RE: Souyth China Sea

in General Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 pm
by jason | 255 Posts
Scroll up

in General Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Managed to fit an hour into the feeding station at Westoe cem this afternoon. I've strung some fencing wire between the trees from the centre to the far left to hold the feeders which should be a more permanent arrangement. The fixings on the gates needed to be hammered straight after some irate chav or dog owner had booted them until they jammed and both the padlocks have been oiled as they were very stiff. I've also strung what was left of the fencing wire across the gap in the fence, which although isn't a permanent fix, should deter all but the most determined, wire cutter equipped dog walkers!

A customer of mine is donating a pile of unwanted wood which I'm hoping to pick up next week, this should be enough to get a couple of bird tables and a ground feeding station built and I'm also on the lookout for a couple of bin lids or similar to put some water into the area.

As some of the bird feeders were lost or broken during the "prune" any unwanted feeders would be most appreciated to help restock the area and if anyone could spare a half hour this weekend to help with a litter pick that would also be great.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in General Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 am
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Excellent work Rob, well done mate.

Count me in for the litter pick, please let me know when you plan to start and i'll be there in plenty time.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Quote: Rob Adair wrote in post #887
Managed to fit an hour into the feeding station at Westoe cem this afternoon. I've strung some fencing wire between the trees from the centre to the far left to hold the feeders which should be a more permanent arrangement. The fixings on the gates needed to be hammered straight after some irate chav or dog owner had booted them until they jammed and both the padlocks have been oiled as they were very stiff. I've also strung what was left of the fencing wire across the gap in the fence, which although isn't a permanent fix, should deter all but the most determined, wire cutter equipped dog walkers!

A customer of mine is donating a pile of unwanted wood which I'm hoping to pick up next week, this should be enough to get a couple of bird tables and a ground feeding station built and I'm also on the lookout for a couple of bin lids or similar to put some water into the area.

As some of the bird feeders were lost or broken during the "prune" any unwanted feeders would be most appreciated to help restock the area and if anyone could spare a half hour this weekend to help with a litter pick that would also be great.

Scroll up

in General Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Count me in as well Rob.

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Scroll up

in General Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Thanks lads, I'm thinking Saturday morning as I've got nothing on until the afternoon. I'm easy time wise as I'm only a minute away on foot so whatever's easier for yourselves? It should only take a half hour, but gloves and sturdy shoes/boots please as there is a lot of glass and we've also had needles turn up in the past.

Scroll up

in General Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Had a young greenfinch on the ground tray this morning looking like it has trichomoniasis. Typicla signs of fluffed up feathers, looking generally unwell and hanging around the feeding area. For those who have never come across it before it is a parasite which causes their throats to swell and prevents them from eating. The parasite can be picked up from a few sources including the mother but it is a reminder to keep your feeders clean as these are a known source also. Mine were cleaned out recently.

Scroll up

in General Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:49 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

After yesterdays sterling effort with the litter pick and feeders at Westoe cem (thanks again to all who got involved) I popped up this afternoon to see if anything needed topping up. Wasn't really expecting them to have been touched with them just being put up yesterday, but certainly wasn't expecting to see that 2 seed feeders, 1 sunflower heart feeder, 1 fat ball feeder and 1 suet block feeder had been stolen either!

Words fail me...

Last edited Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:51 pm | Scroll up

in General Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I suppose it is always going to happen Rob, just hope they may have gone to someone who wants them for their garden but can't afford them rather than a case of vandalism where they have trashed them. Then again.......... Maybe not.

Scroll up

in General Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

This is the 3rd winter I've been involved John and so far we've only had 2 or 3 feeders stolen and a couple wrecked by squirrels, maybe the fact that they are so visible with the heavy pruning hasn't helped, but 5 in one day is just demoralising. Like you say, hopefully they'll be put to good use, but to stoop so low as to steal £1 bird feeders makes me wonder if they'll ever be refilled?

Scroll up

in General Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

John, the risk of theft has always been a issue at this feeding station area, but before this one today only 2-3 feeders have been nicked in the last 3-4 years of it being set up here. (and that includes when the gates here did'nt have padlocks on them).

The way this area has been cut back recently (without consultation) is non-wildlife friendly to say the least, but must look tidier to those who asked for it to be done.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 pm | Scroll up

in General Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are having problems at the feeding station. Just a thought do you think wooden feeders (as available on CCG website) might be better as they will blend in more with the background and make them less noticeable?

Scroll up

in General Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Came home from work this evening and found this carnage in the garden. Looked around for a reason and it seems they both must have hit the conservatory window (see second photo).

I assume that a sparrowhawk or something similar has flown through the garden and panicked them into flying into the window. A bit bizarre two getting killed at once.

These definitely don't look like they are diseased.

Brian

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DPP_8019.JPG 
 DPP_8021.JPG 

Last edited Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm | Scroll up

in General Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Brian
You are probably right about the Sparrowhawk as every year I get the same, only it is usually Collareds and Woodpigeon hitting the kitchen windows in their plight to escape and usually they leave an impression of themselves on the glass in what looks like talc or lanolin.

John

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

I know I joked about "wire cutter equipped" dog walkers the other day, but they do exist! Yes, the wire closing the hole in the fence has been cut down, but on a brighter note, no more feeders have been stolen (yet) and the sunflower hearts and fat ball feeders were replaced today, so fingers crossed!

The House Sparrow population have also returned and although the feeders haven't gone down by a great deal over the last 2 days, their was a good number and selection of species present this afternoon.

Scroll up

in General Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Happy birthday IanMc I hope it's a good 'un

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: