RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:19 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli

Originally posted by IanMc
I was looking at my photo's from last year and i saw my first wheatear on the 22nd so probably right John,

Steve Eggs I seem to recall saw one on the 21st last year and the year before I noted mine on the 21st also, but this mornings was only a flash of white on the rear going away and only for a second did I see it before it dissapeared but I know you get down there regularly and maybe confirm it.

Regards

John

Last year John my first Wheatear was on the 22nd the year before was the 21st. every chance of the bird being a Wheatear this morning John as a few have already been sighted in the NE.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Four skylark on the leas near frenchmans this afternoon and a couple of meadow pipits on the mound. Little owl next to the second bay, kestrel on trow point again and single wheatear in the first bay which flew off before i could get a decent pic

Attached pictures:
kestrel.jpg
wheat.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Glad to see you got the Wheatear Ian, I took a look again this morning but couldn't locate it but kind of thought/hoped you would be down there sometime today for it.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

I haven't been down the last couple of days John, with the weather being so crap. Well spotted yesterday, it was actually the 23rd last year when i saw my first so a week early for me. Kestrel showed well again but the light started to go by then and was starting to rain a bit unfortunately.

Last edited Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:41 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Smashing shot of the Kestrel Ian and could go on the 2011 Gallery Pics.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Male Sparrowhawk in the garden at 18:00 hrs tonight so too dark for a photo.

Usually its the female that is usually around so nice to have the male make a visit.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Cracking Kes Ian - great picture

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:56 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Trow first light, dozen linnets along side Mangoes carpark in the thickets and two meadow pips. Little owl in main bowl, pair of wood pigeon and pair of magpies. Other little owl showed near second bay. Mound was full of life this morning, four reed buntings, dozen meadow pipits, at least 20 linnets and blackbird. Couple sky lark northof the mound, couple carrion crows and a pair of meadow pipits performing courtship on the rail.

Attached pictures:
name rock.jpg
reed bunting.jpg
linnet.jpg
meadow pip.jpg
carrion.jpg
med pips.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:54 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Trow first light, dozen linnets along side Mangoes carpark in the thickets and two meadow pips. Little owl in main bowl, pair of wood pigeon and pair of magpies. Other little owl showed near second bay. Mound was full of life this morning, four reed buntings, dozen meadow pipits, at least 20 linnets and blackbird. Couple sky lark northof the mound, couple carrion crows and a pair of meadow pipits performing courtship on the rail.

Great photos again Ian, that pair of meadow pipits look like they are doing synchronised goose stepping

Do you think they might be German?

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

It did look a bit like the ministry of funny walks, cheers Brian

Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 pm
by Mick Reavey | 36 Posts

Got my first Chiffchaff of the year today, at Shibdon in Gateshead! Hearing that call for the first time really is a magical experience!!!! Spring is almost upon us!!! Willow wobs, Sedgies and Groppers to look forward to in the next few weeks!!

Well done to the salty rescue squad!!!!!!! you know who you are!!!!

Adveho glorificus dies

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Originally posted by Mick Reavey
Got my first Chiffchaff of the year today, at Shibdon in Gateshead! Hearing that call for the first time really is a magical experience!!!! Spring is almost upon us!!! Willow wobs, Sedgies and Groppers to look forward to in the next few weeks!!

Well done to the salty rescue squad!!!!!!! you know who you are!!!!

Nice one Mick! not only on getting ya first Chiffy of the year but also the comment about "The Salty rescue squard" Well done lads!!

Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

So this where all my seed is going!!!

Attached pictures:
DPP_4152.JPG

Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Some really nice shots there Ian, love the lighting behind them. Keep them scenes of ST coming mate..

Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: