RE: Souyth China Sea

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Happy Bithday Ian...

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Happy birthday Ian, hope you had a good'un!

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Westoe cem feeder update; two ground feeding platforms were put in place today, I've made them as heavy as possible so hopefully the rogues will give up trying to carry them away! Two bird tables are also currently work in progress and will be in place shortly as will the bin lids for the water. I've replaced a couple of the stolen feeders and pruned the Sycamore that was blocking the view.

Here's a few shots from this afternoon:

feeders1a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

feeders2a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

feeders3a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

feeders4a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 pm | Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:16 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Excellent work Rob it looks great and I will have to pop along and take a look.

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Last edited Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm | Scroll up

in General Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:49 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Cheers everyone

Scroll up

Westoe Cem

in General Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:05 am
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

After seeing Rob's pictures of the feeding station I decided to see the impressive work myself. A big well done to Rob and everyone involved it's a cracking little site. Not much around while I was down there Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tit Robin, Blackbird an d what i can only assume was a Sparrowhawk which I only saw out of the corner of my Eye as it flew through at 500000 miles an hour.

I did have to to stop two low life's trying to climb over the fence into the feeding area-I hope this isn't going to be a problem but i suspect it might be. But did also speak to an older man who said people had been talking about the area and how nice it was to see the feeders back.

I wandered down to the pier not much around a couple of Rock Pipits, a dozen Sanderling and the Kestrel which seems to have made it's home down there. Went to Trow but by the time I got there I could only see about three foot in front of me. I did notice as I was pulling up a canoeist setting off within about five minutes the fog came down and you couldn't see a thing God knows which continent he would have ended up in

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Blue Tit2.jpg 
 Great Tit2.jpg 
 Sanderling2.jpg 
 Sanderlings2.jpg 
 Kestrel2.jpg 
Scroll up

RE: Westoe Cem

in General Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Thanks Paul! We usually get a good number of Goldfinch and LT Tit and I've seen a lot more Coal Tit this year as well (hammering the niger seed of all things!) Unfortunately we do get a Sparrowhawk, probably more so this year as the site is wide open to attack since the heavy pruning. Still waiting for a GSW to put in an appearance on the suet block, but it's only a matter of time as they successfully bred here this year. Fingers crossed the Brambling and Siskin should also be back as well.

I've had a lot of comments and questions from the local dog walkers, all of them positive and most of them not realising it was me who actually maintained the site. This is great as I'm known locally for my dog walking/pet sitting business and these people will keep an eye out and have a word with the low lives who treat the area as a public sunbathing /drinking /drug taking area.

Just a case of getting the water and bird tables in place now and then hopefully, with the help of STMBC's Tony and Claire, we'll get the habitat sorted (re: hedging and meadow flowers) and the gap in the fence sorted.

Scroll up

in General Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

does anyone know if this spotting scope is any god,cheers

Olivon T80 20-60x80 Spotting Scope

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

I've got the Olivon T90ED (22-68x90) and it's excellent, but I'm not sure how good their non ED glass is as there is a massive price difference? Although not as well known brand wise, mine is better than the Opticron scope I started with IMO. Most people will probably point you in the direction of Kowa, Opticron, Viking or Zeiss, which will definately have a better resale value if you decide to upgrade.

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

been looking at a nikon ed 50 field scope,small but very good reports
theres loads to look at,
cheers rob

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Quote: sless wrote in post #912
been looking at a nikon ed 50 field scope,small but very good reports
theres loads to look at,
cheers rob

Hi Sless - i've got one of these - its a real beauty - very bright optics, no purple fringing and like you say very small - i have the zoom eye piece in it which is pretty decent, although at full zoom it darkens down a bit. I've used it on the bean bag i use for photography so it doesn't need a tripod although it is defo better with a clamp than trying to hand hold.

I would think it would be reasonable enough to digiscope with as well as the image is definitely pretty bright - the non zoom eye pieces are even better.

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

I'm sure that most of you will have received this email today, but for those who haven't here's the outcome so far:

The e-petition 'Introduction of offence of vicarious liability for raptor persecution in England' signed by you recently reached 10,587 signatures and a response has been made to it.

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response: Defra is aware of the Scottish Government's decision to introduce a vicarious liability offence under the Wildlife and Natural Environment Act (Scotland) 2011, which came in to force on 1 January 2012. The new offence is targeted principally at addressing the persecution of raptors. The new offence will mean employers or agents may be prosecuted where an employee is found to have illegally killed a bird of prey (or other wild bird) - in effect they may be prosecuted for the same offence. There is, however, a defence that an employer or agent can rely on, this being that they did not know an offence was being committed and that they took all reasonable steps to prevent an offence being committed. It is unclear whether in practice the new offence will result in successful prosecutions of employers or agents. There are no immediate plans therefore to introduce a similar offence in England but Defra will look carefully at how the offence works in practice in Scotland. The development of our future wildlife crime policy will include consideration of how effective the new offence in Scotland has been in helping to address raptor persecution. This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

View the response to the e-petition

Thanks,

HM Government e-petitions http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

Looks like we need a few more signatures then!

Scroll up

in General Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm
by sless | 150 Posts

cheers for that degsy,think i might just put it on my christmas list hahaha

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: