RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 am
by red | 51 Posts

Excellent dug.this is to my knowledge a first for jarrow.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:46 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Saw a juvenile blackbird collecting nesting material at the hospital this morning.

Brian

Further to my post on June 10th (see above) someone showed me this morning where the juvenile is nesting- two floors up on a ledge and sitting on four eggs. The staff who showed me the nest thought it was a thrush because of the speckled breast.

I don't think it will last very long bef0re the herring gulls get the eggs or the young.

Brian

Some of the staff at work who are interested in the welfare of this blackbird asked me to take to some photos of the young chicks which have just hatched.

Brian

Attached pictures:
P9160001 (600 x 450).jpg
P9160003 (600 x 450).jpg
P9160002 (600 x 450).jpg
P9160006 (600 x 450).jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Brian

Are those spikes on the pipe the kind that councils install to stop birds perching and nesting on their ledges and suchlike. If they are they will probably stop Gulls from landing to attack the eggs and young. Well done to the guy who installed them and the Blackbird for choosing the site.

Hopefully they will survive.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
Hi Brian

Are those spikes on the pipe the kind that councils install to stop birds perching and nesting on their ledges and suchlike. If they are they will probably stop Gulls from landing to attack the eggs and young. Well done to the guy who installed them and the Blackbird for choosing the site.

John,

Yes the spike are to stop pigeons and gulls from roosting and nesting on the ledges. As you can see they have even been put on pipes.

I hope that you are right about the spikes protecting the bird because, as you can see when I was photographing the nest, the female was nowhere to be seen but she did return and I bid a hasty retreat. The odd thing is I havn't seen a male around although he must have be there sometime as the eggs are fertile.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:49 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Kingfisher showing very well this morning at the Don pond.

Grey Wagtails on Don as well as 2 Common Terns.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:29 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Red breasted Merganser near the pier (flew passed before I had seen it properly..hence record shot). Good numbers of Common and Sandwich terns here again today, plus one sub-adult Artic. No sign of the Greylag or Mandarin the last couple of days on Marine park.

Attached pictures:
IMG_9461 (Small).JPG
IMG_9479 (Small).JPG
IMG_9431 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:31 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Hi Brian

John,

Yes the spike are to stop pigeons and gulls from roosting and nesting on the ledges. As you can see they have even been put on pipes.

I hope that you are right about the spikes protecting the bird because, as you can see when I was photographing the nest, the female was nowhere to be seen but she did return and I bid a hasty retreat. The odd thing is I havn't seen a male around although he must have be there sometime as the eggs are fertile.

Brian

Hi Brian

John,

Brian

For those of you who haven't fallen asleep during this saga the latest news is that the fourth egg has now hatched, the male blackbird has appeared and is actively feeding the brood along with the female. Causing lots of anxiety in the offices worrying about a brood of four and whether they will survive.........to be continued.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:06 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Here's a couple of photo's while walking along Don this morning,I also seen Kingfisher flying under metal bridge,(Next to Mosaic)3 Curlew, 1Kestrel,Chaffinch Wren.etc.etc.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG

Last edited Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Young coaltit on my garden feeders late afternoon.

Single pied wag hanging around the hospital at the moment and very vocal. Seems to have very dark wings

Discovered a swallows nest under some steel stairs in the hospital grounds.

Latest update from the secretaries on the blackbird nest is mother and all four young doing well!!

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:20 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Wheatear (juv) I think on the Leas mound this morning while out with the dog. Not sure if this is early for wheatears back on the coast.

Loads of hirundine all along the Leas this morning and butterflies everywhere down here.

Hooray for summer.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Swallow family at the base of the pier will soon be fledged.., poor on this visit for Terns only a handfull. This large brown rat was moving in-between the rocks on the north side of the pier, seen it a few times here now over the last year or so.(if its the same one).

Attached pictures:
IMG_9544 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9520 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:46 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Young herring gull chick fell from the roof this morning and flattened a scabius i've got potted in the back yard which broke its fall.

Attached pictures:
herring chick.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Along Don road this morning,Bullfinch, Chaffinch,Blue Tit's,Goldfinch.Greenfinch,Blackcap. Lot's of Long Tailed Tit's,Chiff Chaff,7 Redshank,2 Common Sandpiper's,Curlew,Swan's.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:17 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Quick look round trow at dinner time. Flock of about 20 goldfinch in main bowl, single little owl, couple blackheaded gulls, single whitethroat. Sandwich tern, common tern and gannet fishing quite close in just off the first bay. Juv. cormorant, juv. lbb gull and oyster catcher in second bay, 2 young razorbills swimming just off shore. Little owl near start of tarmac path.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Single Greenshank on the Island in the Don last night. Headed off towards Tyne Dock.

Got a couple of photos but not good enough for here.

3 Redshanks, 3 Common Terns and a Common Sandpiper also along this stretch of water.

Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: