery.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
Hi Sid

Not a bad record shot and will do nicely for the ST Gallery.

Hi John,I did put another photo on last night,I'll delete that and put this new one on...

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Single Wheatear this morning between Gypsys Stad and the Lifeguard hut on the south foreshore.

c+400 Starling outside the Bamburgh on the Leas.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Topping feeders up at cem yesterday morning, couple of Chaffinches feeding on the bottom otherwise quiet, birds seem to be taking a while to get used to the new feeding station compared to this time last year. Fields behind Landseer Gardens, Whiteleas, 50+ Curlews, probably same flock from Boldon Flats.

Academy pools lunchtime. Tuftie, Mallard, Moorhen, Dabchick, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail and loads of gulls. Two Crows playing tug of war with a large dead rat! No camera as "at work!"

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just had a cracking back yard tick. Just popped home from work and as i was putting something in the wheely bin i looked up and floating quite high above me was a short eared owl. It was drifting up mowbray road toward westoe road

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Called into trow after work, goldcrest in main bowl, redwing, songthrush, blackbirds, 3 robin, 3 wren, fieldfare being chased by pied wagtail! Couple more redwing along leas hedge, 2 male stonechats and a female stonechat aswell Bumped into a mate along there who'd seen 2 short eared owl on the leas earlier today and managed to get them circling together in the same photo. Got a few record shots of the stonechats, very dodgy one of the female though

Attached pictures:
1st male stonechat.jpg
2nd male stonechat.jpg
female stonechat.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Walk along the Leas hedgerow this morning and saw one of IM's Stonechats and hope they stick around as its been nearly a year to get them back here after last winter wiped them out.

Down into Trow and and saw the Kestrel swoop down onto a vole/shrew and took off with it chased by a couple of Crow and 20 meters further on the dog flushed a SEO (Short Eared Owl) up off the rocks in the first bay which then flew westerly over the Leas.

Regards

John

PS
Happy birthday Michael_A

Last edited Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:08 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Female kestrel in main bowl trow today, lots of wrens and a few redwings too. Another half dozen redwing flew from the mound. 3 stonechat along the hedge still, flocks of green finch goldfinch and linnet flying about and more redwing, seem to be everywhere today. Robin in the second bay

Attached pictures:
kestrel.jpg
stonechat.jpg
stonechat 2.jpg
stonechat and greenfinch.jpg
robin.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Theres been some canny birds reported today in our area-
Marsh harrier over Bents
Firecrest and yellow-browed warb in the Whitburn cp.
Black redstart in Lizard lane caravan park

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Sounds like theres been a decent fall through the night
Must have been at least fifty redwing in the trees along seafield terrace running along the top of the marine park this morning. Also saw 3 grey wagtail and a pied wag together in middlefields depot. Not that much on marine park pond, seemed less tuftys than usual when i popped in, and no pochard or mandarin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: