in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:07 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Thats a fine looking bunch of lads.

Scroll up

RE: Nice one!

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Zitat
Do you mean this bunch of "nothing better to do at first light" lads at the hut this morning John?

The very same Steve, "Last of the Summer Wine" meets "Men behaving badly".

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk along Marsden beach this morning and the place is alive with sand martins. Nice to see that they have made good use of the newly exposed cliff face next to the first aid hut.

Had a walk on Cleadon Hills late afternoon and saw my first swallows of 2011. Also still two wheatear present. Thought I heard my first whitethroat but couldn't find it to confirm.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

I had my first Whitethroat today Brian. After ringing duties were finished I popped over the Academy Pools on my way home. There were at least 7 Wheatears here, along with realing Gropper and said Whitethroat.

Last edited Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
Sounds like a nice walk Sid I bet the air was full of song along there. It was probably the same at the bird ringing hut at Whitburn only I couldn't hear anything above the noise of the group talking.

I see you know Jaymog our recent member.

John

Yes really enjoyed walk,nice & peaceful.I Introduced Jaymog to forum,He's my Big Favourite Uncle,( I;ve got to say that because he'll be reading this post).

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
Had a walk along Marsden beach this morning and the place is alive with sand martins. Nice to see that they have made good use of the newly exposed cliff face next to the first aid hut.

Had a walk on Cleadon Hills late afternoon and saw my first swallows of 2011. Also still two wheatear present. Thought I heard my first whitethroat but couldn't find it to confirm.

Brian

Sorry for the late reply Brian but yes all my shots are mainly taken with the 7D these days. Still a learning curve and will probable never use this camera to its full capability.
Hows the Cleadon hills looking for Yellowhammers this year so far?

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Sorry for the late reply Brian but yes all my shots are mainly taken with the 7D these days. Still a learning curve and will probable never use this camera to its full capability.
Hows the Cleadon hills looking for Yellowhammers this year so far?

I know what you mean about the 7D it has many features some of which you never get round to using. I am using auto ISO at the moment to see how that affects my photos. I noticed you bird in flight look very good have you slowed down the tracking speed? This much improves the quality as the focus lock stays with the bird rather than getting distracted by background and foreground.

There were about 6 - 10 yellowhammers on the hills at the last count although I haven't seen or heard any for a few days. Idiots burning the gorse won't have helped. Nice to hear the skylarks back although there aren't that many at present.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:16 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Saw my first whitethroat of the year today along the leas hedge, quite a few house sparrows here collecting nest material. Little owl near second bay. Loads of linnets on the mound, more house sparrows here too.

Attached pictures:
white throat 2.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I noticed the House Sparrows close to the mound this morning Ian something I don't see down there very often.

Sand Martin by the bucket loads skimming the ground, A few Reed Bunts on the Mound and Linnet were all I had today with just doing short walks with the pup.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:38 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
I noticed the House Sparrows close to the mound this morning Ian something I don't see down there very often.

Sand Martin by the bucket loads skimming the ground, A few Reed Bunts on the Mound and Linnet were all I had today with just doing short walks with the pup.

John

Aye there were quite a few sandmartin chasing each other about down there. Its a funny one with the house sparrows, they seem to turn up now and again and then disappear for a month or so

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Common Whitethroat this morning in old Marsden quarry(beside Lizard lane) also a pair of grey Partridges, Wheatear on the scraped area to the west. Lesser Whitethroat behind the Obs along with Chiff,Willow warb and Blackcap.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

some cracking activity over the last couple of days,some nice photos aswell,

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Walked through the riverside park from Hebburn to Bill Quay and back this afternoon with 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow. In all the chaos of getting everyone sorted and into the car I forgot to put a memory card back into the camera, which pleased me no end when we got there and I switched the camera on! Wasn't expecting to see much with the noise but Chiffchaffs, Robins, Blue, Great and LT tits, Blackbirds, Woodpigeon and Magpies all put in an appearance (must have realised the camera was in the car!) Solitary LBB gull at the car when we returned.

River Don behind St Pauls next with just 3x male Eiders kicking about, but it was very busy down there with the school hols.

Boldon Flats after getting diesel at Asda. Kestrel, pair Tufties, Moorhens, Coots, Grey Herons, Lapwings, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese (right at back of field but looked too big to be Pinkies) and my first Swallows of the year.

Got back home and opened the camera to replace the memory card when I realised it has dual memory card slots and I did have a card in after all (the switch just needed flicking over) so that really made my day! Never mind, there's always tomorrow.....

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Popped to Jarrow Cem about 6-30 tonight,2 Male Woodpecker's chasing each other,Down on boardwalk near P.N.R. 2 Chiff Chaff ,Chaffinch,lot's of Wood Pigeon's In this area,fleeting glimpse of bird flew over, looked like House Martin.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

my mates mam and dad are over from ireland this week,they wanted to see a little owl,so i took them to marsden quarry,and there was one there,they were well happy,

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: