RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Berb
John
Come to think of it its a shame that the crows did not build the ship that i am working on at present,i know they would have made a better job than the Chinese did.

Bob

Ya not wrong there "Berb".....great pic's.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 am
by Berb | 133 Posts

John/Steve
Cheers,still in S/pore another 3 weeks to do then should be heading back to blighty,fish is mud skipper,good fun to watch defending their bit space against other fish.
Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior was moochiong around these parts today.

Cheers

Bob

Attached pictures:
rw.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:31 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,
2 x adult Med Gulls in amongst Black - headed gulls on 'Shorts field' (opposite the Whitburn Lodge) 4.40pm.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Just started to fill the bird feeders up for the first time now that the breeding season is nearly over and had my first Coal Tit visit which always cheers me up even in this gloomy weather.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:00 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Two juv. grey wagtails near Ethel Austins in Queen Street, South Shields and a third heard calling from the roof of Birthdays card shop this morning

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm

3 Adult Roseates this noon around the pier and a Juv. plus a bonus of this little fellow on the side of the pier.- (quick sort out of shots..).

Attached pictures:
IMG_0724 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0842 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0888 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Few juvenile whitethroats in trow main bowl today and couple of adults. Half dozen juv common terns rested up in the first bay with about 8 adults terns fishing quite close in. Two adult little owls seen near the second bay . Lots of young razor bills and guillemots of the second bay.

Attached pictures:
juv whitethroat.jpg
juv whitethroat 2.jpg
little owl.jpg
2nd little owl.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:35 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Great to see the Roseates back Steve, how long/many times you visited the beach this month looking for them ?. I bet they have been looking for you as well.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Originally posted by johnsulli
Great to see the Roseates back Steve, how long/many times you visited the beach this month looking for them ?. I bet they have been looking for you as well.

Regards
John

As much as possible John.... lol. probs 4/5 times a week, and like today sometimes two visits a day. Obsessed me never!

Last year I recorded my first adult Rosy off the pier on the 14/7 probs a non breeder or failed., first Juv. last year on the 30/7 this is about normal with them turning up now.(others may have earlier records of returning breeding birds, just my observations).

Its just fantasic to see terns gracing our beach area and in the coming weeks waders returning will be joining them.(I hope).

A adult Rosy and a juv. present this evening for a short time.

Last edited Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Solitary Whimbrel feeding in the Don tonight. 2 x Common Terns 10 Redshank, Lots of Black Headed gulls and 100s of Starlings roosting on the pylons. 6 x Curlews. One of these by the looks of things knows how to get the peeler crabs from inside the tyres.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Went for walk this morning and came across young Sparrowhawk's,3 or 4 they were quite active,that's why I couldn't get correct number.I'll try again tomorrow. There was alway's a leaf In front of them while trying to photograph them but here's a couple of shot's.

Attached pictures:
DSCF1764-1.JPG
DSCF1767-1.JPG

Last edited Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

trip down trow today, lots of goldfinch feeding on the thistles in the main bowl, couple of whitethroat and usual linnets and med pips. Little owl showed well opp second bay in its usual place. Couple of young reed bunts along the hedge. Little owl still out at second bay on way back. Also, found a dead shrew on the path near the first bay, saw a shrew yesterday near the mound running across the path which was the first time i've seen one out in the open like that

Attached pictures:
little owl 2.jpg
little owl return trip.jpg
common shrew.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:29 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Young Sparrowhawk's showing well today,better day for photo's as well.

Attached pictures:
DSCF1820.JPG

Last edited Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Nice picture Sid

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Wren in the garden this afternoon feeding 3-4 young. I think this is about the 5 or 6 year in a row that I have had the Wren nestingh usually in the garden shed but I think this year it has moved to a new location. I suppose I will have a look around in a month or two and see if I can locate the nest.

John

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: