in General Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Brian

Did you mean to take a picture of the Cam(e)ra pub of the year

Scroll up

RE: General Chat

in General Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Here ia a quick quiz; Does anyone know the name of this building and where it is located in South Shields?

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 CCG1.jpg 

Scroll up

in General Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm
by Nicky | 18 Posts

It's not the Mission to Seafarers is it?

Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm | Scroll up

in General Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Nicky

I am not sure to be honest but you are in the right area - Mill Dam. To the left of the church is the The Quadrant and further around is the Mission to Seafarers - as well as the Steamboat!!

So I am not sure if this is connected to the Mission or not but it is the first time that I had noticed the building and wondered about it.

Brian

Edit I have just found on some old council plans for the area that the building is called Unity Hall

Scroll up

in General Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

The grass on Cleadon Hills has been cut, but to be honest it is later than usual and better appreciated. Over the last couple of days the insects must be low flying and everyone is commenting on the aerial displays of 6 sand martins which are just skimming the ground looking for insects.

In addition they are flying around people and their dogs as they disturb the grass and kick up more insects for them. Their flight displays are truly amazing.

Brian

Scroll up

in General Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Didn't know it was called Unity Hall Brian, but it used to be a Wesleyan Chapel (built 1856) that was converted into flats and not connected to the Mission to Seafarers.

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Scroll up

in General Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:49 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Here is an interesting article on the origin of birds, challenging the theory about Achaeopteryx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14307985

Brian

Scroll up

in General Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:30 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Just like to say I had a great couple of days full of fun and banter in great company with members of the group raising money for our projects over the weekend.

Well done.

John

Scroll up

in General Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Well said John, couldnt agree more.

Scroll up

in General Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:22 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

You may find this link on bug hunting in your garden of some use

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/nature/bug...beginners.shtml

Brian

Scroll up

in General Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:38 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Had the dog down the Leas this morning and see the farmers out cutting the grass which while I know has to be done it is such a shame as the grass and flowers are the highlight of the year for me down there

John

PS
Looking forward to the autumn and the migrants now

Scroll up

in General Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Another walk along the Leas this morning to see how the grass cutting had gone form yesterday and I see the farmer has left a good strip of long grass along the hedgerow this year which should give good cover for mammals mr farmer. Last year the grass was right up to the hedgerow and I don't know if it was coincidence or not but the Kestrel(s) did not seem to be down on the Leas this year as often as previous years.

John

Scroll up

in General Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 am
by Maeve | 7 Posts

Hey John, I've not been on this in a while!! Sorry! Hope everything is going well with the group and that your bid is going ok?? Just read your comment about the Kestrel...is it an issue on the Leas? Its just that at Crimdon there are little terns nesting but there is a Kestrel that likes to eat the chicks and eggs which is a shame as we really need these chicks to fledge! I was wondering if you and they guys had any tips on trying to temp the kestrel away from the nesting site and up to where there are other tasty things to eat that aren't as valuable to the coast!

Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 am | Scroll up

in General Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Maeve
So glad you are still popping into the site even if it is only ever so often. I don't think the Kestrel is a great issue at all and it is only my observations that I noticed the grass was cut back to the edges everywhere last year on the Leas and I wondered if it would have an impact on the mammal population (vole, shrew, mice) etc.
The years previous I would see the Kestrel(s) (m&f) almost everyday while walking the dog but this year when I see it on the odd occasion it actually makes me stop and stare at it and not take it for granted so to speak. As well as the Kestrel we didn't get the Short Eared Owls feeding as in previous years and I kind of came to my own conclusion that the cover for the mammals once taken away made them quickly disperse to other areas or they were taken by predators very quickly.

As for tips on trying to tempt the Kestrels north I can only think that you could keep suitable Kestrel hunting grounds away from the Tern nesting sites but they are an easy target for predators and a reliable food source for them.

Some of the other forum members with more experience then I might be able to have a better input for you.

Regards

John

Scroll up

Veteran Tree Event Tonight - 9th August

in General Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:56 am
by Clare | 63 Posts

Just thought I'd post about an event tonight in case anyone is interested - sorry about the short notice.

Tuesday 9th August, 6:30pm 8:30pm
Veteran tree walk
Join us for a leisurely two-mile stroll along the River Don Valley to look for the old and remarkable trees that are there and learn all about them. Vicki Newlove, from the Durham Biodiversity Partnership's Veteran Trees Project, will lead the way. The project raises public awareness about the importance of ancient and veteran trees in the region and needs your help. A database containing all of these fantastic trees is being compiled and the project would like you to record where they are. The project also works closely with landowners to ensure that trees are correctly managed and can be enjoyed by people and wildlife for hundreds of years to come.
Booking is not required.
This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team event.
Venue: Meet outside the Robin Hood public house, Hadrian Road, Jarrow, NE32 5UB
Contact for more information: Matt Hawking on 4247422 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: