RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

your right there keith

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 pm
by chrismckie | 104 Posts

Stopped at Boldon Flats at about 7.45 this evening. No sign of the two pairs of Gadwall I was watching yesterday. Three pairs of Mallard, two Canada Geese, Two Mute Swans, 10+ Lapwing, 15+ Coot (a lot of them nesting), Three Moorhen, Single Snipe, Single Curlew, Single Grey Heron, Pair of Pied Wagtail. Single Swift seen amongst the Swallows and Martins, Lone Robin singing it's heart out with a Single Whitethroat scratching from the hedgerow.
High point was the number of Sand Martin and Swallows dipping and diving over the water and extremely close to me as I was watching - I love the noise that they make and to hear the sound of their wings and the wind as they shot by was fabulous!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 am
by keithmc | 318 Posts

Chris there is a pond on the other side of the railway lines near the cricket club, which the gadwall visit. when they are not on the flats there's a good chance thats where they are. they headed in that direction when i was there yesterday about 12.30.

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 am | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for that Keith - I am heading out now to get some stuff for Marie so I think I might have a dodge past and see what is occurring

Scroll up

Wild Geese

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 am
by The Adventurer | 3 Posts

Here's a couple of photo's of a family of Greylag Geese taken at Lamesley Pastures yesterday. I trust they are in the correct section.

Barry

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 am | Scroll up

RE: Wild Geese

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 am
by The Adventurer | 3 Posts

I don't know how I managed to end up with three identical photo's.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 12:19 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Quick walk along Don this morning..Chiff Chaff,Willow Warbler's,Bullfinch,Oyster Catcher,Blackcap's,lot's of Wren & Robin..

Attached pictures:
DSCF0542.JPG
DSCF0545-001.JPG
DSCF0557.JPG
DSCF0562-001.JPG

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 pm | Scroll up

Bird Sightings

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 12:29 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Good news with my garden Wren which nests in the shed from time to time and last year decided not to but this year after seeing it occasionally going in and out of the shed it is now going back and forth with food so it is feeding chicks.

John

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 12:46 pm | Scroll up

RE: Bird Sightings

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 pm
by keithmc | 318 Posts

spotted flycatcher was still at the doctors garden today, possibly another one there aswell. also photographed this great spotted woodpecker with a ring on its leg. unfortunately i couldnt get any details from it. loads of sand, house martins, swallows and swiftsat the academy and at least 3 sedge warbler singing.

Attached pictures:
gsw_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
spotted flycatcher 3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
spotted flycatcher 2_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
sand martin_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

barbed wire love

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Had to go across the water to Holywell earlier today so sought out and found Holywell Pond for the first time. Really nice place - lots of bird life around.
Great Tit, Skylark, Tree Sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch , Mallard, Mute Swan, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff, Coot, Moorhen, two Canada Geese with six Goslings, two Grey Heron, five Greylag, two Lesser BB gull, Tufted Duck, single Pochard, single Pink Foot Goose, Lapwing, two Arctic Tern, three Common Sandpiper, Reed Bunting, awesome Blue Tit nest, Yellowhammer, Sedge Warbler, Swift, Swallows, Sand and House Martin, Curlew heard but not seen, male Pheasant, Wren.

Decided to head across to St Mary's Island on the wat back and have a look at the Wetland area and see what was about. Got bloody soaked but managed to pick up Shelduck, Tufted Duck, Grey Heron, Swallows, male Red Fox patrolling the back of the wetland, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Eider duck off the coast, Skylark, Brown Hare, Reed Bunting, Linnet, numerous Whitethroat, Meadow Pipit, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Sandpiper, Pied Wagtail

Boldon Flats at about 7.30pm:
Sand Martin, Coot, Mallard, Moorhen, Lapwing, Chiff Chaff, three Oystercatcher, single Curlew, pair of Gadwall, LBB, two Redshank, pair of Grey Partridge

Academy Pools about 8.15pm: Shed loads of mud.
Robin, four distinct Whitethroat, Reed Bunting, two Sedge Warbler, Grey Heron, Goldfinch, Linnet, Mallard on the nearest pond, Swallow and Sand Martin, Willow Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Grey Partridge near entrance to the path.
Will try again at a more reasonable hour for birds :)
Really hoping to track down my first Lesser Whitethroat this summer (I use the term in it's loosest possible sense of course...)

Chris

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

You've got a shed load of birds there today Chris in fact its probably more than my year list.

John

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Last edited Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 am

A lot of them are duplicated at the different sites John :) But not bad for what was a thoroughly enjoyable day's birding - if a tad wet

Crested Tits do not exist

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Barry

I've been watching this family for a couple of weeks now -started off with two chicks which quickly become four then five but it looks as if you have six there in your picture

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri May 18, 2012 8:30 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

thats a canny day out that chris

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: