RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

A single Yellow-browed warb. this late afternoon on the outskirts of Shearwater est./WCP. with a fixed flock of tits and a Chiffchaff. My first Yella browed for 2 years! Also about 6 Goldcrests along this path here.
Did'nt see much in Trow late morn. 1/2 Little owls, Redwing, 6-8 Blackies and 2 small jobbies I could'nt get onto( one bird called.....never heard this one before!). Also a pipit went over calling whilst returning to the car....another new call i haven't heard before!.(investigation needed), 5 Rt divers off the 2nd bay and 10/11 C.Scoters.
Nice to see a few familiar faces in Trow this morn.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:02 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Put a post on BF about the pipit.....Never heard a one calling like this before!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213784

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
Put a post on BF about the pipit.....Never heard a one calling like this before!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213784

I'll definately keep my eyes, and ears open, and double check any pipits

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:38 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Mandarin is looking alot better now on marine park pond, first time i've seen it for a while. Mostly just the usual ducks here and 3 young cormrants. Trow main bowl had a first for me on this patch, a female bullfinch . Also 2 goldcrest, chiff chaf, 2 robin, couple wren. First bay had 8 turnstone, 2 redshank, 2 purple sandpiper, and red throated diver quite close in. Grey heron in second bay. Male kestrel along leas hedge. About 20 widgeon flying south down the coast

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:38 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

quick visit to trow this afternoon not much in the main bowl 2 goldcrests and a robin were the only birds seen. 2 eider off the second bay. just as we walked up the black path the bairn said he seen a little bird when i looked it was a stonechat sitting on the top of the weeds. 4 common scoter off frenchmans point and a peregrine flew south. nowt on the mound. popped in to WCP canny croud of birders at the first mound the red flanked bluetail was showing well just before i got there but unfortunately i didnt see it. back of shearwater estate 1 chiffchaff, flock of blue and long tailed tits 4 siskin flew over.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Buzzed by a SEO tonight which appeared to be hunting on the rough grass between the mound and Trow quarry, literally feet above my head, I nearly cacked!

Had the dogs around colliery woods at lunchtime, good numbers of mixed flocks of LTT's, Great Tits and Goldfinches hanging around the feeders near the pond. Quite a few Moorhens on the burn near Newton Garth farm.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Last edited Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:34 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Just a couple of shot's from along Don this morning,Sorry about positoin of Wren,Lot's of Goldfinch,Is It my eye's or Is pic.3 a funny colour.(Goldfinch)

Attached pictures:
DSCF0017-2.JPG
DSCF0020-1.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG

Last edited Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Originally posted by Jarra Sid
Just a couple of shot's from along Don this morning,Sorry about positoin of Wren,Lot's of Goldfinch,Is It my eye's or Is pic.3 a funny colour.(Goldfinch)

You've captured a Juvenile Goldfinch in this shot Sid, one of this years off spring. Well done with the shots!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Not much down trow today. Couple common gulls near main bowl, 2 rock pipits in first bay with usual waders. Black cat hunting in second bay again. Linnets and reed bunting in shrubs next to mango carpark.

Attached pictures:
common gull.jpg
trow prowler.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:16 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Still quiet down trow today. Half dozen linnets at mangos, 3 robin in main bowl. Purple sandpipers, turnstones and oystercatcher in first bay, 2 rock pipit.

Attached pictures:
turnstones at trow.jpg
purple sandpiper.jpg

Last edited Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
Still quiet down trow today. Half dozen linnets at mangos, 3 robin in main bowl. Purple sandpipers, turnstones and oystercatcher in first bay, 2 rock pipit.

Think ive seen these shots somewhere before???? Tyne Tees weather report this evening. Nice ones Ian.

Last edited Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Aye cheers Steve, i was a bit surprised as i only sent them in this afternoon. Been quite lucky, only sent them a few photo's and they've used them every time

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:46 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Lots of thrushes about in the marine park this morning, six fieldfare flew towards bents park. 10 mute swans on the lake, 24 tufty, 3 moorhen, mallards, cormorant, and single pochard. No sign of the mandarin today. Numbers of young gulls seem to rising every visit

Attached pictures:
young mute swan.jpg
black headed gull.jpg
pochard.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

4 fieldfare took of from near camels island marsden this morning and headed across the leas toward blackberry hills.
Also saw a fieldfare yesterday in trow main bowl, and a weasel, first i've seen one for a while

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:28 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a trip out to Watergate Forest Park this afternoon with my family and dog. For those of you who haven't been before it is behind Emanuel College, Gateshead (NE9 7EQ). Nice walk in pleasant surroundings which includes forrestry and a lake.

Birds seen include:-

Mute swan, little grebe, pochard, tufted duck, mallard (loads!!), BH gulls (even more!!!), moorhen, coot, LT tit flock, robin, blue tit & goldfinch flock.

Well worth a trip especially with a large Motherspride to bring in the waterfowl :-)

Brian

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: