RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by chrismckie
Can anyone fill me in on exactly how to insert pics into forum posts? What size should they be etc?
Regards to all
Chris

Hi Chris
Picture size should be around 800x600 pix or 1024x768 pix.

Insert your comments in the "message box" and click on the "Attach File" button bottom right of the "message box".
Browse to where you keep your pics and use the "Add input field if mor than one pic the click on the "Upload" button and keep your fingers crossed .

Any probs let me know.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

just a test

Attached pictures:
Copy of thornley woods 29-4-11 001.jpg

Last edited Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed May 11, 2011 2:39 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Had a walk along don this morning,Met up with Red & Jarra Doug,Seen Peregrine drifting round over port of tyne.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Single little owl seen in trow main bowl this afternoon, also pair of whitethroats, 2 blackbirds and 6 house sparrows. Sandwich turn just off first bay and 2 cormorants off second bay. Looks like another nesting pair of whitethroats along the leas hedge. Loads of sandmartin. Four reed bunts on the mound, 8 linnets and meadow pips and grasshopper warbler. Housemartins flying around mangos when i went back to the car as well as swallows. One swallow which was flying around the car park looked very reddish pink on its underparts, after looking it up could be eastern mediteranean bird

Attached pictures:
trowl.jpg
whitethroat trow.jpg

Last edited Wed May 11, 2011 4:49 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Spotted flycatcher seen in trow main bowl this afternoon, also 2 whinchats on the island of long grass near mangos.

Attached pictures:
spotted fly 2.jpg
spotted fly 3.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 12, 2011 5:40 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Walked along Don this morning with Red & Jarra Doug,,,,,,Robin's, Chiff Chaff, Chaffinch,Blackcap,Whitethroat's.Long Tail Tit's (Fledgling's),Watched these being fed.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Trip to Saltholme today resulted in my best ever sighting of a reeling Grasshopper Warbler from the bushes on opposite side of road to Dormans Pool lower car park. I was totally mesmerised by the bird for almost 2 hours as is perched in the open reeling for all its might. I was also really happy to get good views of a nice Whitethroat, which has been a bit of a bogey bird for me in terms of close uncluttered pictures...

Attached pictures:
DSC_9958-05-15-11_10717.jpg
DSC_0593-05-15-11_11242.jpg
DSC_9856-05-15-11_10616.jpg
DSC_9880-05-15-11_10640.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Also saw the 3/4 Summer Plumaged Ruff at RSPB Saltholme - pictures OK but just wished that the light had been a bit better..

Attached pictures:
DSC_0183-05-15-11_10832.jpg

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Cracking shots once again Derek, especially like the Gropper and I bet you don't have many if any of an uncluttered Lesser Whitethroat as they seem as though they are always in a thicket (usually at the bottom).

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Walking the dogs yesterday morning and a couple of Jackdaws were on the footpath around the mound area of the Leas one of which had a strikingly blue head and just got around to checking it out today and think it may have been a Nordic Jackdaw !.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 12:13 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Trip to Saltholme today resulted in my best ever sighting of a reeling Grasshopper Warbler from the bushes on opposite side of road to Dormans Pool lower car park. I was totally mesmerised by the bird for almost 2 hours as is perched in the open reeling for all its might. I was also really happy to get good views of a nice Whitethroat, which has been a bit of a bogey bird for me in terms of close uncluttered pictures...

Derek

Fantastic Photo's as always -well impressed

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks John & Paul - out of interest John, is the picture of the 'Whitethroat' actually a Lesser Whitethroat? I have not got a clue, what would i be looking for that is different in a Common Whitethroat?

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Derek
Looking at the most obvious differences, the Common has a yellowish bill and yellowish legs whereas the Lesser has grey bill and legs, not that I have seen much of the bird as they have always been well hidden and apparently most birders know they are there by the song which is unmistakable except to my ears as I am rubbish with bird song.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks John - will keep a lookout for Lesser Whitethroat

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Hope you have better luck than me Derek! ;)

Last edited Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: