RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
Nice photos Steve. I've just been out in the back yard( Mowbray road) and saw a couple of swifts overhead, our Keith said he saw a few earlier today where he lives too, also i could hear a whitethroat singing away somewhere down the back lane.
I've noticed the blackbirds down trow on most of my visits recently, i know there is definitely a nest with brood in the gorse on the mound.
I had a feeling the flycatcher wouldn't hang about. It flew from the main bowl direction and landed in the knot weed as i was passing the trowls elder tree, it only sat for a few seconds then flew off northwards over the trow approach road.

Aye Ian did'nt expect the spotfly to hang about. Your photo's are excellent with the set up you are using at the moment, I am still getting to grips with mine. cheers.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 7:20 pm
by Double Trouble | 4 Posts

Down the Don this morning, we bumped into a few people, including Jarra Sid. Saw a Whimbrel and took a picture of it, but could only see a sillhoute of it. Also saw some Housemartins along with Swallows, Whitethroat, Blue Tits, Chaffinches. The Moorhens are still brooding over their sometimes submerged egg.

The weather got better this afternoon so took an unplanned trip to the Primrose Nature Reserve, where we spotted Ducklings, Moorhens, Mute Swans and also a Rat, which was collecting bread a young boy was throwing to the birds. Also went along to the cemetery, lots of Rabbits and Squirrels. The most impressive sight there was of the Woodpecker, where we followed it for about ten minutes, whilst it collected food from the ground for its chicks. Have posted a few pics of our afternoon trek in the gallerys. Hope you enjoy them.

Last edited Sun May 08, 2011 7:24 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
Nice photos Steve. I've just been out in the back yard( Mowbray road) and saw a couple of swifts overhead, our Keith said he saw a few earlier today where he lives too, also i could hear a whitethroat singing away somewhere down the back lane.
I've noticed the blackbirds down trow on most of my visits recently, i know there is definitely a nest with brood in the gorse on the mound.
I had a feeling the flycatcher wouldn't hang about. It flew from the main bowl direction and landed in the knot weed as i was passing the trowls elder tree, it only sat for a few seconds then flew off northwards over the trow approach road.

Thanks Ian, you are producing excellent shots yourself with your present set up camera wise..... great stuff!

Last edited Sun May 08, 2011 7:47 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 10:50 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Trying to photograph Dippers at Frosterley today. This proved pretty difficult, as once i'd been spotted they went in the opposite direction to gather food, leaving me to shoot the Wagtails that were not bothered about my presence.

After an hour or so i decided that Wagtails on stones was too easy, so i tried for something a bit more challenging (too challenging i think )

Anyway couple of pics from todays adventure:

Attached pictures:
DSC_9698-05-08-11_10343.jpg
DSC_9778-05-08-11_10423.jpg
DSC_9743-05-08-11_10288.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Originally posted by Jarra Sid
Moorhen's still making a go with their nest on the don beide St Paul's Church.Look closely on second photo you can see bird on bottom right of trolley taking more nesting material In.

Sure a new gallery could be created on this site of birds on trolleys or in unusal places...great stuff!

Attached pictures:
Kingfisher near st.Pauls (Small).JPG

Last edited Sun May 08, 2011 11:43 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Chiffchaff singing away in trees at the entrance of Beaconside this morning.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Some fantastic shots on here recently - Steve's flying Kestrel and the Wagtail after the insects being my favourites. Well done lads!
Just to mention - loads of swifts (upwards of ten/twelve) circling school and Valley View Park, joined by numerous swallows with their superb 'squeaking'. Love that sound! Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Chiff Chaff heard in the trees surrounding the yard as well.

Forgot to mention - had 14 magpies sitting on one chimney/aerial/roof in Marine Approach last night making one hell of a racket! Don't think I have ever seen as many in one place before.

Last edited Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Saw my first fledgling of the year at work today - a young blackbird

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I had two Blackbird fledgelings in the garden on Saturday morning, I say two because a Crow came and took one after disembowling it and leaving its bits behind. Sorry if anyone is having tea.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by chrismckie
Some fantastic shots on here recently - Steve's flying Kestrel and the Wagtail after the insects being my favourites. Well done lads.

Got to agree with you there Chris the quality is getting better and better with some real belters being posted I think it is hard to pick out a favourite/s I am just envious they aren't mine. Well done and keep them coming as they say.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 8:41 pm

The buggers never sit still long enough after I shout 'SAY CHEEEESSSE!' for some reason...
Do you think Steve just says it more politely? ;-)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by chrismckie
The buggers never sit still long enough after I shout 'SAY CHEEEESSSE!' for some reason...

That is really funny Chris - really made me laugh out loud

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 10, 2011 8:19 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Pair of grey wagtails in the hospital grounds over the last few days, they seem to be looking for a nest site.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 10, 2011 5:49 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Seen these Chick's In stream along form P.N.R last night,I think there's 12 of them.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1119-1.JPG

Last edited Tue May 10, 2011 5:49 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Was down on the beach for about 5 this morning and had a really good wander about while it was quiet. Got some great shots of the sun coming up.
Sandhaven beach - 3 sandwich tern, 3 Knot flying past and a solitary Sanderling as well as an oystercatcher and the usual gulls. Lots of house martin and swallows as well as the occasional swift around all morning.
Trow quarry - Meadow pipit treating us to song and 'parachuting', male Reed bunting singing and showing well from the uncut area in the centre of the main bowl, female blackbird returning time and time again to the same place, male and female Whitethroat displaying and then mating whilst making as much noise as possible :). Three Greenfinch flew through as did Goldfinch and Linnet. Multitudes of rabbits and a single Wheatear beside the gun. Saw a large bird of prey off the coast heading south whilst at the gun. I am presuming it was a buzzard as I could not see it closely enough to make a positive i.d. Thick wings with 'fingers', very dark brown underneath though and not soaring but beating and gliding in a regular pattern. Tail was fan shaped. Just thought that it was strange because I have never seen one out over the sea before.
Second bay - Eclipse Eider (thanks for the help with the identification Dougie) with three females out to sea here. Could hear Grasshopper Warbler from the mound as I watched them so I went for a closer look and got some great views of two birds reeling away. Linnet (in large numbers) and a male Grey pheasant also present on the mound as well as a couple of Reed Bunting.
Got a couple of photos but the batteries died quite early on and I didn't have spares on me. Can anyone fill me in on exactly how to insert pics into forum posts? What size should they be etc?
Regards to all
Chris

Last edited Tue May 10, 2011 6:15 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: