RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:04 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Pete
steve that is an amazing shot of the reed bunting, absolutely love it!

was sorry to miss the social but had one on with work.

look forward to the next one.

Cheers Pete, I would have prefered to show the full bird, but as normal trigs etc. in the way! This is the full frame shot uncropped and hardly touched up, shows how close I was in the field to the bird.

Attached pictures:
uncropped (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:21 pm

After the Whitburn CP this morn. dragged Jan out down to Station burn- 2 of the small ponds held Frogspawn one of which had small tadpoles hatched. Chiffy heard as soon as we opened the "skip" doors. In total 3 heard along this stretch of the Don and in one certain area 2 singing birds had a right "Ding dong" !...Also witnessed a Chiffy feeding on rocks in the stream here.
But best of all was hearing 3 male Bullfinch calling from different areas of the burn, a real rare bird going back 30 years ago here.!
Also another rarity here in the form of a Willow tit.

Drake Pintail still on the Flats.....seems to like the new pond.

ps...I think my avatar might need changed.

Last edited Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Out and about in South Tyneside today with some very mixed weather but good to hear bird song all day. Didn't see any chuffing Wheatears though.

Attached pictures:
P1060453(1).JPG
P1060486(2).jpg
P1060428(1).JPG
P1060491(1)(1).JPG
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Quick visit of trow this afternoon, single wheatear opp mangos near trow point, couple of cormorants in second bay, both little owls were sitting within ten feet of each other by the tarmac path,second time in a week i've seen them together, couple of reed bunts on the mound and plenty skylarks and med pips flying about.

Attached pictures:
cormorants.jpg
corm.jpg
wheat.jpg
trowl.jpg
skylark.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
single wheatear opp mangos near trow point,

Ok Ok Rub it in and I've still not seen the Owls in Trow.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm
by Mickys | 70 Posts

Was at Gibside yesterday. Had a proper mixed day. The kites were fantastic - however one with nesting material perched around 10 metres away but by the time I tried to get a photo it was away. A Green Woodpecker which I still haven't seen - but could hear nearby most of the time. On the plus side buzzards, dippers, plenty of GSW's and the usual finches. Also seen my first swallow of the year Saturday morning.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Sorry mate,. I've only seen both owls together once before, they're usually at either end of trow

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Couple of trips to trow today, 2 wheatear by mangos this morning, lots of linnet and meadow pipits around main bowl, 3 cormorants in the second bay and a heron which was quickly chased off by the jackdaws and gulls. Few more linnets on the mound and pair of reed bunting. Two more reed bunts along the hedge and plenty meadwow pipits and skylark. Bumped into Steve Egg on way back to trow and saw my first swallow of the year whilst talking to him. This afternoon did pretty much the same route but came back along the coastal path rather than the hedge, 12 sand martins at marsden bay at least, couple of rock pipits near boaty's bay, 4 wheatear at the point, and tree pipit in the main bowl.

Attached pictures:
heron.jpg
rock pipit.jpg
skylark.jpg
wheatear.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Shortly before me and Max met Ian at the top of Frenchmens I had a encounter around the mound that at first I was baffled with! Whilst viewing from the mound a blue flash caught my attention and half a dozen Med pips chased along with a couple of Reed buntings after the bird. It dropped quickly and the following birds all dropped as well making a bit of a fuse. It wasn't until the bird took flight again that the penny dropped....Budgie!.
Dispite a couple of attempts at trying to capture him he flew up to a gorse bush on the mound. I then tried here also to grab him..on a couple of occassions he was on my finger but quickly hopped off deeper into the gorse bush. Eventually I lost sight of him as he went out the other side of the bush and disappeared. Shame as it will be certain death for him unless captured.

Attached pictures:
IMG_4107 (Small).JPG
IMG_4154 (Small).JPG

Last edited Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Steve

Are you putting the budgie on the ST Gallery for 2011

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally posted by johnsulli
Hi Steve

Are you putting the budgie on the ST Gallery for 2011

I think you know the answer to that one.....ticked as a released bird for the ST list..

Last edited Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

hey steve,a ticks a tick

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
Quick visit of trow this afternoon, single wheatear opp mangos near trow point, couple of cormorants in second bay, both little owls were sitting within ten feet of each other by the tarmac path,second time in a week i've seen them together, couple of reed bunts on the mound and plenty skylarks and med pips flying about.

Imm. Shag it is Ian. nice one.

Last edited Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:02 pm

There was a female Ring Ouzel this morning along the side of the pier, I only manged a few shots before it flew off and we could not refind otherwise I would have put the word out. Also a male Wheatear, pair of Linnets and about 3 pairs of Med. pips.
Chiffy in Marine park.
Had a half hour sitting above Marsden bay later on trying for Sand Martin shots....yip its silly season again!

Had to really lighten the second shot of the Ouzel to show the breast properly.

Attached pictures:
IMG_4255 (Small).JPG
IMG_4279 (Small).JPG
IMG_4286 (Small).JPG
IMG_4302 (Small).JPG
IMG_4393 (Small).JPG

Last edited Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,

I've been out of the birding ‘loop’ somewhat in recent months due to other commitments, so I just had to let the birds come to me instead. I’ve had a few garden surprises in the shape of Reed Bunting, Blackcap (f) & Chiffchaff. Unfortunately, my camera wasn’t always to hand, but I was quick to set it up when this little beauty dropped in – a ‘lightish’ Lesser Redpoll – let the great Redpoll debate start!
Other noteworthy sightings were 21 Waxwings on Bamburgh Ave, Saturday 12th March (good find, Steve), a coastal Peregrine last Thursday – nice! …….and a Chiffy in JB’s nets at Whitburn CP over the weekend.
Cheers, Dougie.

Attached pictures:
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: