RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:26 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Pallas Groper been found at Marsden Old Quarry,just been told off some guy when passing.
Off on other business so could not stop for a geek,hope it hangs around,plenty cars parked outside so word must jhave been put out.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Mini fall of birds in trow this morning, 4 redwing, 5 blackbird, dunnock, songthrush, wren, goldcrest heard, great tit( first for me in trow) and woodcock flew into main bowl, circled and flew straight back out.
Robin in trow first bay and 2 shags just off shore.
Two more redwing in second bay.
Single redwing and reed bunt on leas mound.
Nice to see Steve and Jan in main bowl on my way back

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Some shot's from today of Snow Bunting on Shield's Pier..

Attached pictures:
DSCF0838-002.JPG
DSCF0839-001.JPG
DSCF0830-003.JPG

Last edited Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Quote: Jarra Sid wrote in post #2088
Some shot's from today of Snow Bunting on Shield's Pier..

Nice shots there Sid - a real bonny looking bird

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 am
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Little Bunting on The Leas and a Richard's Pipit on Whitburn C.P. today allegedly. if anyone is in the area they might want to keep an eye out. I'm sure the crowds won't be hard to spot

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:33 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Had a walk down the pier with the bairn this morning, three snow bunting still present with one female bunt getting within a few feet from us. Two redwing seen in marine park on way back home

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Great weekends birding this weekend. Had my nephew to stay on Friday (5 year old) who was WELL impressed with Adrian and Andy's work in the ringing hut on Saturday morning. Don't know whether to feel thrilled or guilty that I am pushing him into the birding world ;)
Took him and the family to Washington Wetlands Trust all afternoon and had a great time letting him tick off all the new (wild) species that he saw. This included a Sparrowhawk flattening the blue tit Joe was watching on the feeders at the Hawthorn hide - poor kid was speechless then very impressed.
Went down to Sandhaven afetr we dropped him off and ended up coming back with a young BH gull which was dumped at our feet by a large wave. Brought it home after consultation with a trusted expert and warmed it and dried it out overnight. It survived the night and took food and water from us but still wasn't right so it is now in the care of a wildlife rescue place in Blyth. Feels great to have helped it even if people might say it was 'just a gull'. Dropped into Creswell while I was over the river and got my first ever Jack Snipe!
Cracking weekend!
regards all
Chris

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Had a walk around Marsden Beach this morning ,Grey Wagtail hanging with the Pieds near Camels Island,Turnstones ,Oystercatcher,two young Eider feeding close to the shore,lovely day..........Laurence.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Great views of the three Snow buntings on the pier near the first gate earlier this evening, two guillemot feeding in the fairly ferocious swell near the pier side and a grey seal chasing fish out of the water in the bay at Littlehaven. Smattering of Turnstone on the pier near the Lifeboat station and two GSW in marine park.
Saw the entry for the Barred Warbler on bird guides while at the pier so drove straight up to Whitburn Coastal Park and was rewarded with stunning views of a lifer for me - absolutely chuffed to bits.

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

2 twite landed and fed on jackies beach today for just a couple of minutes, then they flew south, right place right time.

Attached pictures:
twite 2_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
twite 3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
twite 4_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:03 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:21 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Quote: keithmc wrote in post #2095
2 twite landed and fed on jackies beach today for just a couple of minutes, then they flew south, right place right time.

And nice pictures to boot Keith - well done mate

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 pm
by Mickys | 70 Posts

A couple of weeks back I was watching a barn owl near Hartlepool. It was going between two nest boxes dropping voles in 1 of the boxes. I thought it must be storing them for a rainy day but last weekend was at the same site and there was young birds outside of the box. Surprised it still had young and that they still could not fly yet. I hope the winter is a mild one for these. Attached some shots from last weekend but most were from a considerable distance.

Attached pictures:
merlin.jpg
barn owl.jpg
goldfinch.jpg
kestrel.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:39 am
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Quote: Steve Egglestone wrote in post #2098
Not a bad Garden list -
http://birdingfrontiers.com/2012/10/17/e...r-in-my-garden/

I'm surprised he doesn't live next door to John!!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

A look around SAFC ponds and Whitburn area today,good count of common birds,Robin,Blackbird,S Thrush,Wren,Bull,Gold & Green Finch ,Kestrel, Sparrowhawk,Usual waders along the coast,looked like two Grey Plover in amongst the Goldies amd Female Goosander on the main Footie pond.

Attached pictures:
goosand.gif
grey-plov.jpg
kes.jpg
robin.jpg
starlo.jpg
goosi.jpg

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: