Nice one!

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Cheers to Ian for the tip off about the Drake Manderin always a nice sight to see on any local bit of water. It passed the sliced white test but still acted a little wary plus it is un-ringed. I was talking to the park rangers whilst watching it this morning and they had noticed it here yesterday but were not 100% sure on its ID.
So is it the Drake from Sunderland seen at Morbery park or Silksworth ? or one of the one's seen in Jarrow and Boldon about the same time last year?

Small numbers of Wheatears around the pier and Trow, over 30 Carrion crows near the pier was a strange one! and a few Sandwich terns further out. Just about the same as Ian in Marine park

Attached pictures:
man2 (Small).JPG
man (Small).JPG
chiff (Small).JPG
ful (Small).JPG
med pip (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: Nice one!

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

the mowbray park bird was quite green on the forehead and nape steve could it have changed during moult

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:12 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Couldn't resist popping in to the marine park again this morning for the mandarin. It came straight over when i through some bread in, only for about five minute and then went back onto the island. Still worth calling in.
Had a look round trow this afternoon, little owl in the main bowl was on the short grass in front of its tree and flew up onto the cliff as i approached and gave good views. The other little owl showed briefly opposite the second bay. No wheatears seen today but plenty of linnets. Main bowl little owl was sitting on the ground again amongst the dead knott weed on my way back, pied wagtail at mangos car park

Attached pictures:
mandarin.jpg
mandarin 2.jpg
herring.jpg
poch.jpg
mallard duck.jpg
little.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:57 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Walked along Don today,Long Tail Tit's,Blue Tit's,Chaffinch,Chiff Chaff,1 Blackcap.Pair of Tufted Duck In pond alongside Metro line.Tunnel Road.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Nice to hear of a Pochard present Ian along with the Mandarin on Marine park, not seen a Pochard here for a couple of weeks. But my visits have been a little later in the day so they might have departed the lake before hand. During the winter months I did notice the Tufties and Pochards here did seem to have a pattern regards daily routines. Most of them often headed off for a fly about in the direction of Tynemouth before noon.

Had a wander around Cleadon hills and the Academy about 12ish today and didn't see a great deal...few Chiffs and calling Yellowhammers of note. Its a while since Ive visited the hills and was well cheesed off by the extent of fire damage to the Gorse to the east of the water tower.
Watching about 30 Sand martins around the Academy pools was the only time my camera got used on this visit.
And a male Pied wagtail acted strangely when I left the parking area for the Academy, he was flying around the car and I thought he was going to land on it a few times! It wasn't until I got home and noticed bird crap all over the wing mirror and side window that the penny dropped about his behaviour. He's must have been having a right "ding dong" with his own reflection in the car's wing mirrow!

Kevin Ball was out again with the youth teams at the Academy.

Attached pictures:
IMG_4719 (Small).JPG
IMG_4740 (Small).JPG
IMG_4763 (Small).JPG

Last edited Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Had a wander around Cleadon hills and the Academy about 12ish today and didn't see a great deal...few Chiffs and calling Yellowhammers of note. Its a while since Ive visited the hills and was well cheesed off by the extent of fire damage to the Gorse to the east of the water tower.

Kevin Ball was out again with the youth teams at the Academy.

Steve,

The fire damage has been going on throughout the winter but you can never catch the culprits. One night we passed a 'courting couple' as we walked our dogs and when we got past them they set fire to the gorse East of the mill. Another night there were at least four seperate fires in different parts of the hills. It amazed me how they got the gorse to burn then one of the dogs picked up and empty can of lighter fuel .

The police aren't interested, it's onlly gorse and grass, but it worries me what the arsonists will turn their hands to next.

Nice to see Kevin Ball putting his arm around the shoulder of one of your new signings, it answers the question why all of your players seem to have heavy legs

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Temple park was alive this morning with bird song especially from male warblers. Had to be at least- 7 Chiffchaffs, 6 Willow warbs, 6 Blackcaps and a single Grasshopper warb reeling near the fire station. And I didn't cover the full site!

Last edited Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 pm | Scroll up

RE:pier

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Walked up the pier at dinnertime. Not many waders about, pair of turnstone and 3 purple sandpiper were all i saw. Four sandwich turns were fishing in the harbour, couple of cormorants and 3 eider. No sign of any wheatears again today. A dozen linnets in the pier carpark, also my first songthrush for a while, pair of woodpigeon, pair of dunnock and 3 blackbirds, and a swallow flew over.

Attached pictures:
purple.jpg
sandwich.jpg
linn.jpg
linnet.jpg
songthrush.jpg
woody 2.jpg
dunnocks 2.jpg

Last edited Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:48 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:21 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Temple park was alive this morning with bird song especially from male warblers. Had to be at least- 7 Chiffchaffs, 6 Willow warbs, 6 Blackcaps and a single Grasshopper warb reeling near the fire station. And I didn't cover the full site!

Aye, it's a great little site that not many people bother with Steve. Haven't been over that way since we moved almost 5 years ago, but that little stagnant pool just next to the houses used to be alive with Reed Buntings (if it's still there?) I'm surprised it wasn't quiet with all the work going on there at the minute?

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Watching about 30 Sand martins around the Academy pools was the only time my camera got used on this visit.

Aye and well worth it - great Sand Martin pics Steve

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Lovely set of pictures Ian - really like the Linnet in the tree

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Thanks Derek, its alot easier when the sun comes out.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Had a walk round trow and the leas this afternoon, not much about in the main bowl as the tactor was out cutting the grass. Half dozen linnet on the mound and 2 reed bunts. Usual numbers of med pips and sky lark on the leas. Sandmartin flew over. Two wheatear on north end of hedge, pair reed bunting half way along. Walked back to trow along the coastal path, As i was approaching boaties bay a racing pigeon landed on the path looking knackered. Got down on my honkas to take a pic and it came straight over and stood between my feet. Managed to move it to the cliff edge away from the path, just hope a dog didn't nab it

Attached pictures:
geordie racer.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Originally posted by Rob Adair

Aye, it's a great little site that not many people bother with Steve. Haven't been over that way since we moved almost 5 years ago, but that little stagnant pool just next to the houses used to be alive with Reed Buntings (if it's still there?) I'm surprised it wasn't quiet with all the work going on there at the minute?

Didn't even know about that pond Rob! I don't visit the site often myself and the only pond area and ditches etc. I know of are the ones behind the fire station to almost the leisure centre areas. And you are not wrong about it being a great site but it is very under reported.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Originally posted by degsy_safc

Aye and well worth it - great Sand Martin pics Steve

Cheers Derek, about time I got some half decent fast bird shots...a bit better light would have been nice. I'll be back !

Last edited Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: