RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Leas and trow this afternoon, Kestrel showing well around the main bowl catching worms, few meadow pipits there and also 8 blackbirds and the pair of magpie and woodpigeon. Flushed a grey partridge on the mound, first one i've seen there for months, dozen more meadow pipits and 4 reed buntings. Six skylarks seen along the leas and a few more meadsow pipits. Couple of pied wagtails flew over along the hedge.

Attached pictures:
kestrel.jpg
kestrel 2.jpg
kestrel 3.jpg
blackbird.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Had another run up to BF today for the Pintail and at last a result although it was at a distance with the water receding.
Also there was a Mute Swan, still plenty of Wigeon, a few Teal, Curlew, Lapwing, Moorhen,GBB Gull.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

I saw a strange one yesterday as I approached my garden pond a robin flew up from the water. I stood back and watched and the robin came back down and was walking on the dead reeds lying on the top of my pond. Not sure what it was after but I am feeding wheatgerm pellets to the fish at the moment and thought that it might be them it was after.

Dodgy pastime for bird that cannot swim

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm
by Mickys | 70 Posts

Hi
As mentioned new to the forum and have just taken bird watching back up.
Was at Trow yesterday watching the little owl. There was a small bird on the post at Mango's. Got a pic of it but not really sure what it is. Don't think its anything startling but would like to know what it is. Thought it was a type of finch (female) by the shape but not really sure. Please see pic and the shot of the little owl

Attached pictures:
Lumix March 2011 033.jpg
Lumix March 2011 014.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by Mickys
Hi
As mentioned new to the forum and have just taken bird watching back up.
Was at Trow yesterday watching the little owl. There was a small bird on the post at Mango's. Got a pic of it but not really sure what it is. Don't think its anything startling but would like to know what it is. Thought it was a type of finch (female) by the shape but not really sure. Please see pic and the shot of the little owl

Hi Mickys your small bird is a meadow pipit they are getting reasonbly numerous this time of year-plenty on the leas. Well done with the trow Little Owl I've never yet managed to see either of them on my trips to Trow. The picture has come up Massive I'm not sure how you uploaded it. I'm sure John or one of the other chaps will explain what has happened Oh and welcome to the best and friendliest forum around.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Last edited Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc

Ian

As always a man of few words

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Dan

Ian

There wasn't much about mate
I'd actually replied to the previous post but you beat me to to it and was unable to delete it completely

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Dan

Ian

There wasn't much about mate
I'd actually replied to the previous post but you beat me to to it and was unable to delete it completely

Aye Ian It's been a quiet time but the Chiffy's are starting to arrive in their droves, Sand Martins are getting around, the first few Blackcaps/Willow Warblers have been seen- get ready for the avalanche

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:06 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Walk round trow and the leas, couple of wheatear flying between first and second bay, 6 turnstone sitting on the path, 6 oyster catcher and single curlew in the second bay. Couple of reed bunting on the mound. Lots of sky lark and meadow pipit along the leas, and the curlew from trow landed near the hedge. Half dozen more meadow pipits on trow point on my way back and little owl in main bowl. Few record shots on a pretty gloomy day

Attached pictures:
wheatear.jpg
turnstone.jpg
curlew 2.jpg
meadow.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:49 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Pretty miserable down trow this afternoon, little showed briefly in the main bowl. Six turnstone on the path by the second bay. Skylarks and meadow pips along the leas. kestrel sitting in the rain in the main bowl on my way back to the car

Attached pictures:
kestrel.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a trip to Saltholme and surrounding area myself today. Started at North Gare & ZW Road and was disappointed to see absolutely nothing but very distant gulls

Dropped into Saltholme and decided to head straight to Wildlife Watchpoint and stay put due to weather; Nothing out of the ordinary, Pochard, Gadwall, Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting, Mallards, BH Gulls, Teal Coot Blue Tits & Great Tits. Due to lack of birds in general i decided to try and photograph in flight shots at the feeding station...

Pre focussed on the feeder swinging in the wind and every time something flew in i clicked the shutter - was disappointed that i didn't get all of the wing in the frame of the Greenfinches scrapping - better luck next time...

Attached pictures:
DSC_5253-03-31-11_4625-1.jpg
DSC_5291-03-31-11_4633.jpg
DSC_5353-03-31-11_4635.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Derek
That's a cracking Goldfinch shot and a pity about the Greenfinch squabble as it would have been nice to get the whole of the birds in.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli
That's a cracking Goldfinch shot and a pity about the Greenfinch squabble as it would have been nice to get the whole of the birds in.

Hi John - thanks & yep you are dead right about the squabble - there was plenty of room to get them in, its just that i was prefocussed on a spot and kept the camera still.. Was at iso 3200 to get enough shutter speed to freeze the action

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Great shots as always Derek.

Had a quick walk round trow this afternoon, unbelievably windy. Not much seen apart from single wheatear in the second bay. Few skylarks and meadow pipits on the mound

Last edited Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: