RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:17 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Looks good for a Arctic juv. to me Ray.

3 adult Roseates and 3 juvs. on the Shields pier rocks at 12.30 giving outstanding views. Also a adult and juv. on Sandhaven.

Canny mix on the rocks at Whitburn a little later including : 1 Barwit, 1 Knot (juv. or non s/p bird.), 2 Teal, Sanderling, Dunlin, 8 Eiders, Golden plovers, Redshanks, Turnstones, Oystercatchers and about 15 Sandwich terns.

Yesterday I spotted this Skua take a young gull out in the mouth of the Tyne. Not sure what species it is but probs just a Arctic.( posted on bf asking).

Attached pictures:
IMG_7855 (Large).JPG
IMG_7907 (Large).JPG
IMG_7928 (Large).JPG
IMG_7833 (Large).JPG

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Quiet along Don this morning,Curlew,Redshank.Oyster Catcher's.This afternoon I had 4 Long Tailed Tit's turn up In my garden.

Attached pictures:
DSCF0665-001.JPG
DSCF0669-002.JPG

Last edited Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

had these 2 light phase arctis skuas (i think) off the coastal park last night Steve, lso 1 dark phase and 60 common scoter.

Attached pictures:
arctic skuas_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:45 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Looks like the skua I seen in the mouth of the Tyne was a Great skua.
Roseates continue to show well on the pier rocks, 6 adults and 3 juvs there today. 4 adults and 2 juvs yesterday. And I think the regular Med. gull is back in residence in the larger Marsden car park.

Attached pictures:
IMG_8092 (Large).JPG
IMG_8136 (Large).JPG

Last edited Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 pm
by Ray-S | 207 Posts

Video of the Terns, taken on my last visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71qg1IDuh...=1&feature=plcp

Ray

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Had a shifty along the coast again today seen as the weather bunch got it wrong again.
Suprised to see a young Ringed Plover Family on the beach with three young only a few days old.Finally caught up with Steves Rosies along Shields Pier,best views i have ever had (thanks for heads up Steve).
Sadly it looks like the Whitburn Range is coming to the end,just hope there are no Barrets flags flying over it in the next few years or the poor Goldies will have to fly over to Boldon Flats at high tide.
BTW anyone going to the Twitchers Ball this weekend ?

Berb

Attached pictures:
ring-plov.jpg
plover-chick.jpg
rosie.jpg
rosie-blush.jpg
sosie-gob.jpg
rosie-family.jpg
the-end.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Walk along the coast today. Totally missed the rosies in fact totally missed most things apart from having a great chat with Keith Mc at the Whitburn Hide. At Trow were two Whinchat and a report of a flyover Hawfinch-must be a good sighting for Trow. Great views of the Med Gull at Marsden -other than that nowt!!!!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Not long back from Latimers (Whitburn) to see the Bonapartes Gull and two Black Terns (2 lifers) and a Yellow Wag.

Thanks Jason for the heads up on that one, mind you a couple of hundred yards further south and it would have been off territory for me so I probably wouldn't have gone but well pleased that I made the effort.

John

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Last edited Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Quote: johnsulli wrote in post #1958
Not long back from Latimers (Whitburn) to see the Bonapartes Gull and two Black Terns (2 lifers) and a Yellow Wag.

Thanks Jason for the heads up on that one, mind you a couple of hundred yards further south and it would have been off territory for me so I probably wouldn't have gone but well pleased that I made the effort.

John

Bloody Hell that's not a bad heads up Nice one

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Two pics from today a very distant Whinchat at Trow and the Marsden Med Gull (Until Jason tells me otherwise)

Attached pictures:
whinchat_.jpg
Med Gull.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

aye good to catch up Paul, didnt see much myself during the day, the evening was a different story though. As Steve said it turned into a bit of a mini twitch at latimers, amazing how quick the news spreads. couple of very distant record shots of one of the black terns with a common tern behind it to show the size difference and the yellow wagtail ( 100 yards +)

Attached pictures:
black tern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
yellow wagtail_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Cracking views along the pier this afternoon of a Black tern( adult I think going into winter plumage). Ray first seen the bird at 3.30 pm.. Rosy adult and juv. also present whilst here.

Attached pictures:
IMG_8421 (Large).JPG

Last edited Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:59 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Managed these shot's today,While walking along Pier,The 2 Tern's,I'm waiting for an expert to put me right....Couldn't make my mind up about what shot of Sanderling to put on....I took plenty..

Attached pictures:
DSCF0654.JPG
DSCF0655.JPG
DSCF0661.JPG
DSCF0667.JPG
DSCF0670.JPG
DSCF0680.JPG
DSCF0682.JPG
DSCF0683.JPG

Last edited Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:45 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:57 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

had a walk down WCP this evening, garden warbler on the approach path to the obs. then along along to jackies beach where i sat for a while watching the terns and waders arriving and departing the big square rock about at the north end of the beach. mostly common tern a few sarnies and 1 adult roseate. then i heard a yellow wagtail towards the middle of the beach and spotted it flying up towards the range, when i walked along i saw another, both of them juvs, feeding on the overturned ground where the old butts are. 2 shelduck south. also 2 emporer dragonflies hawking around the south pond wiewed fromn the wooden screen.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 am

Rosy adult Sid and Juv.Common tern me thinks.? Sanderling are just lush!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: