RE: General Chat

in General Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Interesting to see that on the Eastern Crowned Warbler thread on Birdforum the debate about suppressing sightings has started again. I don't think this will ever go away as there are always those for and those against. One thing is certain if Dougie and Derek had suppressed their sighting of the ECW the UK wouldn't have had a unique sighting that year.

Scroll up

in General Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:50 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Originally posted by Brian.G
One thing is certain if Dougie and Derek had suppressed their sighting of the ECW the UK wouldn't have had a unique sighting that year.

LOL - We couldn't have suppressed it even if we'd wanted to Brian, neither of us had a clue what it was . It was a good job Mark Newsome was looking in on BF that Thursday night else it would never have made the headlines..

In fairness to Dougie i did put him under a fair bit of pressure because i was shouting all sorts of stuff like - its a chiffchaff, no its a Willow Warbler nah its defo a Goldcrest especially when i got a view of the stripe down the middle of its head. Trouble was that Dougie didn't see that stripe as he was trying to get a picture, and i was helping him succeed by pulling his arm and shouting there it is, there it is, you got it yet .....

Hehehehehehe - certainly brings back some memories....

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Spent the day at Saltholme and the surrounding area today. Managed to see the Marsh Harrier at Dormans Pool along with 3 SEO's at Greenabella Marsh later this afternoon - other than that not much else to photograph, although there was a canny moon in the sky just before i set off home.
Anyway all my bird pictures from today were all pretty poor and i have tried to take the moon before with little success, but i'm much happier with this one.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 11-06-11-6533-DSC_7929.jpg 

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:39 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by degsy_safc
Anyway all my bird pictures from today were all pretty poor and i have tried to take the moon before with little success, but i'm much happier with this one.

Derek

Great photo what settings/lens did you use to get it? Like you I haven't had much success with photographing the moon

Brian

Scroll up

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Brian.G
Great photo what settings/lens did you use to get it? Like you I haven't had much success with photographing the moon

Thanks Brian - used my 500 f4 with a 1.7TC attached on a D300 giving 1.5 crop factor - so the equivalent field of view was;

500 x 1.7 x 1.5 = 1275mm

camera settings as follows:
Camera Model: Nikon Corporation D300
Exposure Bias Value: -0.333
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
Exposure Time: 1/60
FNumber: f10
Focal Length: 850
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 1,275
ISO Speed: 200
Lens Model: 500.0 mm f/4.0
White Balance: Cloudy

My mate has just bought a tracking device so he can photograph some deep space nebulae / constellations etc.... From what he has told me you take lots of exposures and stack them - but the bonus is you don't use exceptionally long telephotos, 200 / 300 mm being the longest and for some shots a standard 50 wide angle..

I think i'll have a go at astrophotography with him when we get some clear nights

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

Alright Derek, i took a similar picture myself last year (not quite as sharp) using 100-400mm canon lens i borrowed.
I used manual setting at f11 and 1/1000 shutter speed.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 moon.jpg 
Scroll up

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
Alright Derek, i took a similar picture myself last year (not quite as sharp) using 100-400mm canon lens i borrowed.
I used manual setting at f11 and 1/1000 shutter speed.

Hi Ian - yep looks very similar, almost the same amount of the moon in shadow, but with a slightly different rotational position. Did you shoot yours handheld, as your shutter speed seems very fast for the aperture, must have been at a pretty high iso.

I had the camera on the tripod and used mirror lockup with a remote release to minimise camera shake.

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

Christmas social evening

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Its getting towards that time of year again when thoughts turn to Christmas do's.

The next social night out for members of the CCG and other like minded folk and friends will be on-

Friday the 9th of December at the normal venue - Steamboat pub, Mill dam, South Shields.

The jollies generally kick off at about 7.30pm. The banter is great and the company brilliant!

All welcome.

ps. don't forget about the excellent talks at the lighthouse! Matts on wildflowers last week was brilliant.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm | Scroll up

RE: Christmas social evening

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

ps. don't forget about the excellent talks at the lighthouse! Matts on wildflowers last week was brilliant.

Yes it was an excellent talk Steve just a shame about the attendance, I thought a few more might have turned up
to find out about the rarities and other flowers about the place.

Regards

John

Scroll up

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm
by IanMc | 343 Posts

I had mine set up on the tripod and used my remote to stop camera shake, just checked my settings again and i'd used 1/250 shutter speed on f11, iso 400 and not 1/1000. I've always fancied trying a shot of the night sky out in the wilds well away from street lights

Scroll up

RE: Christmas social evening

in General Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:12 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by johnsulli

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Yes it was an excellent talk Steve just a shame about the attendance, I thought a few more might have turned up
to find out about the rarities and other flowers about the place.

Regards

John

Not only did Matt talk about the local rare and common flowers/plants etc. but some of the sites in our area regarding these where a great surprise to many of us!

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

November Events

in General Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:30 am
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi All,
Just thought I'd send a little reminder about what we have up and coming in November that you may be interested in:
Wednesday 16th November, doors open 7:15pm, quiz starts 8pm
Quiz Night
The Friends of West Boldon Lodge are holding a social quiz night and are inviting teams of up to 8 people to enter. The cost is £1 per person. The quiz will be pub quiz format and is general knowledge with a bit of a nature theme running through it. Hot & cold soft drinks will be available and you are bvery welcome to bring your own booze on the night. The aim of the night is to have fun, raise awareness of the Friends group and raise a bit of money towards a second All Terrain Wheelchair for West Boldon Lodge. Please register your team with Clare on 0191 4247423 or email friendsofwbl@hotmail.co.uk
Venue: West Boldon Lodge, National Grid Substation site, Newcastle Rd, West Boldon. NE36 0BG

Tuesday 22 November, 7pm – 8pm
Hedgehog Talk
Hedgehogs are one of our most popular and endearing mammals. In recent years it has been reported that the number of hedgehogs in Britain is declining, so it’s more important than ever that we do our bit to help our prickly friends. Find out all about them from local enthusiast Paula Charlton who has cared for hundreds of sick, injured and abandoned hedgehogs. The event is free to attend but please do bring your purse as various hedgehoggy items will be available to buy after the talk to support Paula’s work.
This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team event.
Venue: Reception Room, Town Hall, Westoe Road, South Shields. NE33 2RL
Contact: Clare Rawcliffe on 424 7423 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Sunday 27 November, 10am – 12noon
Willow Coppicing
Coppicing is a traditional method of managing trees in order to harvest wood without killing the tree. Learn this ancient skill and help us to harvest willow for use in projects such as Christmas craft events or take some home for your own use. All tools and instruction will be provided. Please dress warmly in old clothes and sturdy footwear. This event is not suitable for children under 8.
This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team event.
Meet: The small car park on Benton Road, just south of Heaton Gardens, South Shields. NE34 9UB
Contact: Matthew Hawking on 424 7422 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Scroll up

in General Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Originally posted by IanMc
I had mine set up on the tripod and used my remote to stop camera shake, just checked my settings again and i'd used 1/250 shutter speed on f11, iso 400 and not 1/1000. I've always fancied trying a shot of the night sky out in the wilds well away from street lights

Cheers Ian - thought that 1/1000 was a bit quick - getting everything to be perfect for good astro shots seems to be a bit difficult, but from what i can gather - its this time of the year when the conditions are probably best. Trouble is finding a really dark site, well away from any light pollution means somewhere like Kielder

Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:44 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Happy Birthday Derek.hope you have a good day.

Scroll up

in General Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Happy birthday Derek, have a good one.

Brian

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: