RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:38 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Academy pools- Very little except for swifts,swallows,house and sand martins and a couple of sedge warbs, families of whitethoarts and linnets along the approach path.
Whitburn steel- 70+ Redshank, 50+ Oystercatcher, 6 Curlews, 4 Dunlin and a single (bobby no mates) golden plover.(rest on rifle range field). mainly Common terns rested up here with a few Sandwich.
Adult Med. gull with hundreds of BH gulls feeding on the waters edge. 20 Teal flew north.

Sandhaven this evening- 30+ Common terns but no Sandwich terns on the beach, singles of ringed plover(juv.) and oystercatcher.
The Mandarin in marine park looks to be flightless at the moment.

Off to pinch some seeds from Northumberland tomorrow to help the dunes in Shields.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 pm

A few shots from today- (still trying for good-uns of swifts).

Attached pictures:
IMG_0080 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0209 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0235 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0252 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0297 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cracking photos Steve

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
Cracking photos Steve

Cheers Ian, hopefully a few more tern shots to post over the coming weeks.

Did the seed collecting today on Cresswell beach and a added bonus was seeing 2 Artic skuas here plus distant views of a couple of Bar-headed geese on Cresswell pond.( no camera with me on this outing.)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

The young in the blackbird and swallows nests have fledged and I took the shot below this morning of the mother swallow feedeing her young.

Brian

Attached pictures:
P9250003 (600 x 450).jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:09 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
The young in the blackbird and swallows nests have fledged and I took the shot below this morning of the mother swallow feedeing her young.

Brian

It is absolutely amazing watching the swallows. My office is on the right of the photo and I have been watching them on and off all day (sorry I mean working all day!!!) I know which is more important!!

The young sit there in orderly fashion and don't jump the feeding queue. Whichever fledgling's turn it is opens their mouth when either the male or female return with insects and promptly get fed.

To me this is what bird watching is about. The swallow is a common species but watching it is an education - I need to retire and do this permanently or win the lottery!!!

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:20 pm

One of our feeders has been attracting this "ugly" critter in Scuzz's garden.

Attached pictures:
_MG_1192[1].jpg
_MG_1194[1].jpg

Last edited Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:21 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

You could mistake pic2 for a young vulture Steve and yes quite ugly I would say.

John

PS

There's another competition to find the ugliest and cutest bird on a CCG feeder.

Last edited Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:33 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:52 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone is well - long time no speak

I've just received second hand reports (from a very reliable source) of a Male & Female Mandarin on Marine park this afternoon - it may just be worth checking out tomorrow...

Cheers,
Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Originally posted by johnsulli
You could mistake pic2 for a young vulture Steve and yes quite ugly I would say.

John

PS

There's another competition to find the ugliest and cutest bird on a CCG feeder.

Ray emailed the shots mentioning a vulture on his feeder...lol..

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

went out on the boat this morning,bit rought to say the least,but there were plenty gannets diving just off the noth pier,we went a mile and a half out ,came back in cos it was bad,lots of terns diving in the river,great to watch

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Pier and Sandhaven this pm-

Loads of terns around taking advantage of a empty beach - 120+ Common and 60+ Sandwich. Guillemots just off 60+ plus 10 Gannets and 2 Artic skuas in the bay.

Had a pm today to tell me that no fishing signs have been put up at Testoes pond.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0373 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0404 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:27 pm

2 unringed Juv. Little terns on Sandhaven at noon and a adult Little tern was beeing chased by a Common tern near the base of the pier.Plus a single sanderling of note on the beach.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0501 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:09 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk around the park behind the Cock Crow Inn this morning and good to hear a grasshopper warbler on the land behind the pond. Also 4 Canada geese on the lake with 2 mute swans, coot and a multitude of mallard.

Saw one butterfly trying to brave the rain a meadow brown.

Similar to my post this morning on Testo's pond this place is in dire need of a clean up. At the entrance someone has piled up all of the rubbish and when you look at it the majority is beer cans and other packing materials but there was also empty worm containers and other packing associated with fishing. It is likely that this is not club fisherman but those fishing illegally. Around the pond there is empty beer cans lying in many places and a lid from what was probably a sweetcorn tin. Apart from all of the cigarette and crisp packets, fishing tackle in the water - saw a couple of floats anchored by what is envitably fishing line.

This could be another project for CCG pond maintenance team .

Seriously though many of the problems with litter in the borough are caused by the Police moving on kids drinking alcohol to places where they are "out of the way". Trow Quarry, Marsden Quarry,Marsden beach to name but a few. It's only wildlife habitats what does it matter? Just so long as they are not getting complaints from residents complaining of drinking gangs. Problem solved and the statistics tell it all - no anti-social behaviour on our patch!!! Just alcoholic kids who turn to crime to feed their drink and drugs habits.

Solutions on a postcard please to ..............

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Solutions on a postcard please to ..............

Brian

Specify postcard size please

Regards
John

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: