in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Ok then a postage stamp

Brian

Scroll up

RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:12 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

Just in case you weren't aware, the reserve behind the Cock Crow in is actually Gateshead and falls under their countryside team to manage. I believe they do occasionally have volunteer tasks there etc. They do allow fishing but I think you have to be a member of a specific club, and there are certain areas where fishing is not permitted.
Clare

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Clare
Just in case you weren't aware, the reserve behind the Cock Crow in is actually Gateshead and falls under their countryside team to manage. I believe they do occasionally have volunteer tasks there etc. They do allow fishing but I think you have to be a member of a specific club, and there are certain areas where fishing is not permitted.
Clare

Yes Lakeside fishing club fish there,They fish In a designated area,But you get other angler's who seem to fish wherever they like.probably fishing without licence.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Jarra Sid

Originally posted by Clare
Clare

Yes Lakeside fishing club fish there,They fish In a designated area,But you get other angler's who seem to fish wherever they like.probably fishing without licence.

Sid is this the only site the Lakeside club have permission in our area to fish now.?

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

As far as I know It Is the only water they've got.But I don't know how many of the member's fish there,That lake also attract's non licence fishermen.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

The Don today. Redshank x 6, Heron, Black Headed Gulls x 50, Curlews x 2, Swallows x 6, Housemartins x 4. The usual flocks of Goldfinches and Blue Tits.

Has all the migrants moved south now. No sign anywhere of Whitethroats, Chifchaffs etc?

Last edited Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Originally posted by jarradug
The Don today. Redshank x 6, Heron, Black Headed Gulls x 50, Curlews x 2, Swallows x 6, Housemartins x 4. The usual flocks of Goldfinches and Blue Tits.

Has all the migrants moved south now. No sign anywhere of Whitethroats, Chifchaffs etc?

Still some around Dug but many are on the move now.

200+ Common terns on Sandhaven this morning. 6 Sanderling, 10 Oystercatchers, 1 Ringed plover.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:59 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Thanks Steve. Am learning.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks Steve. Am learning.

Quite a few warblers have been passing thro- the coastal park whilst ringing has been taking place over the last week or so, these are unringed birds and probably not bred or been reared in our area. Many start moving off after breeding Dug and we are all still learning regards wildlife mate.

This evenings beach watch( 6 ish)- 50+ Common (numbers well down from this morn.) , 10+ Sandwich and 2 Artic terns( still with blood red bills). 6 Sanderling still present, 2 Redshanks and a Guillemot on the south side of the pier rested up just passed the first gate.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0589 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Can anyone come and view the ringing? I would be interested to watch. If so where and what time. Cheers.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Hiya Sid. Yes anybody can (and very much does!!!) come and watch us Ringing. We are more than happy to show people what we do - in fact its part of the B.T.O.'s policy. After we get the birds out of the nets we bring them back to the hut and there you can watch us weigh/measure/ring the birds and if you want we'll give you a nice close up photo before releasing the birds. We are there pretty much every weekend in the spring and autumn, but in the summer its more hit and miss as we do other things like storm petrels, owls, kestrels etc. We will definitely be there in the morning but you may have to get there early! Myself and John will be getting there for 6.00am and I imagine we'll be packing up around 9.30am as we've got a bit of work to do on the Obs.

Jason

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Can anyone come and view the ringing? I would be interested to watch. If so where and what time. Cheers.

Dug- anyone can come down and view the ringing, a few members of the group are actively involved in the process. The CCG have donated to the costs of rings etc. this year.

The ringing hut is situated in the northern car park at Whitburn coastal park ( left turn when you enter, near the lighthouse).

Ringing has just started again over the last week or so and I believe it will be taking place tomorrow morning. ( Jason might be able to fill us in more on this one). Open days etc.are planned for the GP to view the process. But normally folk just tend to pop down and look in on whats happening here when ringing is taking place. The lads generally start ringing at first light and stop when conditions or the flow of birds coming thro- dies off.
Come the autumn ( and with the right conditions for a fall) the place is lifting with hopefull birders.

edit.........

Just noticed Jason has posted....

Last edited Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:05 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Oops, sorry, I should have written DUG and not Sid! Too many Jarra's!!!!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

That's okay,Steve alway's replie's to wrong Jarra one as well

Last edited Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Many thanks lads. Might see you at 6am.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: