RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Quick visit of trow and mound over dinnertime, good views of both little owls in main bowl again, three willow warbs, pair of whitethroat in the owls elder tree and half dozen swallows flying about. Linnets and med pips on the mound, two groppers seen, 2 reed bunts and blackbird. Couple of record shots

Attached pictures:
whitethroat.jpg
whitethroat 2.jpg
Scroll up

RE: SAFC PONDS

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 am
by Berb | 133 Posts

Another look around yesterday morning,heavy grass frost first thing,usual suspects around,fox seen again with what looked like a medium sized bird in its mouth but shot into reeds before i got camera raised.Lone canada goose on main pond first here for me,still aint seen any yellow wags here this year.Few pics attached.

Bob

Attached pictures:
can.gif
groper-1.gif
reedy.gif
whitth.gif
lin.gif
swallow-4.gif

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Definitely four little owls in trow, spotted two in the main bowl this morning and then another pair opposite the second bay. Also spotted a sedge warbler in the main bowl which i've never seen there before, did hope it was something more unusual when i first saw it like aquatic . Never mind

Attached pictures:
sedge.jpg

Last edited Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Spotted Flycatcher along Don road this morning,(Thank's to Red for phone call)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 2:13 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

I thought I had seen a Sedge down there the other night Ian but couldn't be certain so said nowt. May have been the same bird?

FOUR Little Owls? Still never seen ONE of the little......darlings. How far away do you have to be so as not to spook them?

Chris

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 2:46 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Alright Chris, I've just got back from a second visit of trow and one of the main bowl owls was showing well again. At the moment you can get to within 5-10 meters from one of the main bowl owls (the one with the dodgy foot), but the two at the 2nd bay are usualy a bit more wary.
Also two willow warbs in the main bowl this afternoon.
Managed to get photo's of three of the little owls this morning

Attached pictures:
main trowl.jpg
2nd bay owl.jpg
another 2nd bay owl.jpg
willow warb.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Had a run over to Benton this morning to have new brakes fitted to the motor and while there took the bins over to the Rising Sun CP just over the road from the garage which is great when the work only takes an hour to do and you are normally sitting about twiddling thumbs.
Anyway lots of Willow Warbs, Reed Bunts, couple of Mistle Thrush, Meadow Pips, Skylarks, all the usual I guess in this area with LBB Gulls, BH Gulls, Coot, Mute Swan, Pochard, Tuftie, Little Grebe, Mallard on Swallow Pond.

Read the Info board at the entrance to the CP and was suprised to see they had a confirmed sighting of a Red Squirrel in the Park last Sep - Oct which is interesting, I thought Red's were only to be found further north.

Can't wait for the next car service .
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

I see the Shields Gazette had a report about the Mandarin at the Marine Park today,better late than never! :)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just got back from trow and the leas. Little owl showing well in main bowl again and got distant views of one of the second bay owls too. Three whinchats along the hedge, my first of the year. Loads of swallows bombing about, most i;ve seen so far this year. Whitethroat was scratching away in the main bowl on my way back through near the apple tree.

Attached pictures:
trowl.jpg
2nd bay owl.jpg
leas whinchat.jpg
whitethroat.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Ian
I was up along part of the hegerow this morning and saw something dart into the hedge but couldn't locate it again but looked awfully yellow/brownish so I reckon it could have been your Whinchat.

Regards

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 5:03 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Alright John, there were quite a few other wabler sized LBJ's darting into the hedge that i couldn't get a decent look at and only saw the back end of them disappearing unfortunately. At first i thought there were just a pair but a bit further along a third whinchat joined them

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Any news on this Dotterel then? Had to climb a bloody big mountain to find mine and one turns up in Whitburn!?!? ;)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Originally posted by chrismckie
Any news on this Dotterel then? Had to climb a bloody big mountain to find mine and one turns up in Whitburn!?!? ;)

My dad phoned me this morning to say that the Whitburn end of Lizard Lane was full of birders and so was Cleadon Lane next to the Charlie Hurley Centre and he wondered if I knew that was going on?

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 pm
by Pete | 39 Posts

saw a couple of jays down hebburn riverside on the way to work this morning same place i've seen them before near the first few houses of bill quay, I love this spot as it's great for sparrowhawks and GSW's too.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
Just got back from trow and the leas. Little owl showing well in main bowl again and got distant views of one of the second bay owls too. Three whinchats along the hedge, my first of the year. Loads of swallows bombing about, most i;ve seen so far this year. Whitethroat was scratching away in the main bowl on my way back through near the apple tree.

That first pic of the LO is a beauty Ian

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: