RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Quote: Rob Adair wrote in post #1980
Yet another poor year for the local Red Kite population

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=3395

Rob a shame about the kites but I'm pretty sure they will recover given a decent couple of years. They are well looked after by F oRK -They are the most fantastic birds and I sometimes get the impression they are taken a bit for granted in Gateshead certainly not by me I love seeing them.

Steve fantastic picture of the tern and fish

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Juv Little Gull amongst Terns on Sandhaven 1400 hrs today
Top Job and well done all after this mornings great news.

Berb

Attached pictures:
lit-g.jpg
lit-gull.jpg
lit-gul.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Great shots Berb.
What was this mornings news?
Chris

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 pm
by Ray-S | 207 Posts

South Shields pier for an hour or so today.
Mainly Roseate terns along the pier with a couple of common, plenty guillemots on the water, a few sanderling, single little gull, which was on the beach, turnstone, single fulmar, which flew around the pier, and an arctic skua which chased one of the terns before dissapearing out to sea.

Attached pictures:
Arctic Skua_MG_2476.jpg
Arctic Skua_MG_2477.jpg
Fulmar_MG_2955.jpg
Little Gull_MG_3072.jpg
Roseate Tern_MG_2881.jpg
Sanderling_MG_3249.jpg

Ray

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a walk along Littlehaven beach this morning with the dog and just before the pier noticed a young guillemot on the beach. In trying to keep my dog off the bird another dog made a grab for it but I just managed to grab the bird before either dog did. Although not injured it did look under fed but as I couldn't have transported it home and it wasn't safe on the beach I put it onto the water where it swam out towards the piers.

I hope that it survives.

Brian

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:21 pm
by sedgedunum warbler | 5 Posts

Fingerscrossed for the little fella

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Quote: Brian.G wrote in post #1985
Had a walk along Littlehaven beach this morning with the dog and just before the pier noticed a young guillemot on the beach. In trying to keep my dog off the bird another dog made a grab for it but I just managed to grab the bird before either dog did. Although not injured it did look under fed but as I couldn't have transported it home and it wasn't safe on the beach I put it onto the water where it swam out towards the piers.

I hope that it survives.

Brian

Lets hope so Brian.
Last week whilst I was watching the Terns on the pier rocks a bloke and his son came up to me and he said " here mate ya've missed a good-un along there (refering to the end of the pier), just seen a penguin on the edge of the pier". I felt a bit bad having to inform and explain to him it would have been a Guillemot, and why they are a common sight around here this time of year. An article the Sun newspaper ran a while back, I did mention( same type i.d. issue) seemed to lessen the blow.

We still had at least 4 Med. gulls using the Shields coastal stretch( Trow entrance approach- larger Marsden car park) yesterday. First 2 shots -these 2 birds were still present today and still acting as if paired up.( all different birds in pics).

Attached pictures:
med 1.JPG
med 2.JPG
cp med 3.JPG
med 4 (Large).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:59 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Just back from south west of France and finally got through over 900 photos to start posting some and asking for help. Being the numpty that I am when it comes to bird ID I got a few surprises when I have looked at the photos and discovered that they are different to what I thought they were!!!

Pic 3 I thought it was a little egret until I looked closer. I think cattle egret anyone agree?
Pic 4 a big change from the stack at Marsden - and a lot warmer!!
Pic 5 I had a macro lens on and thought this was a harrier. Big surprise to find it was an eagle
Pic 6 Canny garden tick, sorry Steve. regular visitor
Pic 7 & 8 are these both pied wags?

All help (and any corrections) welcome

Brian

Insect photos may take a little longer to ID

Attached pictures:
Black kite.jpg
Black winged stilt.jpg
Cattle egret.jpg
Cormorants.jpg
Short toed eagle.jpg
Green woodpecker.jpg
Wagtail.jpg
Wagtail1.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:16 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Brian

My record of Identifying birds is hardly the best but I'm confident you have Cattle Egret and 2 Pied Wags.

Looking at the pictures you have posted on the Picture gallery are you sure they should not be in the South Tyneside Page??

Paul

Last edited Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

couple of local sites visited today, firstly trow, and not a great deal to report from here or the leas mound, although it looks like some of the shrubs we planted here a while back are really shooting up, with the broom looking really good. marsden quarry was much better birdwise, linnet,gold,green and chaffinch, GSW, willow warbler, chiffchaff, whitethroat, blackcap, and garden warbler, pied fly, dunnock, 2 little owls, and a family of wrens(5 juvs). i then got a text of a yellow legged gull at boldon flats, only to hear that it flew over my car as i pulled up. other birds here were greenshank, ruff, redshank, wood sand, dozens of snipe a peregrine flew over and a male merlin flew through, then doubled back and flew back through just metres from the road giving fantastic views.
one of the juvy wrens.

Attached pictures:
wren_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:36 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Just a couple of shot's from today...There was quite a lot of gull's had this dummy In their mouth's..Nice chat with Steve & Jill today until we had to make quick getway because of rain....Bit bad new's Dead Guillemot floating at side of pier..

Attached pictures:
DSCF0646-002.JPG
DSCF0654-002.JPG

Last edited Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:40 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

boldon flats 11.30. 2 ruff, 2 greenshank, 2 redshank, 7 snipe. merlin flew through second day running at about the same time.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Peregrine over the pier end this morning around 9am. Turnstone, guillemot and terns also present.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

west pastures yesterday evening, 5 buzzards, 2 kestrels, 1 saker falcon.

Attached pictures:
2 buzzards_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Spotted flycatcher in north marine park this morning, juv. gs woodpecker being chased by adult.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: