in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:45 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Lucky you and me stuck in Devon.

Scroll up

RE: Hartlepool Headland.

in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by red
,Had a visit to see the white-throated robin,today got sum craking views off this delightful rare visitor.

Had a quick run down myself Red this afternoon after resisting the temptation yesterday.....some cracking photos of yesterdays twitch on the net..lol.
Bird showed after about 10 minutes...distant but good views in the Doc's garden.
Gropper showing nicely on the mound before this.

Attached pictures:
IMG_8937 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8889 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm

One of the best u-tube clips from yesterday-so glad I never ventured yesterday.!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIDJYMUL0mc

Last edited Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm
by JohnP | 5 Posts

You're getting off your patch too often Mr E, are you turning into a twitcher ?

I was at Saltholme and saw the Spoonbill...and quite a few twitchers who had been to the "Dr's Garden" at the headland dropping in to see the spoonbill on the way south. Sat next to that old bloke (sic) who was retiring on that TV prog on twitchers recently.

All in all a good visit inspired by your pics on your blog I might add :-) thanks for the pics from the walk too

JohnP

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Originally posted by JohnP
You're getting off your patch too often Mr E, are you turning into a twitcher ?

I was at Saltholme and saw the Spoonbill...and quite a few twitchers who had been to the "Dr's Garden" at the headland dropping in to see the spoonbill on the way south. Sat next to that old bloke (sic) who was retiring on that TV prog on twitchers recently.

All in all a good visit inspired by your pics on your blog I might add :-) thanks for the pics from the walk too

JohnP

I know John its shocking!.....3 visits out of the area in less than a month and 3 lifers, its never been known for me. Mind Northumberland and Crimdon/Blackhall was a day out with our lass and Max...honest!
Glad you and the better half enjoyed the walk more are planned for the future..details to follow.

Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Originally posted by Berb
Good shot of Reed Warbler Steve,had a look around there today,grass cutting everywhere expect a few Skylarks and Mipits nests will have been wiped out.Talking to some dog walker who had picked up a small black book a few days ago with bird sightings in etc ,he said he would hand it in to the gateman at the academy when he got the chance,ask around to see if its anyones,i will put a message on birdforum.
Few pics from today.

Bob

Best shot of a Reed Ive managed Bob here...cheers.(you don't do bad ya self!)
Ive noticed the grass cutting going on for the last few weeks here, maybe we or other wildlife friendly groups should approach the football club.

I am pleased with the way the Leas has been cut this early summer allowing large areas of grassland to be left, but some of these areas do need to be cut come late summer for wild flowers etc. (no expert with these just going off what I am told).

Back down one the patchs today JP - good numbers of Gannets off Souter, no "jumpers"(young Razorbills)" yet on the watched ledges on Jack rock, and a few young Kits showing now. Reed buntings nest and a pair of Partridge found by accident south of here.
Oh and a good no. of Bee Orchids near the ringing hut, told the other day about these.

Attached pictures:
IMG_8953 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8976 (Small).JPG
IMG_8947 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9006 (Small).JPG

Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

A couple of shot's while walking along Don Road this morning,Also Coal Tit In my garden this afternoon.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1547-1.JPG
IMG_1552-1.JPG
IMG_1554-1.JPG

Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Originally posted by Jarra Sid
A couple of shot's while walking along Don Road this morning,Also Coal Tit In my garden this afternoon.

Thats canny record for Coal tit Sid in Jarra this time of year.!(got to be hard to see now)more recordings are needed. Alot of the stuff around the Don valley is not recorded and should be.

Last edited Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Originally posted by Jarra Sid

Thats canny record for Coal tit Sid in Jarra this time of year.!(got to be hard to see now)more recordings are needed. Alot of the stuff around the Don valley is not recorded and should be.

There was also fledgling Greenfinch ( 4) also young Chiff Chaff.Along Don Road. Few Goldfinch.Swallow's really active along this road,Also In Charlie's Park.I also seen Kingfisher this morning just as I was crossing metal bridge.(Lovely sight).

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Juvenile heron being mobbed by crows near littlehaven groyne this evening

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Drake Mandarin back on Marine park this morning and a canny few Sandwich and Common terns around the pier.

Attached pictures:
IMG_9017 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9024 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9048 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:30 pm | Scroll up

Advice on Farne Islands Please

in Birds & Birding Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:10 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi,
I'm intending to visit the Farne Islands to see the nesting birds, and wanted to ask advice on the best time to go and the best trip to take. You can choose to land on Inner farne or on Staple Island - does anyone have a view on which offers the best opportunities to see all the birds but especially puffins?
I was planning to go hopefully before the end of the month, but when should I definitely squeeze a visit in by?
Finally, there is an option to do both islands on a 5 1/2 hour trip - would you recommend this to a non-birder, or would I be best choosing an island and doing a shorter visit?
All comments gratefully received.
Thanks
Clare

Scroll up

RE: Advice on Farne Islands Please

in Birds & Birding Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Originally posted by Clare
Hi,
I'm intending to visit the Farne Islands to see the nesting birds, and wanted to ask advice on the best time to go and the best trip to take. You can choose to land on Inner farne or on Staple Island - does anyone have a view on which offers the best opportunities to see all the birds but especially puffins?
I was planning to go hopefully before the end of the month, but when should I definitely squeeze a visit in by?
Finally, there is an option to do both islands on a 5 1/2 hour trip - would you recommend this to a non-birder, or would I be best choosing an island and doing a shorter visit?
All comments gratefully received.
Thanks
Clare

Hi Clare
The all day birders trip is a fantastic trip which I have done several times. But if I had to choose just one island to land on it would be inner Farne, all the birds can be seen on both of the islands but you get closer to the terns and other nesting birds on this one. The Puffins can be viewed really well and often just stand outside thier burrows or on the cliff tops. Take a hat for the dive bombing terns!
I always went before the end of June so don't know what it is like after this.?

Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 pm | Scroll up

RE: Advice on Farne Islands Please

in Birds & Birding Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Clare

I have only been twice before and did both Islands. The first time I went was in late May before most of the birds eggs hatched and although great to see birds close up I think most people visiting wish to see Puffins with a bill filled with fish returning to feed their young. I would think anytime in the next week or so is best to get views of Puffin landing with fish.
Its also best to phone the boat operator up before you go to ask if they are landing people on the Islands as it depends on the swell of the sea not necesarily the wave conditions.
I am of the same opinion as Steve, if you are not a birder and don't want a whole day birding then just do the Inner Farne.
Hope this helps.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:54 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Saw a juvenile blackbird collecting nesting material at the hospital this morning.

Brian

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: