RE: General Chat

in General Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Will certainly try! Cheers mate.

Scroll up

in General Sat May 21, 2011 1:02 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

Hope you are all getting better weather than me up in Highlands,lashed down and blown a hooli for two weeks,got a slight window for day visit to Handa Island but back to normal now.
Pulling out tomorrow and heading back south.

Bob

Scroll up

in General Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi Everyone

Just a reminder that the meeting on Climate Change is tomorrow night at Souter - 7 p.m for those that are intending to go.

Regards
John

Scroll up

in General Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Just a reminder to everyone that the next CCG night out is arranged for this Friday night ao 7.3opm in the Steamboat.

As usual all are welcome.

Brian

Scroll up

RE: Climate change and the Northeast Coast

in General Wed May 25, 2011 10:32 am
by Maeve | 7 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks a million to those who attended the meeting last night. I hope you found it interesting and got something useful out of it (besides biscuits and pringles!)
I really appreciated the turn out and I think we will have some great information panels to display from it (maybe with a CCG logo somewhere?!?!)

I will keep you posted on the outcome of the event and as usual if you want any more information you kow where to find me!

All the best,
Maeve.

Scroll up

RE: Climate change and the Northeast Coast

in General Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

I would just like to say thanks to you and Nick for taking the time to pass on your knowledge and info of our coastline Maeve, I certainly learnt from the talk. Biscuits & pringles were a bonus and a CCG Logo .

Regards
John

Scroll up

CCG.s public involvement dates.

in General Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Just a reminder folks-
I will be putting together the April report as soon as possible which hopefully will be a far more indepth account of the bird life in our area for this month compared to last months.
This can only be made possible by folks forwarding bird sightings to myself. I do pick up on certain posts on here and other web sites but I know alot gets under reported.
The report will be passed onto other interested parties for recording

This latest date is a tad short notice and is planned a day later with popular demand.

STEAMBOAT PUB at Milldam,Shields. This Saturday the 28th about 7pm.

Everyone is welcome including parteners(non birdy types :-))..

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Scroll up

Nice evening at Washington wwt

in General Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 pm

A few folk attended a "out of hours" tour of the centre last thursday kindly arranged by a member of our group.
We only had a couple of hours here but it was really nice all the same to have the place all to ourselves!...On the wild side-3 Hedgehogs, a Vole(probs bank), Newts, Avocets+ young, numerous breeding Common terns and Chimney sweeper moths to mention a few.
The Asian Otters didn't come out to play as they haven't since being placed here dispite having a really nice enclosesure...but one did poke its head out to have a look at us.
I hope another visit can be arranged in the future.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_8601 (Medium).JPG 
 IMG_8627 (Medium).JPG 
 IMG_8622 (Medium).JPG 

Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm | Scroll up

RE: Nice evening at Washington wwt

in General Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

I'm sorry I missed It,I hope to make next visit If possible.

Last edited Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm | Scroll up

June 2011 Events

in General Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:10 am
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi Everyone,
We have a couple of free events coming up this month which you may be interested in - you need to book for this weekend's walk, but the others you can just turn up on the day:

Sunday 12th June, 10am start
River Tyne Walk
This 8 mile walk starting at Gateshead Metro Station, takes in the delights of the River Tyne through South Tyneside and Gateshead.
We will be stopping for lunch at Bill Quay Farm where you can see the animals and the staff will be there on hand to chat to you. The walk will end at Hebburn Metro Station. Please bring packed lunch and dress sensibly for the event.
This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team Event.
Booking is essential for this event.
Venue: Meet outside Gateshead Metro Station, West Street, Gateshead.
Contact: Lisa Roberts on 424 7498 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Saturday 18th June, 10am – 12noon
Limestone Landscapes festival: Birds of The Coast
Join Mike Harris from the RSPB as we enjoy the sights and sounds of South Tyneside’s fabulous coastal birds. We will start at Marsden Bay, teeming with breeding kittiwakes, fulmars, razorbills and gulls. We will then walk the two miles or so down the coast to Whitburn Coastal Park to see if we can spot waders such as oystercatcher, ringed plover, dunlin and turnstone in the rocky pools. The walk will finish at Souter Lighthouse where drinks, snacks and lunches are available to eat in or take away. Mike may also be offering some bird related fun activities in the early afternoon. Binoculars will be available to borrow, but please bring your own if you have them, wear sturdy boots and dress for the weather. Booking is not required
This is a South Tyneside Council and RSPB event .
Venue: Meet by the ice-cream kiosk at the roundabout on the Coast Rd / bottom of Redwell Lane, Marsden, South Shields. NE34 7JS
Contact: Matt Hawking on 4247422 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Saturday 18th June, 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Limestone Landscapes festival: Flowers of the coast
Limestone Landscapes is a major new project celebrating our Magnesian limestone landscapes. This gentle 2.5 mile walk will take in Byer’s Hole, Whitburn Point and Rocket Green, looking at the special wildflowers that thrive where the influences of the limestone and the sea overlap. At Jackie’s Beach we will explore the rare vegetated shingle habitats. Throughout we will discuss why the plants are there and how to identify them. Booking is not required.
This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team event.
Venue: Meet in the Foghorn Field, Souter Lighthouse, Coast Road, Whitburn. SR6 7NH.
Contact: Matt Hawking on 4247422 or email: countryside@southtyneside.gov.uk

Thanks
Clare

Scroll up

in General Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:44 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Just been looking through the Landscape photographs in the Gallery and there are some cracking shots in there. Could be a 2012 calendar in there !

Well done to all the contributors.

Scroll up

The formally named "Boldon Environmental centre" is opening its doors.

in General Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Clare has kindly passed this email onto myself and Dougie to let folk know about changes with this site-
.....................................................................................................................................

Would you like to be a Friend of West Boldon Lodge?

The new benefits being offered to all members are:
· Access to the otherwise private nature reserve, by arrangement with Centre staff
· Discounts on event and course prices
· Exclusive ‘Friends only’ events and courses
· Priority notice and booking for popular events
· Social events
· Opportunities to get involved and support the work of the Lodge

The membership fee is just £5 for an individual or £15 for family membership comprising up to 2 x named adults and up to 3 x children. To join simply fill in the form attached to this email and return it to us with your payment.

We are holding a welcome night for new members on Monday 11th July at 6:30pm, which will include refreshments and a site tour as well as an opportunity to suggest events, courses and social events you would like us to run.

West Boldon Lodge is the only facility of its kind for schools and the wider community in South Tyneside. The Centre is run by Groundwork South Tyneside and supported by National Grid. The Friends of West Boldon Lodge support the Centre in delivering a variety of educational packages for young people from Foundation to Secondary age. Throughout the year there are a range of themed weeks and seasonal craft sessions.
The Centre is located within 15 hectares of land, which comprises a variety of habitats. The Friends assist the Education Team with the practical site management work tasks such as footpath, meadow and wetland maintenance. The Centre delivers a variety of public events and family learning session such as seasonal arts and crafts sessions, wild food events, Forest Adventure Days and Volunteer Make a Difference days. Corporate volunteering opportunities, room hire and training courses for teachers and environmental professionals are also offered.

We are also looking for people who would like to get a bit more involved in running the Friends of West Boldon Lodge, supporting the Lodge’s activities or managing the site. Perhaps you have time to spare, you may want to get out and meet new people, develop your skills or you may simply feel that you would like “to give something back.” There is no such thing as a typical volunteer. All sorts of people become volunteers for all sorts of reasons; the one thing that they have in common is that they want to help The Friends of West Boldon Lodge to support our community and do something rewarding with their spare time. We welcome applications from volunteers from all backgrounds and all areas of the community.
For further information on our volunteer opportunities please contact Clare Shakespeare-Watts on claresw@btinternet.com or write to Clare at The Friends of West Boldon Lodge, c/o West Boldon Lodge, West Boldon Substation, Newcastle Road, West Boldon, Tyne and Wear, NE36 0BG

The Friends of West Boldon Lodge are currently taking nominations for the Committee posts which will be appointed at the Annual General Meeting on 11th July at 6:30pm. If you are interested in putting yourself forward to sit on the Committee and helping to run the Friends group, then please contact claresw@btinternet.com for information on the post available and a nomination form.
Many Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Donnelly
Education Co-ordinator
Groundwork South Tyneside & Newcastle
Tel: 0191 536 4873
Fax: 0191 428 1155
Mobile: 0789 475 5447

www.groundwork-stan.org.uk

Last edited Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:02 pm | Scroll up

Wildlife Gardening

in General Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:44 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi All,
I just wanted to let you know about this event coming up, as we have got lots of local experts on board to share their knowledge:

In partnership with South Tyneside Council’s Countryside Team, Harlow Printing will be opening it’s wildlife garden on July the 6th from 6.30 PM. The event is to inform and encourage others to create wildlife gardens or dedicate a small area of existing gardens to support local wildlife.

On the night !
George Dunn, the gardening expert from the Shields Gazette will be in attendance to talk about suitable plants which will attract and support wildlife. He will also be advising on composting, pest control and other related subjects
Local expert Paula Charlton will be talking about hedgehogs and how to create an environment that is hedgehog friendly.
The Countryside Volunteers South Tyneside (CVST) will be showing some newts and other pond life and talking about creating and managing garden wildlife ponds.
Clays Garden Centre have provided some samples of wildlife homes for us to look at.
Groundwork, the creator of the Harlow Garden will be in attendance to advice and hopefully supply suitable plants

All are welcome whether businesses of individuals. If you have an interest in wildlife gardening or would like to get started please do come along to
Harlow Printing Limited - Storage & Distribution Centre
Waldridge Way
Simonside East Industrial Estate
South Shields
Tyne & Wear
NE34 9PZ

The evening kicks off at 6.30 pm and we hope to see you there.

Scroll up

in General Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Happy birthday Steve Egglestone I just noticed it on the front page of the forum. 47 years old?? Are you sure you didn't put in the wrong year on you d.o.b.??

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: