RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:06 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Went through Mrasden old quarry this morning and the little owl was in its usual place. Lots of great and blue tits around as well as male blackbirds everywhere. Also female bullfinch.

Yesterday afternoon I walked the dog up on Cleadon Hills and was treated to a display by a pair of sparrowhawks. Even the non-birding dog watchers stopped to watch, their attention drawn by the male calling. Whilst the female circled overhead the male's display included gliding down to the windmill with wings in a V shape and talons extended downwards. Great stuff

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:59 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Yesterday I had the GSW in the garden trying to demolish an old tree that died a few years ago. A month or so ago I noticed wasps had moved into one of the holes created by the GSW and they had done some work of their own by nibbling parts of the tree and leaving sawdust on the ground under the hole they were occupying. Great stuff to watch.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Pleased to be able to anounce the Westoe cem. feeding station is now open for business again. Myself and Rob spent a few hours here this afternoon processing a fallen tree within the cem. to produce the shown structure. Well the fallen tree was about as far away as possible to the feeding area and it took numerous trips to transport the lumber here. I could'nt get a lend of a chain saw so Rob will be done in tomorrow after doing most of the work with a bow saw and axe!. Other feeding type structures are planned and we hope to improve the whole area in time.
Well Jan just had to get up and have a look as soon as I got home after this work, armed with feeders and food stuff.

Mobile pic's again.

Attached pictures:
2011-09-25_15-28-50_57 (Medium).JPG
2011-09-25_16-03-16_649 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:41 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Don't know about tomorrow, feeling a bit stiff now! Looking good though, it'll blend into the background nicely once it weathers a bit and gets some shrubbery growing around it. I'll get a few feeders up over the next couple of days as well.

Edit: just checked and I've got 5x seed feeders, 1x peanut feeder, 1x fat ball feeder and 1x suet block feeder. What's already been put up and what sort of mix of feeders are we looking at? Price wise I think seed gives the best returns, but we did get the GSW on the suet block and the Bramblings on the nyger/linseed mix?

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Rob, Steve & Jan,

Excellent work folks - I'm sure there'll be some very happy visitors (birds & humans) to Westoe Cem this winter

Well done everyone

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:11 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,
Just a few pics from this weekend.
They’re all from Trow & The Leas, apart from the resident Frog and this fine looking female Sparrowhawk (which was a surprise visitor to the back garden earlier today) – nice!

Cheers,
Dougie.

Attached pictures:
IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5566.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5623.JPG
IMG_5523.JPG
IMG_5693.JPG
IMG_5732.JPG

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Placed one Seed feeder, one suet block one, one fat ball feeder (repositioned from last year), couple of Coconut shells and a empty nyger one.(which will be filled over the week). Plenty room for more especially when we can sort the rest of this area out in the coming months.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:07 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Great work Steve/Rob I am sure it will be a success in the coming months and I am looking forward to my visits there.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:41 pm

The Little owl debate continues regards Trow quarry. Today I spotted (bad foot) in the area another pair had thought to set up home. Pleased to see this bird again as no reports of it has been reported laterly....Is he/she playing away? Not seen the bird at the other end of the quarry on the last few visits.

Attached pictures:
IMG_2914 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

thought i would knock the cobwebs off me camera and head for trow this morning bumped into john sulli nice to see you mate. main bowl not much happening robin, dunnock and a couple of maggies on to the mound couple of whinchat loads of mipits, juv. reed bunting and a dozen or so skylark. pied wagtail flew north. went to frenchmans to see if i could see the brown jobbies john had seen, 2 groups about 30 birds in each of linnet on the clifftops and a single snow bunting flew towards boaties. 3 knot on the rocks below the shelf with oytercatcher, redshank and turnstone. a male sparrowhawk was sitting watching the flock of linnet only managed this shot from behind before it dove over the edge. 2 pied wagtail at boaties. 20 goldfinch in the grass above camals island back along the hedge a tree pipit. second bay at trow little owl resting on the beach flew driectly towards me and sat on a boulder 20 yards away. 2 weatears in front of mangos

Attached pictures:
beach owl 2.jpg
spughawk.jpg
beach owl.jpg

Last edited Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:03 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:50 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

35+ Curlews at Boldon Flats this afternoon and several hundred woodies. A pair of Kestrels hunting on the opposite side of the road, almost in unison, great to watch. Single Wheatear in the first bay at teatime. Loads of Linnets (though definately not what I saw the other day), a couple of Swallows and a Skylark around the mound. Trow quarry was absolutely dead bird wise but a few rabbits were kicking about. Spotted the little black and white cat ratting in the second bay.

Placed 2 seed feeders, a fat ball feeder and 4 coconut shells filled with my homemade concoction in the cem tonight. Just need the birds to start using it again as nothing looked touched, early days I suppose.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:01 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
The Little owl debate continues regards Trow quarry. Today I spotted (bad foot) in the area another pair had thought to set up home. Pleased to see this bird again as no reports of it has been reported laterly....Is he/she playing away? Not seen the bird at the other end of the quarry on the last few visits.

I heard rumour it has a bike

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Short Eared Owls putting in decent displays late afternoon at Prestwick Carr today....

Attached pictures:
09-27-11-3992-DSC_5990.jpg
09-27-11-4001-DSC_6003.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Excellent sighting in our boro. today of a Sandhill crane. The bird was picked up in Northumberland this morning and headed south passed Whitely bay and over the Cleadon hills area (Wished it had landed for a while around here!). I missed it viewing from the centre of Sunderland..... It was then seen at Hartlepool and the last report Ive seen of it was from Whitby.

Last edited Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: