RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Had a walk round trow and the leas this afternoon after work. Half dozen linnets in the shrubs next to mangoes and a couple of med pipits. Kestrel in the main bowl and two woodpigeon, usual pair of magpie. Few more meadow pips on the mound, skylark near frenchmans. Gold crest on the hedge and four more skylark over head. Also quite a few small tortoiseshell butterflies about down there today.

Attached pictures:
med.jpg
goldcrest.jpg
tort.jpg

Last edited Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:26 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:44 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by keithmc
feel a bit daft putting this on here as not sure how many will beleive, just seen 5 crossbill fly north over the house about 30 foot up defo crossbill

Hi Keith
I was talking to a birder from Jarrow and I wes telling him about the Crossbills you saw over your house and apparently he has seen the in the area in the past and there is a small flock in the Rising Sun Country Park over in Wallsend so they aren't far off.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Decided to take a few days off as I had some day to use up before the end of March and couldn't have picked a nicer week weather wise. I fancied a days fishing so went off to some ponds beside Frankland Prison. It is often said that anglers do more bird watching that bird watchers so it was an ideal day to combine the two.

The fishing was crap but the birding was excellent. Pair of Canada geese on the water along with a pair of mute swans, and numerous coot and moorhen. Heard my first chiffchaff of the year but it stayed well hidden. Also heard a curlew but never saw it. Loads of other stuff, grey heron, mallard, long tailed tits, reed bunting, blue and great tit, etc. The ponds were alive with frogs!! Loads of insects starting to emerge and a huge drone bumble bee was flying close by.

I heard something move in the alders beside me and noticed a robin before I knew it the robin was at my feet helping itself to the maggots in my bait box. Great to see but no camera!!

One of those days when being outdoors is an absolute pleasure.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

A few shots from this week mainly all from the Teesdale/Weardale outing last Friday, which I hope to be repeating again in the near future..anyone else fancy it?On the next visit hopefully looking for Goshawk also.(our lass and Max where with me last Friday enough said!). And hopefully the Dippers will show better at a known site next time, they only showed briefly on last Fridays visit.
Kes from Trow the other day.

Attached pictures:
amed.blackcock (Small).JPG
dipper (Small).JPG
hen red (Small).JPG
lap (Small).JPG
trow kes (Small).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
Decided to take a few days off as I had some day to use up before the end of March and couldn't have picked a nicer week weather wise. I fancied a days fishing so went off to some ponds beside Frankland Prison. It is often said that anglers do more bird watching that bird watchers so it was an ideal day to combine the two.

The fishing was crap but the birding was excellent. Pair of Canada geese on the water along with a pair of mute swans, and numerous coot and moorhen. Heard my first chiffchaff of the year but it stayed well hidden. Also heard a curlew but never saw it. Loads of other stuff, grey heron, mallard, long tailed tits, reed bunting, blue and great tit, etc. The ponds were alive with frogs!! Loads of insects starting to emerge and a huge drone bumble bee was flying close by.

I heard something move in the alders beside me and noticed a robin before I knew it the robin was at my feet helping itself to the maggots in my bait box. Great to see but no camera!!

One of those days when being outdoors is an absolute pleasure.

Brian

Sounds like a nice relaxing break Brian....pack the camera next time.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:45 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone
A few shots from this week mainly all from the Teesdale/Weardale outing last Friday, which I hope to be repeating again in the near future..anyone else fancy it?On the next visit hopefully looking for Goshawk also.(our lass and Max where with me last Friday enough said!). And hopefully the Dippers will show better at a known site next time, they only showed briefly on last Fridays visit.

Definitely, I love it over there.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:05 am
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Definitely, I love it over there.

And count me in I'll even volunteer to drive!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Put me down as a yes Steve. (or just put me down)

Last edited Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:06 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just saw my first sand martin of the year at marsden bay as i reached the end of the leas hedge, not sure when i saw my first last year.. The kestrel was sitting on a post at the other end of the hadge, got to within a few meters of it but the sun had hidden behind the clouds so didnt get as good a shot as i'd have liked. Quite a few skylarks now, counted 18 and 20 meadow pipits. Single reed bunting on the mound and 4 linnets. Couple of immature common gulls in the main bowl.

Attached pictures:
kes.jpg
skylark 2.jpg
femlin.jpg
Scroll up

by IanMc | 343 Posts

Just saw my first sand martin of the year at marsden bay as i reached the end of the leas hedge, not sure when i saw my first last year.. The kestrel was sitting on a post at the other end of the hadge, got to within a few meters of it but the sun had hidden behind the clouds so didnt get as good a shot as i'd have liked. Quite a few skylarks now, counted 18 and 20 meadow pipits. Single reed bunting on the mound and 4 linnets. Couple of immature common gulls in the main bowl.

Scroll up

by IanMc | 343 Posts

Last edited Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm | Scroll up

RE: .

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Ian
I checked Marsden Bay this morning at around 09:00 hrs and nothing then so I guess they are arriving now and the Leas I could only count upto 6-8 Skylark.
That's a good spot for the Kestrel I often see it perched on the post and pass within a couple of metres of it.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:35 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Its the first time i've seen the kestrel on that post, i remember you posting you'd seen it there. The sand martin was flying back and forth along the cliff top from the hedge to the life guard hut for about five minutes then headed of across the leas toward Norfolk road.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Ian

The earliest I have seen Sandmartin down at Marsden was 2009 0n the 06th April so along with the Wheatear which was a week or two early I am hoping other species will arrive early as well.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Hopefully John, its alot more interesting around trow and the leas than it was a few weeks ago when there wasn't much about down there. Might get a few returning migrants passing through. I remember seeing a tree pipit on the 1st april last year in the main bowl and a couple of willow warbs on the 3rd.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: