RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 8:57 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by chrismckie
Any news on this Dotterel then? Had to climb a bloody big mountain to find mine and one turns up in Whitburn!?!? ;)

DBC sightings page reports a Dotterel in the Whitburn coastal park this morning which flew off east. Also a female Marsh harrier for the second morning at Cleadon hills.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 8:59 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers derek

Scroll up

RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

does anyone know if anyone will be at the bird ringing place early tomorrow at souter
cheers

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 11:14 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Well.........., Me and John ARE going tomorrow but the weather outlook is looking pretty awful through the night and may continue through the morning, so we're not sure exactly if we'll bother doing it for long or even at all! Basically we'll be there at 6.30 and we'll see what its like. Not sure what time you were thinking of visiting but if we're not there dont be too surprised!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

cheers for that,i will see what the weather is like,

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Got a tip off from someone at Dormans Pool that a Stone Curlew had been seen down the 'Koppers' road (opposite the Dormans Pool entry road) this afternoon.... Chanced my arm thinking it would be like finding a needle in a haystack - fortunately there were approx 30 birders already there who had located it

2 mins before i arrived it decided to fly further away from the crowd so i only managed a mega distant shot of it...

Attached pictures:
DSC_9511-05-07-11_10056.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Got a tip off from someone at Dormans Pool that a Stone Curlew had been seen down the 'Koppers' road (opposite the Dormans Pool entry road) this afternoon.... Chanced my arm thinking it would be like finding a needle in a haystack - fortunately there were approx 30 birders already there who had located it

2 mins before i arrived it decided to fly further away from the crowd so i only managed a mega distant shot of it...

Depressed... Well done ya jammy s*d.....still yet to see this species myself.

Reports of Tree pipits and Ring Ouzel seen at Jackies beach later today, worth a look around tomorrow in the area with the weather the way it is for "odds and sods".

Last edited Sat May 07, 2011 9:59 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 07, 2011 10:03 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
Depressed... Well done ya jammy s*d.....still yet to see this species myself.

LOL - and i thought my lucky streak was deserting me - 2 brand new birds in 2 days for me (this one and Garden Warbler)

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

garden warbler and whinchat for me,thanks for a great morning at souter john

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Moorhen's still making a go with their nest on the don beide St Paul's Church.Look closely on second photo you can see bird on bottom right of trolley taking more nesting material In.

Attached pictures:
100_4737.JPG
100_4738.JPG

Last edited Sat May 07, 2011 11:39 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Still a few wheatears around at the moment saw one female in Marsden Old Quarry this morning and there was a male and female on Cleadon Hills last night.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 1:45 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Few migrants about in trow at dinnertime, saw my first spotted flycatcher of the year in the main bowl. Also a pair of wheatear, 2 whinchat, willow warb, and 3 whitethroat, two of which were collecting nest material here. Kestrel hovering over the mound, usual med pips and linnets and 2 reed bunts here.

Attached pictures:
spotted.jpg
wheatear 1.jpg
whinchat.jpg
whitethroat 1.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 3:14 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Also a few housemartins flying about near the road down to trow

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Had a hour down the coast after work today..
It started well whilst driving down Mowbray rd. about 6 Swifts overhead...our first of the year.
Dipped on the Spotfly and Whinchats that Ian seen earlier today but nice all the same to wander down here. 2 male C.Whitethroats singing in different parts of Trow along with House spuggs gathering food stuff in the main bowl area.( Wonder where they are nesting? possibly near the Bamburgh pub). Also a couple of Wheaters about and the invertibrate hunting male Kestrel who performed well again on this visit.
2 male Blackies in the area I thought unusal for this time of year.

Walked around south Marine park- Madarin not on show or the single Mallard duckling on our visit. 2 Blackcap males singing, 1 Chiffy and a real surprise was hearing and seeing a Sedge warb. singing from the treed area here. He showed a few times but remained in the cover of a bush mainly whilst belting out his call.

Attached pictures:
kes 2 (Small).JPG
Kes (Small).JPG
cock linnet (Small).JPG
medpip (Small).JPG
trow white (Small).JPG

Last edited Sun May 08, 2011 5:04 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Nice photos Steve. I've just been out in the back yard( Mowbray road) and saw a couple of swifts overhead, our Keith said he saw a few earlier today where he lives too, also i could hear a whitethroat singing away somewhere down the back lane.
I've noticed the blackbirds down trow on most of my visits recently, i know there is definitely a nest with brood in the gorse on the mound.
I had a feeling the flycatcher wouldn't hang about. It flew from the main bowl direction and landed in the knot weed as i was passing the trowls elder tree, it only sat for a few seconds then flew off northwards over the trow approach road.

Last edited Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: