RE: Bird Sightings

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 pm
by DCJ | 64 Posts

I saw that bird yesterday next to the road Rob, I think its just an immature common gull, I did take a foto of a similar one last year thinking what you were thinking showed it to a birder, after laughing he said it was indeed a young common gull!!
I will see if I can get close enough tomorrow for a foto, it is a very dark ring like you say tho.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Quote: DCJ wrote in post #2311
I saw that bird yesterday next to the road Rob, I think its just an immature common gull, I did take a foto of a similar one last year thinking what you were thinking showed it to a birder, after laughing he said it was indeed a young common gull!!
I will see if I can get close enough tomorrow for a foto, it is a very dark ring like you say tho.

Thanks for the confirmation, would've been a great Christmas pressie though! Did you see any of those dark mantled Herring Gulls over there as well? They looked like they'd swallowed doughnuts with that ring of 'fat' at the base of their necks!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:10 am
by DCJ | 64 Posts

I was there yesterday Rob, I saw two as I got out of the car plus the usual waders etc. It must be all the worms coming to the surface because of the rain that they are getting fat on.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Just had a Fieldfare on the grass outside of Jennings on Newcastle Road

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Strange to find a dead cormorant on the north side of the mound as you come off it. Bit of blood coming out of its mouth but no other injury to it.

Not often you find cormorant on the leas.

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

2 waxwing on saville street next to library car park

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:37 pm
by DCJ | 64 Posts

Stiff breeze on the leas this morning, 4 Snow Bunts at frenchmans, ringed plover flying north to sandhaven and the usual stuff on the leas.

Attached pictures:
DCJ-Snow-Bunting-9301.jpg
DCJ-Snow-Bunting-9346.jpg
DCJ-Hooly-9275.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 pm
by pwduncan | 49 Posts

That first picture of the Snow bunting is an absolute beauty Dave, lovely lighting. I was at the Leas also, but it was too windy for my kids. Shame, wanted to try out my new lens. Maybe tomorrow.

Paul.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Nice shots Davy, how the hell did you manage to stand still in that wind to hand- hold.! Nice to see you this morning.

Counted 85 Oystercatchers along the northern stretch of the Leas feeding with about 60+ Turnstones and numerous gulls ( no Med. gulls picked up) on this visit this morning.

Nice one on the way home with a Grey Wagtail seen behind the Snooker centre on Chichester road....almost a garden tick but not quite.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:59 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Had a couple of hours at Clara Vale today, plenty of the usual stuff there, as well as one of the Kingfishers but it stayed on the large pond today..

Couple of pics..

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Great Shot's Derek....

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:43 am
by DCJ | 64 Posts

Quote: pwduncan wrote in post #2318
That first picture of the Snow bunting is an absolute beauty Dave, lovely lighting. I was at the Leas also, but it was too windy for my kids. Shame, wanted to try out my new lens. Maybe tomorrow.

Paul.

Have you bought a 600 Paul? I don't think it will fit in the boot of your trabant mind.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:51 am
by DCJ | 64 Posts

how the hell did you manage to stand still in that wind to hand- hold.!

Just about, I did get blown over and couldn't get back up so made on I was shooting summat at ground level, didn't stop the two women pointing and laughing.

Liking the new pup Steve.

http://djohnson.org/

Last edited Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:54 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 am
by pwduncan | 49 Posts

Dave, yeah I got the 600. Almost had to sell the Audi to pay for it though! Hopefully it will get some use today. Hand holding it is gonna be a new skill to be acquired.

Paul.

Last edited Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:58 am
by Ray-S | 207 Posts

Nice gull in image 3 Dave .

Ray

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: