RE: Nice one!

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:35 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Went inland today with our lass and little legs to visit a couple of sites. First called into Tunstal res. pair of G.G.Grebes on the lake and then into the woods we headed- Only managed 2 male Pied Flycatchers and a female(nest building in full swing with this species), 2 male Nuthatches singing, pair of Marsh tits and a singles of male Redstart and Treecreeper along with loads of commoner species here. Oh and a Robin sitting on a nest in exactly the same place as we seen it last year.Also I am pretty certain I heard Wood warbler but the bird only called for a short time and I could'nt pin it down.
Mind this is better than a couple of birders we bumped into at the entrance as we entered the woods who said they had seen none of thier "target" species..ie- Pied fly and Redstart. And also better than my last visit this time last year.
A Dipper flew up the stream towards the dried up over spill ramp as we crossed the bridge on the return journey.

We next went along to Muggleswick woods area, this is not a site I am familiar with so just parked where I could, got the dog out for a walk and soon returned to the car. By this stage Jan's legs had just about "gone". So just parked the car a little further up the single track road in a safe place and watched the woods from here. Picked a canny spot luckerly! A pair of Pied Fly's were nest building about 40 yards away. Also a Red Kite went over thro- the tree canopie.

Best of the bunch of pants shots from today.....we enjoyed it though!

Attached pictures:
f.p.fly (Small).JPG
IMG_5794 (Small).JPG
IMG_5830 (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:37 pm | Scroll up

ID Help Please

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:03 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Can one of you knowledgeable ladies or gents tell me what this is. I cannot tell from the light or angle. I first thought blackcap but I'm not so sure.

Thanks Paul

Attached pictures:
---3.jpg
--.jpg
Scroll up

RE: ID Help Please

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:09 pm
by Michael_A | 74 Posts

Looks like a Whitethroat, i think!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:38 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Michael That was another option I had but I'm not so sure. I can't see the distintive stand out whitethroat . I've stuck apicture of a whietroat I also took today and ther seems to be a lot of differnces but you may be right.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Dan
Can one of you knowledgeable ladies or gents tell me what this is. I cannot tell from the light or angle. I first thought blackcap but I'm not so sure.

Thanks Paul

Got ya self a common whitethroat there Paul,...light etc. can play tricks but you can see the back pattern almost along with head detail...The "stand out white throat" is not always a key towards ID...The reason I would rule out lesser white is the contrast regards the back and head colour, normally the lesser seem much drabber,not having the brighter colouring the Common's have on thier backs. Just my view!

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:49 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Great day up in Northumberland this afternoon in the Glanton/Ingram valley area. Lovely hot sunshine and a cacophony of bird song - magic!
Picked up Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, whitethroat, wren, yellowhammer, Nuthatch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, lots of Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Greylag, Grey Partridge, Pheasant (and a black (blue?) one), oystercatcher, blue and great tits, goldfinches and tree sparrows. Nowt outstanding or rare but a damn good day. Finished off with a pint in the Robin Hood on the way back where we saw a Heron sitting about 5 feet from the beer garden.
Took a few shots of various things but too embarrassed to put them on here - they were crap ;)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Quick visit of trow this morning, main bowl little owl showing well again today, only one seen here this time though. Few linnets and med pips, 2 blackbirds. Brief view of 2nd bay little owl so only managed record shots of this. Two grasshopper warblers reeling on the mound, 2 reed bunts, six linnets, sandmartins overhead and more med pipits. Half dozen or so housemartins flying about back in trow, little owl still showing well this time in the elder tree then onto the cliff face. Nice to bump into John there. Male sparrowhawk flew over on my way back to the car

Attached pictures:
2nd bay owl.jpg
main trowl.jpg
spughawk 2.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 am
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

What time were you down there Ian? Want to go on an 'owl hunt' myself :) Is there a best time in the evening also?
Love the shot of the Little Owl on the tree.
Cheers
Chris

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers Chris. I was down this morning about seven and left about half eight, the owl was still showing well then. Its probably best to go before the majority of the dog walkers get down or around half six on an evening when its getting quiet again. Seems to be more active and a bit more tolerant at these times

Scroll up

RE:North Gare

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:04 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a ride to Saltholme area this afternoon and bumped into one of the Teesmouth guys who i always have a natter with but i don't know his full name.. Anyway he told me about a rather tame Shorelark just beyond the fairway at the end of Seaton Common. So off i went thinking my chances would be pretty slim - but i managed to find the bird myself - bonus - and what a beauty it is...

Couple of pictures attached

Attached pictures:
DSC_7513-04-25-11_6696.jpg
DSC_7529-04-25-11_6712.jpg
DSC_7594-04-25-11_6777.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

RE: RE:North Gare

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Great photo's Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:32 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just got back from a walk down to the Leas and Trow with our lass to see if she could spot a little owl. Didn't hold out much hope when we got to the main bowl as a family was pitching a tent not far from its usual perch!! No sign of it so walked down to the second bay but no sign of this owl either. Not much luck on the mound either, no groppers reeling, in fact nothing seen or heard here at all. On our way back down to trow we spotted the kestrel hovering near the second bay but was quickly chased off by a herring gull. Made our way back to the main bowl and got good views of the kestrel perched on the cliff, as we started to walk away the kestrel flew down and landed literally 2 metres in front of us and had a tug of war with a large earth worm. Best views i've had and i've had some pretty good views over the last couple of months. Headed off for home but as we passed the elder tree Louise spotted the little owl fly from the cliff straight past us, so she was well chuffed.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:32 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
Great photo's Derek

Thanks Ian

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Usual walk along Don,Pair of Tufted Duck(P.N.R).Along Don Path,Chaffinch Long Tail Tit's,Bullfinch,Greenfinch,Kestrel,Blackcap,Garden Warbler. Whitethroat,Good variety of bird's on this small stretch of road.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:48 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Had a run down to Hardwick Hall this afternoon with the family. Chiffchaffs, Chaffinches, Song Thrushes, LBB Gulls, Herring Gulls, Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Mallards, Tufties, Moorhens, Coots (lots of Coots with several nests and young'uns) and a lovely Blueberry icecream! Has anyone ever noticed the amount of spent shotgun cartridges lying around here? Scenic route home via Hartlepool (Rossmere and Ward Jackson Parks). No sign of any Egrets or RN Parakeets, but a female Sparrowhawk doing the rounds so not surprised! Picked up a couple of large owl pellets in the woods at Hardwick, will soak and disassemble tomorrow with no1 son.

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: