RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

I popped over to Testo's pond today.lot's of young coot's.Swan's with 8 cygnet's.Moorhen trying to hide,(can you find it)lol,Blackbird's nest which was found tonight after my friend nearly stood on It,It's in short grass.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1452-1.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG

Last edited Fri May 27, 2011 10:37 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Nice walk this morning along a section of our coastline with a few members of the forum and interested folk. Most of the usual bird life was encounted including- Linnets,Common Whitethroats, Reed buntings, Heron, Skylarks, Meadow pipits, Sand martins,swallows,swifts Wheatears etc. A few Gannets flew by off shore also a few Common scoters.
The walk ended at Jack rock to view some of Sea bird colony, a very young Razorbill popped out from underneath its parent for a short time and Cormorant chicks are in various stages of development. A couple of imm. Shags were also hanging around the stack.
A very enjoyable few hours in good company thanks to everyone who attended. Another walk is planned for next month so I hope to see a few more people joining in on this one...more info to follow about this walk.

A few shots from today- The Kittiwake shot was taken at our inland nesting colony....again another horrible slow death must have occured for this bird. 48 active nests this year here. Reed bunting from the Academy.

Attached pictures:
IMG_7782 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7789 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7809 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7825 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7837 (Medium).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 11:46 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Anyone wanting close ups of Swifts, Swallow, House Martins should have been down on the Mound and Leas this morning as I haven't seen a spectacle like this mornings down there before as all species were low to the ground and coming in very, very close especially the Swifts. Shame I didn't have the camera although shooting something as quick as Hirundines wasn't ideal with poor light and strong winds down there. Even so it was a superb experience.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 4:07 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Just wondered if anyone had an update on the possible Reed/Icterine warb at St Pauls church in Jarrow this morning ?.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Tried this morning for the poss. Marsh warb. John after Davy phoned me but the illusive bugger had stopped singing about 20 minutes before I arrived. Popped down there again later on but the wind was just too strong.
Hopefully the bird sticks around and can be located again.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 5:26 pm
by red | 51 Posts

Hi Steve.Poping down later davy.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 6:15 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
Anyone wanting close ups of Swifts, Swallow, House Martins should have been down on the Mound and Leas this morning as I haven't seen a spectacle like this mornings down there before as all species were low to the ground and coming in very, very close especially the Swifts. Shame I didn't have the camera although shooting something as quick as Hirundines wasn't ideal with poor light and strong winds down there. Even so it was a superb experience.

John

Another good place is the waste ground off King George Road where they knocked the Cleadon Park Estate down. It was so busy with them on Saturday that I pulled the car over and just sat and watched them in action, awesome displays!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 29, 2011 11:59 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Only bird photo i kept from the trip to Gaitbarrows & Leighton Moss with my mate Michael_A today. Although we had a great view of a male Marsh Harrier it caught us by complete surprise - and guess what Steve, yep camera was tucked up in bag and by the time i was shooting, said Marsh Harrier was about a mile away

Attached pictures:
DSC_1402-05-29-11_13557.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Hi, how do I upload photos. Sorry but havn't a clue.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Only bird photo i kept from the trip to Gaitbarrows & Leighton Moss with my mate Michael_A today. Although we had a great view of a male Marsh Harrier it caught us by complete surprise - and guess what Steve, yep camera was tucked up in bag and by the time i was shooting, said Marsh Harrier was about a mile away

Thats not like you Derek!.... One of these days the penny will drop...never put the camera away except for- chucking it down, lightening storms,hail stones the size of golf balls etc.etc.

Last edited Mon May 30, 2011 3:46 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Doug
Try the link to a previous post regarding uploading of pictures.

search.php?suchen=upload+picture&im_feld=text&forum=0&zeit=9999&s=2

If you are still having problems PM me and I will see if I can help further.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

A hour down Marsden bay this afternoon-
What really struck us was the number of Sand martins now using the north end of the bay for nesting! Mr Holden had informed me the "birds" were using the recent rock/landslide beside the steps here, but they are also nesting along the cliff-line north of here with various nest hole excavated to the regular used area. Hard to esitmate how many but I would put the figure close to 60 pairs this year.
Has anyone checked the Whitburn colony this year?..

Attached pictures:
IMG_8069 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8082 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8116 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8181 (Medium).JPG

Last edited Mon May 30, 2011 5:14 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Skein of about 80 geese,flying north up the coast 21.07...............Laurence

Last edited Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 am
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Another 12 geese flying westerly over Marsden 11.52am .............Laurence.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a ride to Saltholme today just to pass a couple of hours before family duties

Bird wise it was the quietest i've ever seen the place, so i didn't hang around too long and went across to Dormans (top carpark) access road in the hope of a couple of shots of Sedgies or Whitethroats in the bushes - no luck there, but loads of Swifts, Swallows & House Martins swooping around the tall trees near the triangle - so i decided to give them a whirl

Had to up EV compensation to +2 and ISO to 1600 to get any kind of shutter speed quick enough to catch the little bu**ers. Fortunately the +ve EV compensation totally blew the drab grey sky and i was able to do a replace colour to get a bit of pale blue showing ..

Here are a couple of the keepers i got;

Attached pictures:
DSC_2049-06-04-11_14064.jpg
DSC_2080-06-04-11_14095.jpg
DSC_2296-06-04-11_14293.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: