BIRD RINGING

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

For anyone who doesn't know, the northern car park of Whitburn Coastal Park is the site of the best Bird Ringing station in the North of England, if not the World!!! Our trusty green hut is at the base of the most northerly mound, and on this mound is where the majority of the Ringing takes place. There are two experienced Ringers, John and Adrian, and two Trainees, Andy and myself. Ringing takes place most weekends in Spring and Autumn, and some summer weeks also but there tends to be a break when its quiet in the summer. We are a very friendly mob (mostly), and anybody is welcome to come along and see what we do.

Jason

Scroll up

RE: BIRD RINGING

in Birds & Birding Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Well, it's safe to say this morning was absolutely cack!!! When we arrived at 5.30am it was light drizzle but over the course of the morning the rain got worse and worse and eventually we took the nets down around 10.30am. We had a grand total of 3 birds - 2 Willow Warblers and 1 Goldfinch. There were other birds around but because of the weather they were keeping their heads down. In other parts of the Coastal Park 1 possibly 2 Pied Flycatchers were seen (possibly the same bird seen twice?). The weather looks to be much better tomorrow so hopefully we'll have a better day.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:39 pm
by red | 51 Posts

Thanks Jason that is very interesting .

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

You are more than welcome!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Well, I didnt think it was possible but today was even worse than yesterday!!! The rain may have stayed away but unfortunately it was replaced by really strong winds. Initially we tried seven nets but the wind proved too strong and we took the less sheltered stuff down. In the five hours we were there we only Trapped one bird, although to be honest it was quite a goodie! The one bird we got was an adult Sparrowhawk, it was a new un-ringed bird and Andy had the pleasure of Ringing it. Its been a very disappointing weekend but in all honesty when the weather is poor there really is nothing you can do about it. Just hope that the next session is better!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Jason,

Great idea to start this thread I hope the weather gets better and the number of birds ringed improves for the team.

Brian

Last edited Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Nice to have you back Brian, hope you had a good holiday.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 pm
by Michael_A | 74 Posts

Could never make my mind up about bird ringing but looking at the results by the BTO (http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/rin...ringing-reports) in Durham and Tyne and Wear over the last three years out of '28973' birds ringed the recovery rate is only around 2%. Still can't make my mind up!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:10 pm
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Me and Brother just had a walk to the Hill's and across golf course to the Dell, around about 12.30 we saw a large dark brown raptor with a yellow beak and white tail markings,it looked like a Harris hawk if I'm not mistaken!

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:33 pm
by Berb | 133 Posts

I can understand the doubt about the returns on bird ringing but knowing personaly two dedicated ringers in the North East,J,B in South Tyneside & D.C in Teeside i know the amount of their time & dedication that is put into their work. When a good fall of migrant birds appear they are stuck in one place and not able to run around on a twitch like most other birders.
Thus i would say these are the guys that write the history books and in my mind deserve medals the size of frying pans.

Bob

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Berb
I can understand the doubt about the returns on bird ringing but knowing personaly two dedicated ringers in the North East,J,B in South Tyneside & D.C in Teeside i know the amount of their time & dedication that is put into their work. When a good fall of migrant birds appear they are stuck in one place and not able to run around on a twitch like most other birders.
Thus i would say these are the guys that write the history books and in my mind deserve medals the size of frying pans.

Bob

Here here! well said that man...Theres not many willing to spend almost all their spare time dedicated to recording like these folk. Without the records from ringing a lot of migratory knowledge would still not be known, also a few good birds would have been missed.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 pm | Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

The recovery percentage may seem small but ANY returns is better than no returns, and without this kind of work it would be extremely difficult to gain any knowledge or understanding of a birds life etc. And the birds are genuinely not harmed in any way. Obviously it doesnt appeal to everybody, which is absolutely fine, but it is done for the right reasons by people who genuinely care about the wildlife and environment. Which isnt a bad thing really is it?

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Just to let everyone know, myself and John are both on holiday next week. Adrian and Andy are still around and will be Ringing this weekend (and next!) if the weather is okay.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:42 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Ringing this morning was slow but steady. Re-traps; Robin, Wren. New birds; Robin (2), Chaffinch (2), Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock & Blackcap.

Scroll up

in Birds & Birding Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Now then, this morning was much better! The birds were obviously taking advantage of the milder weather and making a move southwards. A total of 31 birds were in the nets, only 5 were re-traps the rest new birds. Re-traps; Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird & Blackcap. New birds; Chaffinch (14), Great Tit (4), Blue Tit (3), Blackcap, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff, and the bird of the day, a female Pied Flycatcher. Hopefully this is the start of a great autumn!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: