RE: Birds

in Birds & Birding Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:02 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Peregrine also seen along River Don today,approx time 1pm.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 01, 2011 4:06 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Still one Mallard duckling "hanging in there" in the Marine park.....I would think its out of danger now but no parents with it.
No sign of Mandarin on this visit.

Attached pictures:
IMG_6052 (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun May 01, 2011 4:06 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
Still one Mallard duckling "hanging in there" in the Marine park.....I would think its out of danger now but no parents with it.
No sign of Mandarin on this visit.

9 Chick's on River Don today.Also along Don Road Sparrowhawk,Kestrel,Garden Warbler,Blackcap's,Chiff Chaff,Goldfinch,Wren,Robin,Swallow's.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0982.JPG

Last edited Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a 'family' trip out to Watergate Forest Park and what a great day we had. I had noticed the Gateshead Birders often mention the place and they are not wrong. Just behind Emanuel College and the walk is about 3 miles it is a great place to spend a few hours.

Birds seen include mute swan, tufted duck, coot, moorhen, little grebe, mallard, chiffchaff, blackbird, starling, willow warbler, blackcap, wren, great tit, blue tit, swallow, robin and jay. Also spotted tadpoles in the lake.

Butterflies seen were small tortiseshell, peacock, large and small whites, orange tip and speckled wood.

Loads of insects and flowers on display, most of which I couldn't identify, but the place was alive with the smell of bluebells, ransomes and May blossom.

I would throughly recommend a trip to this park if you haven't already been.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun May 01, 2011 10:32 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

This Moorhen has built It's nest In an awkward place,This Is beside Old Bridge behind St.Paul's Church,I'm sure everyone Is aware of the tide coming In & out,This Bird has now been here for 4 or 5 day's,Even when tide covered trolley today,It was still collecting nesting material.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0979-1.JPG

Last edited Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 10:09 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Grasshopper warbler reeling on Cleadon Hills last night. It was over by the stile that leads to Whitburn.

Good views of both Little owls in Marsden Old Quarry this morning. They were sitting in a tree on the southern face, I was going to take my camera but decided not to at the last minute.

Would anyone agree that this seems to be an excellent year for whitethroat? It doesn't matter where you go as long as there are trees there are whitethroat, they seem to be everywhere.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Would anyone agree that this seems to be an excellent year for whitethroat? It doesn't matter where you go as long as there are trees there are whitethroat, they seem to be everywhere.

Brian

Might be everywhere where you are Brian but I haven't seen one in Trow this year .

Still waiting for the first Swift to arrive around here, the previous couple of years they arrived around the 7th May so I think any day now and they should be gracing our skies. .

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 11:10 am
by Double Trouble | 4 Posts

The tide was out this morning and had a look at the trolley. Could see at least one egg in the nest. The Moorhen saw us as it was not brooding, and came along and sat on the egg.

Attached pictures:
egg.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

The birds got no taste I'm sure thats a Tesco trolley, and there are loads of classier trolleys further down the river to choose from

John

Scroll up

SAFC PONDS

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Bit mooch around the ponds first thing as no kip due to jetlag,quite a bit round birdwise,Gropers,sedgies,reedbuntings,wheatear.
Also fox stalking the reedbeds,just wondering if it put pay to last years signets ?
Few pics attached

Bob

Attached pictures:
rb.jpg
GW.jpg
wt.jpg
WHEATEAR.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Yeah Brian theres definitely plenty of Whitethroats about at the moment. I've seen them in 5 different sites so far. I also Ringed one yesterday morning at the Coastal Park.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 7:09 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Another trip to Muggleswick today in search of Redstarts - no joy with the Redstarts but my best view up there of a Wheatear along with a nice little Weasel checking me out from a little hidey hole. Dropped down to Bollihope for a quick look down there - but a gazillion picknickers put paid to any birding opportunity. Carried on to Frosterly for a look down the river - managed a good view of Grey Wagtail which looked to be feeding a young bird along with Sand Martins, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler.

Couple of pics from today..

Attached pictures:
DSC_9418-05-02-11_9287.jpg
DSC_9299-05-02-11_9168.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 7:31 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Had a visit across the water today, first stop was Swallow pond(Rising sun CP) not much out of the ordinary here except for the Red deer stag showing well in a horses field. Years ago this stag would have not lasted a week here!
From the budge screen at Druridge - pair of Pintails and a drake Garganey also our first Stonechat of the year in the dunes here.
Cresswell- Trees spugs on the approach path, 2 Avocets,2 Black tailed Godwits and 70+ Pink footed geese of note.
Ice -cream eating and seawatching at Cresswell-Our 3 species of commoner terns, pair of Red breasted mergansers, Guillemots,Razors and Puffins.
Only managed record shots of birds today.

Attached pictures:
IMG_6139 (Small).JPG
IMG_6145 (Small).JPG
IMG_6189 (Small).JPG
IMG_6200 (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon May 02, 2011 7:39 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Double Trouble
The tide was out this morning and had a look at the trolley. Could see at least one egg in the nest. The Moorhen saw us as it was not brooding, and came along and sat on the egg.

It was still sitting on egg when I passed later on.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Both little owls showed in trow main bowl at dinner time today, managed a pic of one but the other was too quick for me and hid as soon as i lifted my camera. Lots of house sparrows and starlings flying around picking off the flies. Second bay little owl on show briefly and only managed distant record shot. Med pipits and skylaks around the mound, 2 grasshopper warbs reeling one of them seen, 2 reed bunting and blackbird with a brood of young here also. Two wheatear along the hedge, 2 swallow flew over and loads of sand martin, pair of pied wagtail in usual spot half way along. Single little owl still showing in main bowl on way back. Half dozen linnets by mangos car park

Attached pictures:
main bowl trowl 1.jpg
2nd bay owl.jpg
male pied.jpg
female pied wag.jpg
main bowl trowl.jpg
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: