RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Jarra Sid

Originally posted by Brian.G
Had a walk into Marsden Old Quarry this morning to see what was about, Phil and another couple of lads were already there. Plenty of spotted and pied flycatchers (dificult to count numbers) but no sign of RB flycatchers.

Little owl in its usual place soaking up the sun.

Loads of speckled wood butteflies around, nearly every tree had its own pair. One red amdiral seen.

Brian

I must of walked past you at Marsden,I was there with Phil,I bumped Into Phil earlier at Trow, we then we went up to Marsden.

Sid,

I didn't see anyone else while I was there and Phil and the others were well set as though they had been for there for a while. Pity though as it would have been good to catch up.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 am
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Brian
I've not seen the little owl at Marsden for ages. There have been pigeons sitting in the place where two of them always sat on my last 3/4 visits

Paul

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Dan
Brian
I've not seen the little owl at Marsden for ages. There have been pigeons sitting in the place where two of them always sat on my last 3/4 visits

Paul

Paul,

As an enthusistic amateur I can give you the benefit of my knowledge. Sometimes you can go weeks without seeing the owls and other times they can be on any of the rocky outcrops so you have to look hard for them. On other occasions they just play hard to get and dress up as pigeons to deter the determined birder.

Clever birds when you think about it, giving us the run around

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Unidentified pipit type bird on Cleadon Hills tonight most noticable features apart from the pipit appearance were pink legs. No bins as usual to further I.D. it.

My dog ran past it and it didn't even move but it soon moved when I walked towards it though - it flew off!!!

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:07 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Ha - I wondered why the pigeons were going Twit -Twoo

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Attempted a quick visit to the leas/ trow today didn't last long it was blowing a hoolie. Birds were being blown past me almost backwards with a very confused look on their faces

Last edited Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:17 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Did my last dog walk of the night from 7-8pm at Marsden Quarry because Trow was closed due to the GNR construction. Put up a covey of 7 Partridge near the golf course which was the best number I've seen in ages, otherwise just the odd Magpie and Woodie struggling against the wind. The Leas were full of gulls on the way home in the gloom and I noticed that they've dismantled the fence at the back of Gypsies Green?

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Did my last dog walk of the night from 7-8pm at Marsden Quarry because Trow was closed due to the GNR construction.

Hi Rob
Just been down that way this morning and Trow is still closed off. Apparently the wind lifted a Marquee up at some point yesterday and planted it down in the quarry.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Did my last dog walk of the night from 7-8pm at Marsden Quarry because Trow was closed due to the GNR construction.

Hi Rob
Just been down that way this morning and Trow is still closed off. Apparently the wind lifted a Marquee up at some point yesterday and planted it down in the quarry.

John

I heard this morning that the mobile field hospital has become very mobile and moved into the North sea

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Two chiffchaffs calling from different trees aong the path from the Whitehorse pub this morning.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Walk along Don this morning,(with Red)4 Grey Wagtail,Blackcap,Kingfisher,Redshank,Curlew,Chiff Chaff,Bullfinch,Goldfinch,still a few Swallow's.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

This Blackbird,It's beak Is stuck open like this all of the time It's been visiting my garden,It's been coming to my garden since last november,I try and put soft food out for It.It love's mashed potato.I'm amazed It's survived.

Attached pictures:
DSCF9642-1.JPG

Last edited Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:09 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Trow , 7:30am this morning, Kestrel 25 yards away tearing strips off a mouse/vole and me with no camera as I had 2 dogs in tow!

Aw well, there's always my next lifetime for a shot like that!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:06 am
by sless | 150 Posts

always the same rob

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 am
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Just had a visit in the garden from a flock of about 20 Long Tailed Tits,a first for me!! :)

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: