RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:20 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Nice one Steve the list is growing for the birds attracted to the feed station, who knows what will turn up next.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:44 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Hi Steve,

I was up at the cem at 6:30am this morning taking a few photos for a blog I'm going to start. I was behind the feeding area taking a photo of some fungi on the dead ash tree when 3 coal tits dropped into the branches directly above my head and started squabbling, a first for me there so I was well chuffed.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:23 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

If anyones interested, I've just spent a good chunk of time today compiling a blog which I will keep updated with any happenings/sightings at the Westoe cem feeders as well as other general birding, wildlife, conservation issues in the area and probably a smattering of me wittering on about whatever. As its hopefully the first of many I'd welcome any constructive criticism or feedback on the layout and content.

Here's the link:

http://snackdahl.blogspot.com/

Last edited Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:56 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Approximately 150 pink feet in three skeins heading north over south tyneside hospital today at 1.00 pm

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:54 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Had a walk along Don road this afternoon,few teal, 3 cygnet's,redshank plus one lonely Oystercatcher.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

30 Waxwings seen yesterday on Dean road(reliable source) and 30 seen today in Roker park before flying north(Laurence)

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

As Steve reported I got off the bus at 9.45 this morning at Roker park and I heard a familiar trilling,30 Waxwings in the trees off Sidecliff Road,I took some record shots with my little Kodak and they flew off north................Laurence :)

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Been on holiday for most of this week - spent a couple of days in Edinburgh doing the touristy things. Got out today with my good mate Michael_A. Tried Saltholme first thing - but was disappointed with little amount of birds present. Good to bump into JBee & Ray (Scuzz) - especially nice to see Ray out and about after his recent illness

Decided to visit The Stang in the hope of Crossbills, managed to find a couple of pairs very quickly, but poor light prevented anything decent in the photograph department.. Will have to try another visit when the weather gets a bit brighter...

Best shot of the day;

Attached pictures:
DSC_6723-03-04-11_1896.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Trip over the moors today in the hope of Black Grouse and possibly some better light for better views of the Crossbills. No light i'm afraid but canny views of the Black Grouse.

Attached pictures:
DSC_3657-03-05-11_2468.jpg

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

First visit to Cresswell today (thanks Derek for the directions) Highlights were 43 Whoopers coming in to land and my first Bittern (well it's head actually) Then toodled down to Thornley with the usual mixture including the tree creeper that feeds off the ground. but also my first sighting of the deer there as well as two Red Kites - always a pleasure to see. Quick pop into Lamsley had 30 Curlew along with the mass of teal and 7 Pied wagtails. Highlight here as getting two Lesser Black Backed gulls in the same shot as "The Lamsley Buzzzard" although again only a record shot as they were to far away in the gloom to get anything decent with my toy camera. All in all a good day of firsts.

Attached pictures:
P1050504(1).jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Sounds like you had a great day Paul. Me, on the other hand, up at the crack of dawn to top up the cem feeders, then shopping, dogs down to the beach, daughter to dancing and then sat down with a can at 2:15pm to watch the rugby. What rugby you may ask? Yeah I forgot its not back on until next week, gutted would be an understatement. Spent the rest of the day helping the wife clean and phoning around for prices for plywood to build a whelping box for our Labrador. On the plus side I had Starling, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon and Crow in the backyard on the feeders woo hoo!!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Paul Dan
First visit to Cresswell today (thanks Derek for the directions) Highlights were 43 Whoopers coming in to land and my first Bittern (well it's head actually)

Hi Paul,
Glad you found the place OK - nice result seeing the Bittern, it has been seen quite often recently, it sometimes puts in a fly-past and i was told it has also landed right in front of the hide on a couple of occasions - but i'm not that lucky to see it that close

Originally posted by Paul Dan
Then toodled down to Thornley with the usual mixture including the tree creeper that feeds off the ground. but also my first sighting of the deer there as well as two Red Kites - always a pleasure to see. Quick pop into Lamsley had 30 Curlew along with the mass of teal and 7 Pied wagtails. Highlight here as getting two Lesser Black Backed gulls in the same shot as "The Lamsley Buzzzard" although again only a record shot as they were to far away in the gloom to get anything decent with my toy camera. All in all a good day of firsts.

Aye seems like you had a really good day - well done getting the Gulls and the Buzzard in the same picture

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:19 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Sounds like you had a great day Paul. Me, on the other hand, up at the crack of dawn to top up the cem feeders, then shopping, dogs down to the beach, daughter to dancing and then sat down with a can at 2:15pm to watch the rugby. What rugby you may ask? Yeah I forgot its not back on until next week, gutted would be an understatement. Spent the rest of the day helping the wife clean and phoning around for prices for plywood to build a whelping box for our Labrador. On the plus side I had Starling, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon and Crow in the backyard on the feeders woo hoo!!

Rob

Sounds like my normal days, isn't it great when you can get away even for a little while and enjoy what nature is available. Well done with the Cem Feeders though you've contributed more back to wildlife than me today. I've been enjoying the work others have put in I always appreciate that.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:21 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by degsy_safc
[quote="Paul Dan"]First visit to Cresswell today (thanks Derek for the directions) Highlights were 43 Whoopers coming in to land and my first Bittern (well it's head actually)

Hi Paul,
Glad you found the place OK - nice result seeing the Bittern, it has been seen quite often recently, it sometimes puts in a fly-past and i was told it has also landed right in front of the hide on a couple of occasions - but i'm not that lucky to see it that close

Derek i liked the look of the area I'll be making more vists there. The people in the hide were really nice and helpfull but they don't half talk funny.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Will give you a shout Paul the next time I spend a full day up Northumberland to show you more sites if you fancy?....Linton ponds, Duridge ponds,East Chevington, Woodhorn flashes, Bothal pond,Beehive flash, Wansbeck sites etc. Always normally a great day across the Tyne's boundary.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: