RE: Nice one!

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

On a visit to the Whitburn CP today I heard my first Grasshopper Warb reeling but couldn't locate it, still its a start. Reed Bunts, Linnet, Grey Heron in the pond, also of note.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:15 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

2 Groppers reeling at the Academy pools not much else apart a pair of Partridges and a single Wheatear of note.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Got my first grass hopper warb today as well on the mound

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

A few shots of the grasshopper warbler reeling away on the mound today, probably best views i've had
Also four wheatear in the second bay

Attached pictures:
grasshopper warb.jpg
grass 2.jpg
grass 4.jpg

Last edited Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:49 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Thanks Ian, at the moment I hate you as I have been looking over the mound every day for the last couple of weeks expecting the Gropper to turn up. Couple with that great pics absolutely love the bird for its looks and song.

Back down in the morning for another look. Last year I think me and Steve counted 10 in one day from the mound to the top of the hedgerow.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers John, I think..... Aye its a cracking little bird, great to hear its unmistakable sound on the leas during the summer.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Originally posted by IanMc

I seen you this morning disappearing into the mist as I drove in and straight out of the approarch road to Trow after seeing the visability here. But like you have mentioned in another thread the Leas area was pretty clear. Wished I had given it a go now after seeing ya pic's... well done! Didn't get a sniff at the 2 at the academy today.

Mr Brown has had a Pied Flycatcher in the net this evening.....tired one which was processed and released quickly.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Had the dogs and kids down to Trow at 1pm today. Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Linnets and Reed Bunting in and around the mound.

Drove up to Waldridge Fell straight after that (minus the dogs). Had Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Robin and Wren. It was my first time up that way and I parked in the Tinkler Row car park and headed south towards the Nettlesworth Hill area, is that an OK part of the fell or are there better birding areas up there? I noticed the car parks on the other side of the road where all full on the way up there and picked that one because it was quiet.

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Swan's looking good for nesting at Primrose Nature Reserve,I spoke to a lady tonight who said she told 2 lad's off last night for throwing stone's at Swan's,Of course she got a mouthful of abuse.

Attached pictures:
100_4521.JPG

Last edited Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

I seen you this morning disappearing into the mist as I drove in and straight out of the approarch road to Trow after seeing the visability here.

Cheers Steve, It did feel like i was in the middle of a John Carpenter film as i headed into the fog. Glad i took the chance though. Must be the best views i've had, just hope it keeps showing like that

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Grasshopper warb showing well again today on the mound, even better than yesterday. Both little owls seen, main bowl owl was scratting about on the old knot weed again

Attached pictures:
grass 4.jpg
grass 3.jpg
grass.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:15 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Grasshopper warb showing well again today on the mound, even better than yesterday. Both little owls seen, main bowl owl was scratting about on the old knot weed again

Cracking photos Ian

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hate you more than yesterday Ian . Down again this morning spending a half hour around the mound and not a squark from the bird. I'm off to get my hearing checked.

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:45 pm

That mound Groppa certainly was putting on a great show Ian, great watching him reeling away and then dropping down and sneaking through the grass. We spotted another one on the other side of the mound after we left you this one wasn't singing just skulking through a bush maybe a female?.
3 RT Divers were together off shore...way out.
The 3 remaining Mallard ducklings are "hanging in there"in Marine park and the drake Manderin is also still present, asleep on the island on this visit. Single Blackcap and Chiffy of note in the treed area.

Attached pictures:
gropa (Small).JPG
gropa 3 (Small).JPG
3 ducklings (Small).JPG

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:14 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers brian.
Aye its a bit of a show off that groppa Steve, i hung on about five minutes after you left and it showed for me as well.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: