RE: General Chat

in General Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:16 pm
by degsy_safc | 458 Posts

Just noticed on the frontage of the forum its Sless's birthday today - Happy Birthday Mate

---------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Derek

Scroll up

in General Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Happy birthday Sless, don't get too drunk tonight!!

Brian

Scroll up

in General Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Yep happy birthday mate.

Scroll up

in General Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts
Scroll up

in General Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Had a wander around Westoe cem this afternoon with a couple of paying customers!

Absolutely shocked and disgusted to find the "tended" grave in the centre of the graveyard had been desecrated by, well god only knows and I'm sure this post would be deleted if I called them what I'm thinking.

All the little ceramic pots have been smashed to pieces and left scattered on the footpath for unsuspecting dogs to shred their paws on. I hope they rot in hell, which would probably not be half as bad as what I would be capable of if I ever catch them in the act.

Words fail me, they really do.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in General Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:02 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

As many of you are aware I was in France in August on holiday and this year decided to spend more time doing photography. I took 1225 shots and have eventually pruned them down and processed them and thought that I would share a few.

We were in Loire region which is central France and it was great to see harriers, buzzards, etc flying just down the lane in their natural environment without the fear of persecution. The only bird of prey I didn't see was a peregrine, I saw an eagle but it was too high to identify it. Tom and I were fishing on this huge lake when a pair of osprey dropped in to have a look at the lake but oncde they saw the fishermen decided not to stay. Despite all of the predators getting photos was much more difficult as they took flight very easily and I have a few shots of ring tails!!

I was informed of a good place for kingfishers so I went down early one morning to look for them. I did see one but couldn't get a photo of it. The first photo was a shot of a heron on the river. Shortly afterwards I saw something move in the river and went over to take a few pics thinking it was a coypu but was amazed to see this European beaver.

Another one that I was amazed to see was photo 4 in a clearing in a wood was this praying mantis.

Finally photo 5 can anyone identify this moth? This is found in Britian and I know many of you have mentioned this species before.

Brian

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Heron.jpg 
 Beaver1.jpg 
 Beaver2.jpg 
 Praying mantis.jpg 
 Mystery moth.jpg 

Scroll up

in General Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:27 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Nice shots Brian,amazed you got Mantis in France,nearest Mantis i have seen to Europe is Turkey.
Off on hols myself tomorrow,Majorca for two weeks,hoping to get some shots of Elenora Falcon,shat out six year ago when i was there cameraless.

Bob

Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Looks like a species of Hawkmoth Brian, but I wouldn't be sure which from the photo?

Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Rob

Good effort it is a hawkmoth, a hummingbird hawkmoth. Never having seen one except in flight I would not have believed it myself unless I had seen it arrive in the garden and land.

Brian

Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Brian

Love that first shot just goes to show you don't need to be close to a bird to get a stunning shot.

Paul

Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Wasp's at my neighbour's house.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSCF9412.JPG 

Last edited Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 pm | Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Funny, we've been overrun with wasps this week as well? No nest on our property so no idea where they are coming from, but they're bad tempered little sods!

Scroll up

in General Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Rob Adair
Funny, we've been overrun with wasps this week as well? No nest on our property so no idea where they are coming from, but they're bad tempered little sods!

My neighbour didn't know they were there until I told her,Have a good look round they could be nesting anywhere.

Scroll up

in General Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I think this is the time of year when wasps start to die and also become very aggressive so best stay clear of them. I have a nest at the bottom of the garden (thankfully) where they have burrowed into a dead tree, and at first I thought it was a woodpecker which is often around.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in General Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Dan
Brian

Love that first shot just goes to show you don't need to be close to a bird to get a stunning shot.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that it was one of those rare occasions when I saw then picture before I took the shot and knew it would be good.

Brian

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: