by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Your spot on Keith...

Attached pictures:
DSCF0568-001.JPG

Last edited Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm | Scroll up

RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

It is good to see the swallows back on Cleadon hills after a long rain break, it must have been difficult searching for insects in all of that rain. Just waiting for the butterflies to return.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Over 120 Golden plover back at Whitburn now, plus 40-50 Lapwings. Redshank numbers pretty high also, over 100 birds here now. Poor for Terns on this visit but good numbers of Sand martins skimming the grassed areas above the cliffs..40-50 birds today.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:30 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:48 pm
by jarradug | 154 Posts

Three 1sts for me the last couple of days. Red Crested Pochard and Bar Headed Goose at Saltholme.

Pectoral Sandpiper at Cresswell Pond. Zillions to go though.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Got the Pectoral Sandpiper last night at Cresswell - fabulous looking little thing. Also group of 7 black tailed godwits, little gull, avocet nesting and common, arctic and sandwich terns. This combined with the Storm Petrel on Saturday night made it a hell of a good weekend.

On top of that - just come back from an hour on the beach at Marsden and have been treated to one of the BEST wildlife displays I have ever seen in the area. A pod (?) of about 20-25 cetaceans, Bottle nosed Dolphin and a group of Harbour Porpoise, feeding, breaching and generally messing about just off the beach at Marsden. One of those moments when nature truly takes your breath totally out of your lungs and makes you realise just how fabulous it really is. I have never seen anything like this in the waters near here - atrue privilege I will never forget. Stunning. I am still buzzing :)
Apologies for the total child like enthusiasm but it really was brilliant! A group of people had gathered when we came up the steps as a pparently the news was all over facebook. Hope someone else on here had the chance to see them.
Chris
P.S Did anyone get any decent shots of the Storm Petrel on Saturday night? Didn't get one myself and would like to see the photos if there are any about.

Just seen Keith's post on the wildlife thread - may have been wrong about the identification but what the hell - In our defense - no bins with us at the time. May stop id'ing stuff on here - have a horrific tendency to be wrong... It was cool all the same :)

Crested Tits do not exist

Last edited Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Pair of little owl opposite trow second bay at dinner time, 2 juvenile and 1 adult male pied wagtail in the main bowl. Couple gannet seen off first bay

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Quote: chrismckie wrote in post #1895

Apologies for the total child like enthusiasm but it really was brilliant! A group of people had gathered when we came up the steps as a pparently the news was all over facebook. Hope someone else on here had the chance to see them.
Chris
P.S Did anyone get any decent shots of the Storm Petrel on Saturday night? Didn't get one myself and would like to see the photos if there are any about.

:)

Chris

Don't apologise for your enthusiasm events like that are what makes life the joy it can be

Paul

Last edited Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:08 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Cheers Paul :)

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:39 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

well said Chris , the dolphins were amazing. We'd be very lucky to see them in those numbers at that range again, plus the weather conditions were spot on, a fantastic spectacle. Later on that night i was over at west pastures where myself and a couple others seen 2 SEO's, 3 juvenile LEO's and an adult tawny fly into the trees carrying food, to a couple of noisey youngsters, rounded the day off nicely.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Five brand new mallard hatchlings on the marine park pond this afternoon at three o'clock, by four o'clock they were down to 4 ducklings

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Four adult sandwich terns with six juvs, 2 adult common tern with four juvs near pier first gate at dinner time

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Had a mooch around the doors the last two mornings,still lots going on,just a shame about the Fox i had to pick up off Moor Lane this morning,still warm so must have just been hit.

Bob

Attached pictures:
wilwarb.jpg
kesmars.jpg
kesmars1.jpg
reed-w.jpg
lin.jpg
duk.jpg
reedw1.jpg
fox.jpg
lowy.jpg

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:31 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

I took this shot at River Don on wednesday night.....

Attached pictures:
DSCF0645.JPG

Last edited Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:29 am
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Great shots Berb especially the warbler ones!. That Duckling looks to be of the ' mixed up type/ mucky duck' variety.

Nice Eider Sid on the Don.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:36 am
by Ray-S | 207 Posts

South Shields/Souter yesterday:

About 85+ Terns on Sandhaven beach, comprising of a mix of Sandwich and Common with young and what looked like a single Arctic, also a handful of GBB Gulls and a strange looking gull, maybe just a young Common. see image !?.
Called at Souter stack, pretty much the same as last visit minus the razorbills, but nice to see the young Kittiwake and Fulmar etc on the wing.

Attached pictures:
_MG_1076.jpg
_MG_1821.jpg
_MG_2145.jpg
_MG_1017.jpg
_MG_1109.jpg
_MG_1293.jpg
_MG_1301.jpg
_MG_1362.jpg
_MG_1518.jpg
_MG_1544.jpg
_MG_1794.jpg

Ray

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: