RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Theres a adult Bonaparte's gull in our area this evening. First spotted in Shorts ploughed field( opp. Whitburn lodge) by the time I got there it had done a one, so didn't put the word out. But got a call whilst here to let me know it was refound off Whitburn steel.....Thankfully the bird was still there and showed well when I got there. By this time on a Friday evening it was far too late to pass the info. on.
Dare say there will be a mass search going on tomorrow and rightly so!
Couple of quickly sorted shots.-cracking bird!

Attached pictures:
IMG_1551 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1596 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:31 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:38 am
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Great photos Steve. Hope it's still there Sunday morning.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:43 am
by jason | 255 Posts

I think its a Green Sandpiper Steve (and Paul!!!). The bill and legs look slightly longer than on a Common. I could be wrong though!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Originally posted by jason
I think its a Green Sandpiper Steve (and Paul!!!). The bill and legs look slightly longer than on a Common. I could be wrong though!

Think you are right Jason, just had another look and resized and adjusted Pauls pic.(hope you don't mind Paul).

Attached pictures:
revised sandpiper (Medium).JPG

Last edited Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:16 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Originally posted by jarradug
Great photos Steve. Hope it's still there Sunday morning.

Was still there about dinnertime today, was planning another look today myself but rain stopped play.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:24 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

I think it was a bogey bird for both of us Steve! I'm glad I've finally caught up with one, and even more glad at how close it was!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally posted by jason
I think it was a bogey bird for both of us Steve! I'm glad I've finally caught up with one, and even more glad at how close it was!

Well thats what I thought also last year when a bons. gull showed a few times in our area... I must have looked at every BH gull along the stretch of coastline at least 3 times! mind this did kick up a few Med. gulls on this search.. On the subject of Med.gulls the regular Marsden car park bird hasn't showed up yet to the best of my knowledge, one or two have been seen around the area but not this one.( Bill colours/pattern not right).

Last edited Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:10 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:54 pm

The Bonaparte's gull was on Roker beach early afternoon today. Pity about the light!

Attached pictures:
IMG_1753 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:55 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:27 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Thanks for the help lads I thought it was green but wasn't sure. Well done with the Bonapartes Gull. One thing that always amazes me about Birdwatching is how people can find one particular Gull from the other 50000000 million along a stretch of 10 mile coastline

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Originally posted by Paul Dan
Thanks for the help lads I thought it was green but wasn't sure. Well done with the Bonapartes Gull. One thing that always amazes me about Birdwatching is how people can find one particular Gull from the other 50000000 million along a stretch of 10 mile coastline

Ya not wrong there Paul, the finder picked the bird up whilst waiting for his car to be MOTed and cooling off with the cost.( he'll fill you in more when you see him next.)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:48 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Zitat

Ya not wrong there Paul, the finder picked the bird up whilst waiting for his car to be MOTed and cooling off with the cost.( he'll fill you in more when you see him next.)

I need to report these threats of violence to Mr Sulli this must be against forum rules.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I will look into the threats for you Paul but first I want to find out the garage thats charging so much for the MOT so that I don't get caught going there for my next test.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,

Adult male Cuckoo on the cliff tops at Frenchman's point 7pm this evening.

Cheers,
Dougie

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:00 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Jarrow Slake this evening. 10 Redshank, 4 Curlew, Cormoront, Grey Heron. 40 Black Headed Gulls.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

1 Redshank in Trow this morning and 12 Oystercatchers on the Leas yesterday afternoon. Still quite a few Sand Martins patrolling up and down the Leas especially the Marsden end where they come and dance around your feet as you walk stirring up flies.

John

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: