RE: Bird Sightings in General

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Paul, I think the only problem we would have continuing to feed the birds through the breeding season is that the area becomes so overgrown that most of the feeders wouldn't be reachable and there's not really any suitable branches "out front" to hang them from. I'd also hazard a guess at them being either stolen, damaged or vandalised in the warmer weather with the influx of kids, footballs and cricket bats.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Rob

Has anyone looked at getting a lock on the gates to the area in question or are ther issues with locked gates and keyholders etc.

Just a thought.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Hi John,

Steve enquired about the possibility of a key for the main gate to enable us to top up the feeders "out of hours" but I believe it fell on deaf ears. Personally, I couldn't see a problem with the gates being locked and access to the area restricted, as nobody really has a need to be in this area. When it is used it tends to be owners of puppies or "unsocialable" dogs so they can have a run around. However new signs have recently went up warning that dogs must be kept on a leash at all times and the area is regularly checked by the dog warden, so maybe the group could approach the council regarding this? I think the only issue with locking the gates would be the natural instinct of kids to climb over to see why the gates have been locked.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:23 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

HiAll

Jarra Sid just reported 10 Waxwing in Valley View Park Jarrow at 12:20 p.m today

Regards
John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
Paul,

I think I would stop in the spring mainly to give my pocket a rest plus you have done your job and helped the birds (and mammals) get over the winter.

Brian

Brian

Two very good points.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Female Sparrowhawk in the garden again sitting on its regular perch this morning at 08:00 am.

Last edited Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:48 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Just came through the allotments at the Jack Clark Park and 20 Waxwings on the crab apple tree in one of the gardens near Horsley Hill Road.

John

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Had another wander around Fatfield / Cox Green area today with the nice weather. Loads of activity and birds singing. Saw GSW, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin, LLT, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Robin, Pheasant, Magpie, Crow, Woodpigeon, Grey Heron, Teal, Redshank, Goldeneye, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Shelduck, Mute Swan, Cormorant and a tantalising glimpse of what was almost definately a Nuthatch, but it cleverly kept the tree trunk between itself and me until it disappeared.

Showing 15 degrees in the car at 3pm and I was roasting in only a thin fleece and t-shirt after walking for just over 2 hours.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:55 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Picture of the Waxwing in JCP allotments today. Plenty of old apples still on the tree so they may hang around.

The tree is next to the privet so it gives great cover to get up close to the birds.

John

Attached pictures:
Waxwings JCP 006 copy.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Good find, John,

I've not seen Waxwings at the JCP before, wonder if it's the same birds that were on Lincoln Rd a few weeks back..

Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:33 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

8am this morning, 22 Waxwings counted on a telephone wire back of Coleridge Avenue / front of Wentworth, so they're still hanging around. I literally stood underneath them and they weren't spooked.

7:30am, westoe cem feeders, 4x House Sparrow, 2x Dunnock, 8x Woodpigeon, 1x Feral Pigeon, 2x Blackbird, 1x Goldfinch, 1x Robin and 1x Greenfinch.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

20 waxwings on the apple tree John saw them in when i popped into the allotments this morning. Couple common frogs hopping about too

Attached pictures:
waxi.jpg
waxi 2.jpg
Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by IanMc
20 waxwings on the apple tree John saw them in when i popped into the allotments this morning. Couple common frogs hopping about too

I don't think they are the same ones Ian, yours look far better than mine.

Regards
John

PS
Still loads of fruit on the tree so they might hang around and are probably the ones from Coleridge Ave that Rob reported

Last edited Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

They didn't stay long, i only had five minutes watching them before a metal gate blew shut and frightened them off. Pity as the sun came out shortly afterwards

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I am sure they will be back Ian if the food is there for them.

Its pretty good for Photographs with the high privet next to the tree allowing you to get close up.

John

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: